Half Marathon Advice (Read 148 times)

Hey all,

I'm running the New Balance half marathon in less than one month's time and I'm currently averaging 40km a week including a 10km weekend run. Do I need to think about upping this in the last couple of weeks before I run?

I don't have time during the week to go beyond 10km but I can definitely do the full 21+km at the weekend.

It's been a number of years (over 5) since the last time I ran a half so interested to hear your advice.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How many days a week and how long has your mileage been at 40kpw? Your mileage does seem low to me, but I don't know what you've been doing. With the race only two weeks out, you don't have a lot of time to do anything that would really improve your race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

How many days a week and how long has your mileage been at 40kpw?

Probably a couple of months. I was injured for a period of 2-3 weeks however.

Yeah I have the feeling I'm short on mileage but I managed 8 miles at the weekend and felt good for another 8 so hopefully I will make it.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

You'll make it.  Just not time to increase mileage.  Keep your mileage where it is and then decrease a little right before the half marathon.  You should be fine finishing.  However, next time if you want to run better...make sure to establish a more defined base.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Half went ok, clocked 1:45 which I was reasonably pleased with. Placed 150 out of 1300 so can't complain. I actually felt pretty poorly for first half but got stronger, especially in final third. Looking forward to the next one!