Rocken's WTHTFU South Mountain 10 mile report (or how to really make a cold/sinud/flu worse. (Read 775 times)

I guess it’s better to be sick today than it would be 2 weeks from today *sigh* however I was really looking forward to kicking the “hills” butt. Decided to skip the Tylenol pm last night in hopes that the meds wouldn’t screw with me during the race. Had absolutely no appetite this morning so no breakfast before the race. Not much I could do about that other than make sure to grab a gel cause I knew there would be a chance I’d be walking on some of “the hill” and would need it. Despite feeling ill himself, Ken as well as the kids came to watch me race. It’s an out and back so there were several places that I got to see their smiling faces and hear them cheering me on. THAT is probably one of the best things about this race! We got to the park around 8:15 which left 45 minutes or so before the start of the race. Didn’t take long to pick up race packet and off to the porta pots we headed. Figured better to get inline now before the lines were too long. About 8:45 I left my family to get in a nice warm up mile in. I wanted to test my lungs out to see how they were going to feel. I knew I still had the cold just wasn’t sure if was completely in my chest yet. If it wasn’t before it is now *sigh*. The start was late. Too bad Ron Horn wasn’t there to entertain us. Now the first mile is mostly flat then it’s rolling hills until you get to 2.5 miles where it goes up hill from there until around 4.5 miles then rolling hills until close to mile 5.75 then back down “the hill” until around mile 7.75 back to rolling hills until about the last mile. Anyways I’m feeling pretty good (considering) until we get to “the hill” I had absolutely no energy or will to push up the hill. I did A LOT of walking which I wasn’t too happy with however I knew starting out that this was more likely going to be what it was like. I had my gel at the one water stop on the course. Anyway slogged up the hill. Saw the two lead mean on their way down. They were way ahead of anyone else. Turns out they finished like 4-5 minutes before the third place guy. Finally saw the first female. After I saw her I started counting the females until around 10 then I stopped. Despite all the walking I did on “the hill” not one single woman passed me. Hit the turn around and started despite feeling like crap started to push the gas pedal. Not one single person passed me on the way back and I managed to pass many. Unlike the first and last time I ran this race I had NOTHING left when it came to the finish line. There was a lady probably 30 feet ahead of me and I remember thinking who cares if she finishes before I do. The fact that I had actually caught up to her was good enough for me. I crossed the finish line 13 seconds slower than the first/last time I did it. HOWEVER I can actually say I gave it everything I had today! Sucks that I’m sick, but if I can do it when I’m sick then there is no exuse for me to not to be able to give my all when it comes to races that are HM and shorter (still trying to figure out the full mary). Aftermath: I had a coughing, wanna puke fest not long after I finished. Nothing in stomach to puke out. They didn’t have anything to drink until about 15 minutes after I finished. Didn’t stay for awards or raffle since I just wanted to go home. After taking Tylenol pm and sleeping for a couple hours my temp is down to 99.4 (normal is around 97.4 or so) Oh and of course I negative split the course. First half 47:57 Second Half 40:31 Splits 1- 8:28 2-8:36 3-9:41 4-12:05 5-9:07 6-8:36 7-7:39 8-8:01 9-8:46 10-7:29 I was DONE when I crossed that finish line! Accidently didn't get garmin started until probably a couple minutes into the race. End time may be off, just going by what dh said. South Mountain 10 miler

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yikes!!!!!!! Quaking at that hill!!!! WTG, Pam - you totally rocked that finish. Now get some rest, will ya? No doubt that you will be blowing away all your old PR'S next year Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Pam-- great job on the race, even with the sickness and extra walk breaks. One Heck of a HTFU.

Chris
        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

What a course! Sorry to hear that you were still sick for the race. Congratulations and double congrats on pushing on despite not feeling well!

Michelle

Ojo

That's quite a hill! Congrats on finishing and hope you are feeling better soon!

Sara

MM #2929

HOWEVER I can actually say I gave it everything I had today!
              I think this says it all! Way to HTFU and way to race despite being sick! I hope you feel better soon!
                Way to Go! Fantastic race report and finish. Another WTHTFU for the books!

Wow! What a hill! Thanks for the race report...you finished it...sick and all. Impressive!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Thanks Cheryl, Chris, Michelle, Sara, Jen, Dari, and Gayle!!! I am feeling sooooooooo much better today. Legs don't even feel like they ran yesterday let alone raced! I HATE that!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam! Good job on pushing through, but goodness lady!! I'm glad you came out ok on the other end! and glad you are feeling better now!

Double IPA Please!

WooHoo!! Look at you! I was too skeered to run that!! Blush Maybe next year! Well, not scared scared, but did not want to chance anything before my half on the 23rd. Nice weather though eh?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Pam! Good job on pushing through, but goodness lady!! I'm glad you came out ok on the other end! and glad you are feeling better now!
                          Thanks Shannon!

WooHoo!! Look at you! I was too skeered to run that!! Blush Maybe next year! Well, not scared scared, but did not want to chance anything before my half on the 23rd. Nice weather though eh?
                            I thought about you yesterday! It's a great race! You are going to ROCK your half! As far as the weather.... I could have done without the face wind, but other than that it was great Smile I was suprised to see how bundled people were , course having a fever could have had me over heating (wore skirt and short sleave top)

Prince of Fatness

Nice job rocken. Too bad about the cold. Sorry we didn't get to meet, but it turns out that I was smart for bailing. Hope you're feeling better.

Not at it at all. 

btb1490

Well that sounded like a lot of fun! Tongue You must've been really feeling like crap. Normally you crank out 10 milers in your sleep, so to run this and have it exhaust you like that really says a lot about how sick you were. But in true Pam fashion, you gutted it out. Smile No knee issues with the hill? Sounds like you are feeling better already. Take care of yourself.