Any trail runs close to Jersey City / Hoboken?- relatively flat preferably, but good with any options (Read 49 times)

mk885

Hi

Any trail runs close to Jersey City / Hoboken?- relatively flat preferably, but good with any options

Thanks in advance

kaleidoscopeEyes

TRAIL runs, specifically?

I guess the closest would be in the Lincoln Park complex.  Obviously, you can do laps around the park (or the track)...and this is not a trail run...but if you cross the pedestrian bridge, over 1/9, there will be a small network of trails on that side (more than what you see on Google maps right now).

If you are in JC/Hoboken, you are probably already aware of Liberty State Park, but I'll throw it out here anyway.  You're probably already aware of the jogging paths going towards/past Ellis Island Bridge, the ferry, and Liberty Science Center.  You can also take the Hudson River Waterfront Walk going the opposite direction, towards the golf course.  Near the beach-y area, outside the golf course, there is a small network of trails.

Also, you can run right into that Port Liberte townhouse complex, and onto Half Moon Isle.  Not really a trail experience, but still a different, interesting visual experience.

Farther west, towards the burbs, there is South Mountain Reservation in West Orange.  Not completely flat, though.

Not too far from SMR is the loop around the Lake Verona in Verona Park.  This is not a true trail run either, but you can run from Verona Park, a relatively short distance along some suburban streets, out to the West Essex Trail (trail entrance is on Fairview Ave., right near the high school).

If you are up for a slightly longer road strip, you can drive out to the Patriot's Path in Morristown.  From Whitehead Rd all the way out to Speedwell Lake is pretty flat.  There is an additional section of Patriot's Path trail that goes along Lake Pocahontas, out to MLK Blvd.  This is also flat.

I run in both Liberty State Park and Verona Park all the time, great places to run.  The Essex County Running Club runs the West Essex Trail, next run is May 2nd, thinking of joining them myself  http://www.essexrunning.org/ai1ec_event/west-essex-trail-run/?instance_id=12146464

On On

Hey, these types of questions I always find difficult to answer.

1) What is your definition of close to JC?  Do you have to be able to reach the trail from the Light Rail, or is a 60 min drive in the car still close?

2) What is your definition of flat?  Do you want it flat like a track or flat compared to the Rocky Mountains?

3) Though not really discussed, what is your definition of trail?  Is a paved bike trail what you are looking for?  The cement pavers out at Liberty State Park? Or do you mean dirt trails with roots and rocks and possibly getting your shoes muddy?

I am going to assume you have access to a car, don't mind driving 30 mins or getting your shoes muddy and mild elevation changes are still considered relatively flat.

South Mountain Reservation, Watchung Reservation and the National Wildlife Swamp all have trails you can run.  Two more parks just a little farther away are Jockey Hollow and Lewis Morris.

Doing a small amount of google searching will get you a trail map for each park.  I could recommend a loop at all of them for anywhere from 3 miles to 30 miles if you are interested.  I know each park pretty well and direct a race at 3 of them.

If you want rail trails there are several good ones in NJ too.  There is the East Coast Greenway that stretches along the entire East Coast and goes right through NJ.  Again, a simple google search will get you to their website and the NJ maps.

Feel free to ask about any particular park or exact distance loop.  I could probably come up with an exact route with more info.

Rick

On On