Pacing - the most fascinating physiological phenomenon (Read 1366 times)

Rich_

Pacing is truly the most interesting, unexplained physiological phenomenon. We generally don't run to complete and utter exhaustion, reaching the end of the race and collapsing to the ground unable to move even another step. Instead we reach the end of the race, if paced correctly, completely unable to continue at that pace but clearly able to continue at a slower pace. Paced correctly you run the race distance at the maximum pace you can sustain for that distance. You can't run any further at that pace, but you can run further at a slower pace. Hey, you can always slow down and go further. Which means you selected the maximum pace you could run for that distance, but the maximum pace you could run for that distance did not result in complete exhaustion, just specific fatigue at that pace and distance. Which means fatigue is specific to a pace & distance. So, what determines the max pace you can run for a set distance? And, why is max pace for one distance different than the max pace for another distance? Fascinating questions. Solve the riddle of pacing and you make a giant step in solving the riddle of performance. Science has been busy, working on the riddle of pacing. Some new research is now available. But, even before we go there, a little logical consideration of the problem will shed quite a bit of light on the answer...
    Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
      Why did you stop in the middle of the post? Improper pacing? Big grin

jfa

Oh Boy, here we go again.......

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

There are physiological phenomena that are far more fascinating than pacing. Just ask Scout's mom.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Who's going to take his bait this time? Roll eyes
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We generally don't run to complete and utter exhaustion, reaching the end of the race and collapsing to the ground unable to move even another step.
              Runners don't collapse at the end cause they're wimps and they didn't run hard enough. Look at how Salazar ran -- he wasn't a wimp. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

There are physiological phenomena that are far more fascinating than pacing. Just ask Scout's mom.
                No

Relocated NE

We generally don't run to complete and utter exhaustion, reaching the end of the race and collapsing to the ground unable to move even another step. Ever hear of Dr. George Sheehan?
                    Trent put you up to this or just being a jerk?
                    And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

I know after my second Marathon I couldn't have run another 1km at any pace. I could barely walk to the first tree in the park where I had to sit for close to half an hour before attempting the very slow walk to the parking lot. After my first, yeah I probably could have went further at a slower pace. My conclusion is I paced myself properly in the 2nd and messedup the pace in the first.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Rich_

I know after my second Marathon I couldn't have run another 1km at any pace. I could barely walk to the first tree in the park where I had to sit for close to half an hour before attempting the very slow walk to the parking lot. After my first, yeah I probably could have went further at a slower pace. My conclusion is I paced myself properly in the 2nd and messedup the pace in the first.
                        Your post illustrates a very interesting point - the longer the race distance, the more difficult it becomes for the runner to slow down and continue running. It is rare to finish a short race, say 5K, and find large numbers of competitors sitting on the ground right near the finish line, barely able to walk. Most runners at the end of a 5k could, if required, continue to run, albeit at a slower pace. On the other hand, you are much more likely to see runners at the finish line of a marathon reduced to a walk, unable to continue running. Physiologically speaking, what is different about the fatigue at the end of a 5k different vs. the fatigue at the end of a marathon? Why could a runner continue running at a slower pace at the end of a 5k but be able to barely walk at the end of a marathon? Clearly, there is a difference in the nature of fatigue at these 2 distances - something that strongly influences the likelihood that the runner can or cannot continue on at a slower pace. Solve the riddle of pacing and the explanation for the difference in the nature of fatigue at different distances becomes clear.
                        Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner

A Saucy Wench

To quote Buffy. "Does the word "Duh" mean anything to you?"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I like cheese.
                            Scout7

My solution was to run more miles. And more beer.
                              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I wonder if this mysterious secret riddle of pacing might also explain what could possibly be the fatigue difference between running a sprint triathlon and running an ironman, a riddle that perplexes many...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.