The Water In My Amphipod Bottles Froze Up! Any Alternatives to H2O??? (Read 750 times)

I went out for a 12 mile run on Saturday morning with the temps in the high teens. I had my Amphipod fuel belt with three 8oz water bottles. I started drinking from one of them and when it was about 3/4 empty, the water started to freeze. So I decided to switch to another bottle, however, the water at the top of that bottle (and the other one) had also frozen! So the only way to get water was to unscrew the top and drink. I was thinking that Gatorade may work better because of the extra sodium in it. Has anyone tried this and can vouch for how low the temperature needs to be before it freezes? Any other ideas? (Use an electrolyte like NUUN? Just add salt?)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did you have the bottles under your jacket? That should prevent freezing.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Rum won't freeze.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Rum won't freeze.
          Heh, I was thinking that, too... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

I had a similiar situation yesterday. I fill my bottles up about 1/4 full then freeze. When I'm ready to run I fill it up with regular water and go. Usually the ice chunk thaws out by the end of my run and I've got really cold water the whole way. Well yesterday, the ice chunks in my water bottle and my mini Gatorade bottle never melted and the fresh stuff that was added to it also started freezing. In addition, my water bottle started leaking onto the holster at some point which then caused the holster to freeze into a big ice block - on my back! So, judging from my exploits yesterday, Gatorade probably isn't going to vary so much from your experience with water.
              I like to use my camelbak in the winter because the water bladder sits right on my back so it doesn't freeze. I also wear it under my coat for extra insurance and to keep the tube from freezing.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
              obsessor

I went out for a 12 mile run on Saturday morning with the temps in the high teens. .... Any other ideas? (Use an electrolyte like NUUN? Just add salt?)
                high teens + 12 miles + need for water = ???
                  One thing I like about winter running is the fact that its not really necessary to bring water or anything out on any run. Even long runs. I've done 20 without anything. With temps even below 40 (or even 50) you probably wont' sweat enough to need water. Plus who wants to drink cold water when its in the teens anyway. Just going to cool down your core anyway.... The summer, when temps are in the 60s,70s,80s with dewpoints in the 60s/70s is different however. On a 20 miles in the winter without any water I might loose 4 lbs which isn't that much.

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, I don't take water even in the summer, and I've been out for 2 and a half hours. I just make sure I hydrate before and after. I really wouldn't worry about this.

Not at it at all. 

Use larger bottles. (This is one reason I don't use amphipod.) Use a sports drink - freeze at lower temperatures. Keep bottles on belt under jacket. An 8-oz bottle could probably fit in a chest pocket also. Start with hot water (not boiling), but be sure to adjust caps as they cool so they don't leak. Use insulated carrying case. Drink frequently. In colder temperatures, no more than about 10 min apart. Sometimes you can blow a valve open again if it just started to freeze. If you have to unscrew the caps to drink, be sure to dry the threads before screwing the top back on so the top doesn't freeze on your bottle. Carry bottles upside down after being sure that caps are secure. Ice floats, so this will keep ice out of nozzle, hopefully. Compare nozzles on different water bottles. I've found some are simpler than others as well as wider so a less prone to freezeup. I use an insulated bladder in a pack and keep the hose under my shell or insulating layer as much as possible. Keep the tube free of liquid when not in use - either by blowing liquid back or by holding the tube vertically, pinching the mouthpiece and letting gravity drain the fluid back into bladder. If you do the latter, be sure that you can raise the tube completely vertically. Many newer packs have those shoulder sleeves where you may not be able to raise the tube completely vertically. There's some newer packs that may allow chemical handwarmers in their sleeves, but not sure how well they work. I've heard of some of the earlier versions freezing up. I know one person has cut a hole in bottom of her pack so the tube comes out the bottom, and she can run it under her jacket for the entire way, thus minimizing freezeup potential. In dry, cold weather, like 10F and below, the air may contain very little moisture. You lose some moisture just through respiration. You may also be working hard in snow. I've found my minimum fluid requirements are probably in the 30s to 40s (potentially summer temperatures where I am), but increase again close to 0F. And if I'm snowshoe running in bright sun, I'm usually sweating up a storm. I've done 4+ hour long runs near 0F, but not usually that cold. Dehydration in winter can contribute to frostbite and hypothermia, so be sure to stay hydrated. Yes, I've been through the frozen water bottle stage 6 yr ago, and poked around and asked questions of the ultra runners that do winter ultras. They're out there for over 24 hr so figured there had to be a way. And I'm sure there's some more tricks also.
                      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        Salt would seem like the best solution. Consider using a sports drink.
                          Running in Toronto last winter I found that Gatorade would not freeze nearly as quickly as water. It never actually froze solid on me but there were a few longer, colder runs where it turned to slush.
                          And who am I anyway?
                          Just another fat jogger, evidently.

On On

Use larger bottles. (This is one reason I don't use amphipod.) Start with hot water (not boiling), but be sure to adjust caps as they cool so they don't leak.
                            I have found this works best also. Depending how cold it is depends how hot the water needs to be at the beginning of the run.