Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Maybe walking his dog with a CIM jacket on?

I would buy a CIM jacket if I see one! We'll see if I make it: just went to the foot/ankle doctor yesterday and she's a bit concerned it may be another stress injury on my ankle given where the tenderness is showing up for my supposed PTT. I normally would doubt it, but given I had one in my femur just 2 years ago, it wouldn't shock me again in the same leg (I basically need a new right leg at this point). If it's a stress injury, then clearly CIM isn't happening.

If not, I'm going to start Shockwave with her while continuing to see PT.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

Jacket quality is not so good. Another RA user described it most accurately as fitting like a paper bag with sleeves. But it serves the main jacket functions of covering your arms and torso.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

CIM sells jackets at the expo, AND the finish line. I really wish I could find the online sales.

JMac what do you think about this? Only to be worn on race day, or "should only be available after FINISHING ## of marathons."

EDIT:  You actually qualify for Sacramento Elite Open.

» Apply (runsra.org)

Levels MEN’S SRA ELITE STANDARDS
        Race Distances 800m 1500m Mile Steeple 5k 10k 21.1k 42.2k
        USA Outdoor Times (National) 0:01:48 0:03:39 0:03:57 0:08:40 0:13:32 0:28:30 1:05:00 2:18:00
        Regional 0:01:51 0:03:45 0:04:05 0:08:55 0:14:00 0:29:30 1:07:00 2:22:00
        Local 0:01:57 0:04:00 0:04:20 0:09:35 0:15:00 0:31:30 1:12:00 2:32:00
                  5k 10k 21k 42.2k
        SRA Elite Open         0:16:30 0:34:30 1:18:00 2:48:00

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Competitive Jerks - I'm in support of renaming the thread Wannabe & competitive jerks 😂

That said it seems the word competitive can have multiple meanings. According to Dr Google:

1 - relating to or characterized by competition. (A competitive sport)

2 - having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others (she had a competitive streak)

3 - as good as or better than others of a comparable nature (a car industry competitive with any in the world)

I fall in the 2nd meaning, whereas people like Cinnamon, Jmac and Mark fall in the 3rd.

This is the part I have a problem with. Typically I want to compete against people who are better than me while thinking I'm helping those who are not. I'm the guy in fourth place who trains hard, PRs, doesn't get any camera time and goes home proud on the outside thinking "there is always someone better than you" on the inside.

Jerk - a contemptibly obnoxious person

asshole -  a stupid, annoying or detestable person.

I'm more of an asshole thank a jerk. I believe the unwritten part is your intentions. If you're obnoxious because you're competitive you're a jerk. If you're putting effort into being a jerk you're an asshole.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DW - Thanks for that Grubb calculator, it seems I just need to keep running the same 5k road time for the next 4 years to be an 80%er. That will show Mikkey who's boss, I'm sure.

And why not as you are like a fine wine that improves with age….and just think what cheater shoes will be like in 4 years time!

I checked the Grubb calculator out and my 5k is actually 2% higher than my marathon PR (run 2 weeks apart) which I find really funny as the 5k was just a low-key Parkrun as a last speedy workout and my only thought was that I was in good shape. The marathon was a far bigger deal as I literally put in years of consistent training to hit that time!  I think for a lot of naturally talented runners they can blag a decent 5/10k time without really putting in much training.

Milkman - I might have to buy a CIM jacket for when I take Tyson out for walkies…people will surely ask if I’m as fast as him.   I hope the shockwave helps, the first time a had a session on my Achilles a few years ago I noticed a big improvement, but further sessions not so much, but you don’t have a heel spur so fingers crossed. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

DK - thanks!

Honestly I'm still amazed I managed to swing a solo trip to Wanaka with a 34 week pregnant wife back at home and everything else going on but I've been doing practically everything around the house the last 2 weeks so I think I accumulated enough brownie points.

I don't really have massive expectations for this after last year's disaster. I doubt I'll hit anywhere close to the 1:09 I managed in 2021 which was one of those days where absolutely everything fell into place. I'd like to go better than last year, but mostly I just want to go and race well. The weather doesn't look perfect, a little warmer than I'd like, and possibly a slight head wind. Wanaka is still my favourite place on the planet and just arriving here was good for the soul. Last year I think I probably psyched myself out a bit whereas this year I feel like I just wanna go out and enjoy it. I doubt I'll be able to travel a lot for races for the next little while so gotta make the most of it.

I did end up bringing the VF3's with me, so we'll see how they go too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark ah the international brownie point system  we understand.

I see Zuckerberg ran a 19.38 5k. Seemed to cause quite a stir on letsrun 

Good luck.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So the 5k from a week ago has really irritated my Piriformis on my left side again. After the Half in March, I was just a little tight but had no pain. It is really the fast running like sprints or going at max effort for just a few miles which irritates it. I am going to spend the month of May just running at easy to moderate pace with the only speedwork being some miles at tempo pace during a longer run.

The question I have is should I be focusing on strength work in my hips in conjunction with lots of stretching when I am in pain or should I only do stretching until the pain is gone and then start building strength? I know I need both to be able to get back to running at 5k pace or faster again but if that speedwork irritates the muscle, wouldn't strength work do the same?

I had piriformis and the rolling on a ball never helped and neither did rolling my foot on a ball help with PF. (but try all options as everyone is different)  I’ve been having Myofascial release massage sessions this year which I think has helped me overall with niggles and I’m generally a bit cynical about….everything. 

I think stretching before every workout is key (especially for older runners who think that they are still 40yo). I enjoy it now because I know it helps. 10min stretching minimum for short easy runs and 15/20min for longer/faster runs.

Let’s pray that the Southern Lakes course has been certified. 🙏

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mark ah the international brownie point system  we understand.

I see Zuckerberg ran a 19.38 5k. Seemed to cause quite a stir on letsrun 

Good luck.

There's a few of those stories doing the rounds at the moment - another one is that Diplo ran the NYC marathon on LSD.

Keen - all the best for your race.  Ultra's seem like a very different style of running.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck Mark.  I looked at the weather and thought it looked great..but it is a bit warm for May.  After training in humidity it should feel really nice though, if the wind stays down.  It's good when people can work out a way to still do what they love.  Awesome you have a wife that encourages that!  I imagine you'll be going above and beyond regardless of needing any brownie points.

JMac - I hope it's not the worst outcome.  Definitely crossing my fingers for you.

Boston jacket - If I did Boston and was back in NZ the next day, 100% I would wear it for the one person I'd see that day that knew Boston had just happened.  I wore my medal in Melbourne for the rest of the day, at the urging of others.  In the end I embraced it, it was great despite the bad result.  Unfortunately I didn't get the chance in my last race...

Keen - Good luck in the 5km.  Hopefully it's short enough to not require any sickness stops in a drive thru

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

Steve Would it even be possible to leave Boston on a Monday and land in AUS on a Tuesday? I'd expect to land there on Wednesday, but I've never been.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve Would it even be possible to leave Boston on a Monday and land in AUS on a Tuesday? I'd expect to land there on Wednesday, but I've never been.

In theory yes, in practice no given the way airline schedules tend to run from the west coast of the US to Australia / NZ.

You've got 6.5 hours from Boston to the West Coast, plus best case a 1 hour layover (normally more), plus another 12.5 hours to Brisbane or Sydney.  So that's 20 hours of travel time, plus you fly 14 hours into the future due to time zone changes.  So 34 hours total time change, meaning yes it is possible in theory.

The problem is that the airlines tend to run the Pacific flights to Australia / NZ as overnighters given how long they are, arriving early morning (6-7am) and the frequency of flights out of Boston to the west coast isn't great, so you end up with long stopovers on the West Coast.  By the time you factor all that in, it's pretty hard to schedule something arriving in the early morning in Australia 2 days after you left Boston.

We were snowboarding / skiing in BC a few years ago and flew back overnight from Vancouver to Auckland, ended up landing 2 days ahead as per normal but meant we totally skipped my mother in laws birthday which was kind of funny.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

the one person I'd see that day that knew Boston had just happened. 

Semi-relevant story: my flight home from Boston to Seattle connected through Minneapolis. Tons of runners on the first leg, not so many on the second. Airline staff on the second leg was clueless; flight attendant saw a few jackets and said “looks like there was a meeting of the Boston Athletic Association.” I told her it was the Boston Marathon. She said “they do that the same weekend as the Masters??”

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Good luck Mark.  I looked at the weather and thought it looked great..but it is a bit warm for May.  After training in humidity it should feel really nice though, if the wind stays down.  It's good when people can work out a way to still do what they love.  Awesome you have a wife that encourages that!  I imagine you'll be going above and beyond regardless of needing any brownie points.

Heh I'm probably being picky.  The weather in 2021 was perfect, like 4-5C at the start with clear skies and sun and a light southerly, so everything else gets judged against that high benchmark.  You're right that given the crazy humidity in Auckland it will probably feel better than the forecast says though lol.

Realistically running will take a backseat for a little while after this race once the baby arrives. I'll have to figure out what the new normal will be with two kids but my wife knows that I do my best to manage training in a way that minimises the impact on the family (i.e. first thing in the morning and normally before anyone else is awake), and that I'm a complete nuisance if I don't get out for exercise.  She has been a great supporter from the start and gets it as she was a rep field hockey player back in the day.  Having a change of scene with the Xterra trail series over winter will help and then it will be fun to do the Auckland Half Marathon Series for the first time in a few years with my daughter also doing the 2k kids dash series.

I don't agree with the theory some have advanced that it's not "healthy" for any of us to run at the sort of volumes we do.  I think that formula is different for each of us and includes both a physical and mental aspect.  My body will tell me that 100km every week is not sustainable and I wouldn't want to run that much every week anyways, but I also know that 5-6 runs of 45 mins to an hour is the thing that'll keep me in a good headspace and physically that's a very sustainable level for me overall.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Let’s pray that the Southern Lakes course has been certified. 🙏

I'll set the over/under at 13.07 miles.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)