Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Josh, LMFAO is a fun acronym for "laughing my f***ing ass off." Or did you mean the Del Taco reference? Because that I'd need explained too.

Ditto everything you said. I'm learning big things from this group about what proper marathon execution looks like. Mad inspiring. Fishy, you aimed high and still landed among the stars, as they say. I imagine it was hard starting further from the back. RP, terrifically consistent splits. Congrats to both of you!!

Long story short, but Del Taco is a bit of a jab at me. CIM 2021 I got sick mid-race and threw up in the bushes in the parking lot of this Del Taco.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Fishyone

Killer run RP!! It was awesome meeting up for a couple minutes before you were off to slay the dragon....To quote another of my favorite movies today "you made Boston your BITCH!"

Thanks all who tracked and followed us out there today.  Weather was as close to perfect as you can get in Boston.  As you can probably tell by my splits I had a very frustrating first few miles then tried to make up for them and paid a small price.  I'll admit that when sub-3 was out of reach I took my foot off the gas a bit but all in all I'm happy with the result.  3:09 in Philly to a 3:03Tight lippedx in Boston means I still have work to do.  To Quote Steve "I'm not done with these bastards yet" 

It was a nice feeling knowing that my imaginary runner friends were in my corner.

I'll work on a race report after I have time to eat some pizza

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

I'll work on a race report after I have time to eat some pizza

All the pizza. You get to eat all the pizza!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Josh, LMFAO is a fun acronym for "laughing my f***ing ass off." Or did you mean the Del Taco reference? Because that I'd need explained too.

Thanks for explaining. I could place the Del Taco reference with the Commander, but LMFAO left me puzzled ('Leave me effing alone O?')

ETA: Keen - thanks for tracking. It made my late afternoon a lot more interesting!

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Running Problem

Problem Child

Josh laughing my fucking ass off. It was a dig on keen.

CommanderKeen you like apples? How you like DEM apples?

dave I might just pop in a comment if someone says Boston isn’t a PR course, and CIM is easier because of weather. 

fishy glad I got the photo real quick before heading out.

I made sure to cross BOTH timing mats.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Excellent running RP and Fishy!!! Excited to see the race reports so I know what it was like on your end. Thanks for the tracking Commander. I was following along but was too busy to give commentary. Fishy that's a lot of time you shaved off there. There's always more work to do. Until you're dead.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Look at the finishing kick I had. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/RbRB-jChV5s?feature=share

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

RP - awesome race.  huge congrats!!!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - You are the king!!  Absolutely brilliant performance.  Can't wait to hear how it all played out.

Fishy - Equally impressive from you.  You only started talking sub 3 in recent weeks right?  It sounds like external factors impacted you but that is still a great time and big chunk of improvement.

me - I'm actually feeling not too bad.  Not as down as I was after Melbourne, which is weird because this time I did so many things to avoid a repeat and had a lot in my favour.  Maybe I'm just not as shocked as I was then.  It also helps not being in as much pain, and still being able to walk stairs and get in and out of chairs without pain.

My coach called me last night which was great.  He also had spoken to his coach about me, a guy who works at High Performance Sport NZ and they both had similar thoughts:

-  My training is fine.  If they thought I hadn't done the work they'd have no issue telling me

-  The virus might still have been in my system.  I'm still coughing up gunk

-  Race day anxiety, brain issues

-  Super shoes

This last point is one I'm probably most leaning towards.  I've used super shoes in a few training runs, two halfs, one 10km and 2 marathons.  The halfs were fine, I ran 1:29 and 1:27, no hint of cramp.  Same with the 10km.  Both marathons went to pieces soon after halfway.  He said the research shows you really only get the benefit if running 16km/h or faster and he doesn't necessarily recommend using them in the full marathon.  A few of his athletes in Christchurch used "training" shoes for the marathon.  We're both thinking perhaps I look at doing the Selwyn Half in 7 weeks using one of 2 approaches:

-  Use the same shoes and see if I get similar issues.  I'll be going faster than marathon pace, although maybe it's at that pace that there is an issue?

-  Use training shoes for half and longer from now on.  He recommends Saucony Tempus, which has similar foam to the super shoes but no carbon plate.

I'll decide next week what to do.  It's probably a combination of those issues but I'm leaning heavily towards the shoes.  That's the common factor.  I'll do a race report in the coming days.  I really appreciate all the comments.  I'm not going to accept defeat, I want to use Keen as inspiration and solve the puzzle.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Whoa h whoa whoa…before I start doing race reports and spilling the beans JMac needs to tell everyone WTF is going on with his running, or lack there of, instead of being overshadowed by my ‘typical marathon performance’ where I train hard then get afraid of doing amazing things but somehow find a way to do amazing things.

Steve personally, I’d do BOTH runs.  Do a 16 or 18 miler AT race pace. Ideally on a similar path/course as race day. The second workout would be the exact same workout in trainers. I’d try to keep the training leading up to both runs the same.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I train hard then get afraid of doing amazing things but somehow find a way to do amazing things.

But....that's the mythos of the marathon.   Exactly that.  You threw down a race for the ages, and we all want to read your stream of conciousness/zen accounting.

Just massive applause for both you and Fishy.  You guys make it look simple.  Which it both is and isn't.

[BTW, I want to hear from JMac also.  But I respect and also completely understand his wish to let the Boston Marathon hoopla pass first.]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This last point is one I'm probably most leaning towards.  I've used super shoes in a few training runs, two halfs, one 10km and 2 marathons.  The halfs were fine, I ran 1:29 and 1:27, no hint of cramp.  Same with the 10km.  Both marathons went to pieces soon after halfway.  He said the research shows you really only get the benefit if running 16km/h or faster and he doesn't necessarily recommend using them in the full marathon.  A few of his athletes in Christchurch used "training" shoes for the marathon.  We're both thinking perhaps I look at doing the Selwyn Half in 7 weeks using one of 2 approaches:

-  Use the same shoes and see if I get similar issues.  I'll be going faster than marathon pace, although maybe it's at that pace that there is an issue?

-  Use training shoes for half and longer from now on.  He recommends Saucony Tempus, which has similar foam to the super shoes but no carbon plate.

I'll decide next week what to do.  It's probably a combination of those issues but I'm leaning heavily towards the shoes.  That's the common factor. 

Have you ever done a long run either entirely in your race shoes or with the second half in your race shoes?

That's always been my test.  I'd run a progressive 21 miles (last 7 at marathon effort) and I'd either wear my race shoes the whole time or swap into them after mile 10-11.  I've found that if the shoes are comfortable during the second half of a progressive 21 miler, they'll be fine on race day.  And when they haven't felt quite right at the end of a 21-miler, they've felt that way or worse in the last miles of a marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Have you ever done a long run either entirely in your race shoes or with the second half in your race shoes?

That's always been my test.  I'd run a progressive 21 miles (last 7 at marathon effort) and I'd either wear my race shoes the whole time or swap into them after mile 10-11.  I've found that if the shoes are comfortable during the second half of a progressive 21 miler, they'll be fine on race day.  And when they haven't felt quite right at the end of a 21-miler, they've felt that way or worse in the last miles of a marathon.

No I've only done my Wednesday workout in them to test them out.  So only 16-20km with 10-12km at marathon effort.  I was actually thinking the shoes could be an issue before my coach said it.  I've loved them in the shorter races though.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

I'd also like to add that RP graciously waited until I showed up for a picture.  Hopefully he will post the pic and send it to me because I didn't get one and I'm dying to prove to my wife that all of you actually exist in real life and aren't BOTs 

Thanks Mark for the permission, I think I did eat ALL of the pizza!!  the goodie bag was pretty lame so I was famished.

I've run 3 Boston's that I consider "good" races. 2:58, 3:08 and 3:03 and this was the most difficult mentally of all of them.  I was never in a zone and never felt like I "cruised" at any point in the race.

Steve- I like the idea of experimenting with the shoes.  I ran quite a few marathons in "normal" shoes and I think the real benefit to the supershoes for me is recovery and not performance.  I've switched to the saucony endorphin 2s for all of my training now that the price has dropped and I think it does help with day to day recovery too.

I can't believe we have a Rovatti sighting.  Love to see you post more often.  Apparently all it takes is for RP to run a PR so we'll be seeing a lot more of you in the future

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hems just here for the race report. 

rovatti thanks man. It wasn’t easy and I’m sure it’s going to be even more awesome to tell people for a while. Even when my buddy says he beat me by a minute or more today in the same group.

VDOT 53.37