Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Self-deprecating humor will always bring me back

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It wouldn't surprise me if Boston is a similar situation, unless they have a massive problem with unregistered runners.

It seems like it's easy enough to print fake bibs, so it wouldn't surprise me if Boston did have a lot of unregistered runners.  Bandits have always been a big problem there.  One year I was quite surprised to look over my shoulder at the runner there only to discover his bib was the same number as mine.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

OK, I did some hunting, Ilana's "pace advice" threads were captured in a user group here.

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MarathonRaceTraining/forum

And according to Athlinks, she's still running - 3 races last year!

Dave

DavePNW

Interestingly Cal used a half marathon Pfitz plan when he ran his marathon PR! 

One time I did an 8 week buildup to a half, then shifted to marathon focus for a race 6 weeks later. Training for the two distances is pretty similar.

Incidentally when I did that it was Pfitz too. Honestly I can't remember which marathon that was, so I can't say how I did in either race.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Folks that can’t think for themselves and need a coach/canned training plan then I’d say go with Pfitz. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Wcrunner that's hilarious, what are the odds !

Dave I found Ilana on strava and have requested a follow. She probably won't remember who the hell I am 

Mikkey I still have the pfitz book gathering dust. It served me well for both marathons.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Maybe they factor in a certain number to DNF and expectations were exceeded?  But still, they take the entry fee from everyone.

I'm pretty sure they heard Marathon Scott was in the race and assumed he would instigate at least 93 fights during the route. Just ask about whether or not California has enough drinking water and you're sure to get a roundhouse kick Chuck Norris style.

https://gifdb.com/images/file/chuck-norris-doing-round-kick-to-opponent-91cci2crzrqdxznm.gif

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wcrunner that's hilarious, what are the odds !

Dave I found Ilana on strava and have requested a follow. She probably won't remember who the hell I am 

Mikkey I still have the pfitz book gathering dust. It served me well for both marathons.

The Pfitz “Advanced Marathoning” was the second running book I bought and still have it!  The first one I bought was by Hal Higdon and I chucked it in the bin before I even got half way through it. Brad Hudson’s “Run Faster from 5k to marathon - How to be your own best coach” book had the biggest impact for me and made the most sense!

I’ve never quite got why any hobby joggers with a few years of running experience would actually pay money to have a coach and tell them what workouts to run. I’ve taken advice from a few people over the years…but money has never exchanged hands!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just fitted a new strap to my Garmin 235. Pretty cool?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The Pfitz “Advanced Marathoning” was the second running book I bought and still have it!  The first one I bought was by Hal Higdon and I chucked it in the bin before I even got half way through it. Brad Hudson’s “Run Faster from 5k to marathon - How to be your own best coach” book had the biggest impact for me and made the most sense!

I’ve never quite got why any hobby joggers with a few years of running experience would actually pay money to have a coach and tell them what workouts to run. I’ve taken advice from a few people over the years…but money has never exchanged hands!

I concur on your opinion on those books, but a coach does much more than simply prescribe a series of workouts.  I've been fortunate to only have to pay one of the coaches I've had, but my accomplishments, as modest as they are, would be far less without having had the advice and instruction I've received from those coaches.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Don't worry Mikkey, we still like you despite you saying that! 🎣

Keen - You will obviously PR on the 5k. No idea about the 50 miler.

Dave - That Slate Magazine calculator seems to be on point.
                        With my half PR of 1h22 and 60 miles per week, it says I'd run around 3h02.
                        If I somehow up that to 65 miles per week, then it's sub 3. And at 80 mpw it could be a 2:58.

LongBoat - great news, and you are a permanent resident here.

George - That's hilarious that they printed the same bib as you, though I suppose it would be tricky if the race marshalls tried to figure out who's who.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Now that I’m back running again I feel that this thread needs some of the over achievers who used to post here!

This place is top heavy with mediocre Waltons and 70%ers.

Let’s start with JTReeves and Cinnamongirl….if you’re lurking then start posting again as I miss you!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This place is top heavy with mediocre Waltons and 70%ers.

You're damn right! We don't need those...oh dammit mine is only 78%.

I just made an appointment with a foot/ankle sports doctor. She does both PRP and Shockwave, so I'm going to inquire about that to see if it can help this chronic issue. PT is clearly not the only answer here although it does feel better, but it's been 5 weeks of rest and I healed from a stress reaction more quickly.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - you do save those reports before posting, right?  That would be a hell of a time to lose your post.

Do you mean like when RWOL decided to end their forums without notification and I couldn't pull anything from 205 or 16 when I hung out in the 3:20 or bust thread?

I started putting them on Strava BECAUSE it's the social media equivalent for runners, and HOPE to have them saved. I've not been creative enough to start a website, or just carry a camera to describe my feelings in the moment...yet.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Do you mean like when RWOL decided to end their forums without notification and I couldn't pull anything from 205 or 16 when I hung out in the 3:20 or bust thread?

No, she meant saving on a Text Editor while typing. Then copy it and paste on the text box here once you're done. Otherwise if RunningAhead fails just as you're posting your message, you're gonna lose everything.

Same thing for Strava really, or absolutely any long text you type online.

Mikkey - You should be happy we let a 60%er like yourself stay around 🎣

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly