Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Is running 90+km a week not hard enough for you??  You need to add the risk of a mugging too, haha.

Mick - Nice job on the PR even if it wasn't exactly what you hoped for.

darkwave - Medium effort for a NYC qualifier, love it.  Meanwhile I have to go to Melbourne to find a fast certified race and go BOTT.  Yep, my training plan looks great and I'm actually amazed how fresh I feel after the weekend.  This Saturday is a "Kenyan style" long run that will be a real test.

Mental Skills coach

So I went and saw a mental skills coach at the Sports Clinic at the recommendation of Caden Shields (my physio), and possibly everyone here who said anxiety is probably my main issue.  There was nothing earth shattering but a few things I can focus on.  Interestingly he said that our conversation was along the same lines of conversations he's had with All Blacks or Black Caps or elite track/road athletes.  One thing he drilled me on, and is always talked about on Running Rogue, is what is my "Why?"  Why do I want to nail a marathon?  It's hard to answer when maybe it shouldn't be.  I had a few answers like "to prove I can", "to prove I'm tough enough" to which he responded "you've already proved that."  I eventually basically said I don't consider myself to have run a marathon because I haven't had the chance to work through the type of pain you get when you approach the wall, as opposed to cramp pain.  But I don't know if that's my why or not.  I know I can't give up after a DNF at 27km where it feels like I didn't even have a real crack at it.  At some point if I keep getting the same result maybe I'll know it's just not for me.  I love the training, and I'm quite goal oriented so maybe I just need a big goal to motivate me.  He asked if I even needed to race if I enjoy training so much.  I probably would still get most of the benefits of training, mentally and physically, but I know at this point it wouldn't fulfill me.

So we worked through that side, and then looked at some ways to approach the next one.

-  Breathing.  Use breathing more deliberately to relax (4 seconds in, 6 seconds out), when I first wake up, throughout the day and try it in easy runs (it's actually harder than you think to breathe out for 6 seconds!).

- the WIN mantra.  "What's important now?"  Especially when negative thoughts come in early in a race or pre-race or in training.  It's very basic but easy to forget and try and run the last 10km in your mind before you get there (I'm sure this is a very common one)

-  Consider how I want it to go, imagine the perfect day.  But also consider some of the hurdles that might appear and think about how to handle them.  When they happen don't think "this shouldn't be happening".  Change the language.  "I expected this, implement the plan".

-  Everyone has negative thoughts, at every level.  Let them in, then let them float out.  Don't berate yourself for having them.  Timebox them if they happen outside a race (i.e. if you must think about it, give yourself 5 minutes then move on).  During a race, just think "that's interesting, wonder where that came from..." then go back to WIN.  Check the technique, review nutrition plan etc.

-  Success gives you clues.  Look at when things went well and find the common factors.  For me, most of the best races happen when I'm more focused on the process than the outcome.  Again, an obvious one but easy to forget and I've definitely done that in each marathon attempt.  When I ran 1:27 in the half last year, I had some family issues with Mum's house sale the night before plus I had Covid 5 weeks earlier and missed a chunk of training.  I remember walking to the start with Mark and saying "I actually haven't even thought about this race.  I'll go out at goal pace and take it as it comes".  That's the most obvious approach to any race but in the marathon especially (and in the half when I kept fading back in 2020), in the early part of the race I just thought about what might happen later.

He suggested planning the day before the race.  Nerves are okay but sitting around focusing on nothing but the race isn't helpful.  I'll go to a movie or do something completely unrelated to running.  He also basically echoed my plan for Selwyn - just run it, see what happens.  I might cramp, I might not.  I'm doing all I can to avoid it so just run and have fun.

This is all pretty obvious but with the fear of the unknown, maybe I've slipped into bad habits.  It's good to remember where to focus.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - that would make sense about the VF3 as I'm a mid-foot striker.  It definitely felt like I had to work the toe-off more than I normally would.  I'll go back to the Next% for my next road race as a comparison, albeit that's probably a number of months away.  That being said the post-race fatigue has still been in the same places as the Next%, mainly quads and initially a little bit in the hamstrings.

Flavio - pls try not to get shot. I have jokes with a friend about a particular section of Brighams Creek Rd with a horrible narrow bridge being the "gauntlet of death".  However, that area you described looks more like an actual gauntlet of death.

Steve - thanks a lot for sharing the mental skills piece. I agree some of it seems obvious (a lot of good advice often does!!) but equally how often do we all actually put most or even some of those things in place?  And you're right... it's all gotta start with the "why" or else at some point the rest is going to fall over.  That's actually a good reminder that the "why" isn't always static over time and can change (mine has).

The "success gives you clues" line was helpful too. I've thought about that at times but maybe not often enough. I think the converse is that failures also give you clues (and sometimes very obvious ones)... like I can link a number of my disappointments down to overtraining or focusing too much on one race.  Some of my best performances came in very similar circumstances to what you described... turning up and running and not overthinking it.

I'm slowly working through Steve Magness' book "Do Hard Things" when time allows and that point about negative thoughts and "where did that come from" is something he raises too... trying to detach the initial amygdala response from the rational pre-frontal cortex thinking through it what it actually tells you. I'll try and share a few more ideas from that on here when I can.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mick nice job on the marathon, they are a crazy distance. Lots of drama can happen. 20c is hard-core!

DW your 6 mile tempos are less than our 10k tempos so it evens out 

I haven't been to a nightclub in....35 years.

Flavio excellent on the 90kms and through the ganglands. My sister used to live on the worst st in my city. She fitted in well though with 3 Rottweilers  big bikes, and substance abuse 

Steve I'm sure I need one of those mental coaches. I know my why is for good health but there is still a " I want to be a bit fast " ego thing which helps drive my running.

What's the plan with the Kenyan style longrun ?  They start slow right and build into it ?

Mark they did a 5k on the Rotorua airport runway yesterday.

90 people and 50 sub 20. It drew a fast crowd.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yep, I agree that the why changes over time.  For me, I felt like I'd achieved all I could with the half (hopefully not true) so I thought I'd try the full.  Now I've been punched in the face a couple of times, I don't just want to do it, I want to do it well.  I won't say "master" it because that seems like something a select few *cough* RP get to do.  I'll definitely be interested in hearing more as you work through the book.

piwi - Yep, it starts with 7km in Zones 2, 13km in Zone 3, then 10km in Zone 4 before a 4km cool down.  So 34km all up.  That's HR zones rather than pace so zone 4 may still be at marathon pace (ish) by that point.  Coach also strongly encourages me to stop the watch and let the HR settle before the cool down - my HR stays really high even if I slow right down.  If it's still in zone 4, the cool down isn't really a cool down.  He does it for up to 5 minutes and if it's good enough for him...

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Yep, I agree that the why changes over time.  For me, I felt like I'd achieved all I could with the half (hopefully not true) so I thought I'd try the full.  Now I've been punched in the face a couple of times, I don't just want to do it, I want to do it well.  I won't say "master" it because that seems like something a select few *cough* RP get to do.  I'll definitely be interested in hearing more as you work through the book.

I think that was a good question you were asked about why do you need to race. I get a lot of my enjoyment from running just from training. But, the real test of your ability to deal with adversity comes in races.  You can get partway there in a workout but something about races just raises the stakes.

Piwi - that airport 5k looked like a really fun event, ditto the road mile. It's cool they've taken the chance to introduce some new events to reinvigorate the event.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW/Steve/Mark - Thanks. I definitely would not try this if I were still living in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Keen - Excellent job at the 50 miler. I fully expect your race report to have at least 50 lines, one line per mile. Or 80 lines, in case you're feeling un-american 🦅🚫 😂

Steve - I'm happy to see you had a productive meeting with the mental skills coach.
              Earlier this year I've gone to a few group meditation sessions. One of the things the coach would talk about is that we don't try to avoid the negative thoughts, but we don't attach to them either, we just sit back and observe, chuckle and let them pass by. It's hard and meditation is basically training for that.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - Medium effort for a NYC qualifier, love it.  Meanwhile I have to go to Melbourne to find a fast certified race and go BOTT. 

Yeah, sorry about the humblebrag (which honestly was unintentional, though it doesn't come across that way).

Keen - Excellent job at the 50 miler. I fully expect your race report to have at least 50 lines, one line per mile. Or 80 lines, in case you're feeling un-american 🦅🚫 😂

Just saw.  Wow!!!  Congratulations! Have we lost CK to the 50 mile crowd for good?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Darkwave - on Brooklyn, I would say just wait for the weather forecast. It's almost never perfect conditions for a half (which for me is like upper 40s), but you do get solid B+/A- weather some years, and other years solid C. The other thing is - what corral are you in? if you're in anything except A or B, it's going to be a total CF until about mile 4 or so. I feel like the start also would trigger some of the things you've said in the past: very crowded, and very downhill with people trying to fly by you. So it may be tough to race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Pain is my friend

Keen- Awesome job on the 50 miler. Looked very flat. Great pace. For 50 miles in my book you could easily write 5 lines for a RR. 

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Fishyone

Nice racing Mark, Keen, Mick and DWave (sorry if I missed anyone!)

Back into taper mode here.  I think  I'm rested and ready for Sugarloaf.... only one way to find out! Weather looks as good as you're gonna get in Mid-May.  It may get up into the low 60s which is warm but hopefully not too hot.

Got in 2 workouts and will take it easy this week.

Weekly for period: From: 05/01/2023 To 05/07/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                      Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      05/02 GA 7.5 7.50 12.06 00:55:06 07:21 04:34 194
                      05/03 10 x 800 with 400 jogs 11.12 17.90 01:18:40 07:04 04:24 131
                      05/04 Recovery 7.50 12.07 00:59:11 07:53 04:54 148
                      05/06 GA 7.5 7.66 12.33 00:58:24 07:37 04:44 430
                      05/07 MLR 14 with 5K @ MP 14.14 22.75 01:49:08 07:43 04:48 436

Total distance: 47.92mi

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Holy crap Fishy that 10x800 was strong, very nice job.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah, sorry about the humblebrag (which honestly was unintentional, though it doesn't come across that way).

Ha, I didn't think for a second that it was a humblebrag, just thought the contrast was funny.

Keen - Great stuff!  Use RP's race report as a template for yours.  In which case, I can't wait to read about the final miles in 4-6 weeks.

Fishy - piwi is right, what a session with those 800s!

Flavio - Those panic attacks sound awful and much more severe than anything I've ever experienced.  I suspect I'm using extra energy with anxiety, but I only find out deep(ish) into a race.  I'm going to try really hard to follow all the advice he gave me.  Changing the way I think, or at least catching it is a big one.  Working on breathing can only have good benefits too.

2024 Races:

Fishyone

Piwi/Steve- Thanks, it confirmed my attempt to try Sub-3 again.  I know many on here (JMAC ) scoff at the yasso's but I have found them a fairly good indicator workout for me.  Before I start the battle royal I'm not suggesting they work for everyone but they are my "binkie" before goal marathons. I may not be in sub-3 shape but I'm sure as hell gonna give it a shot.  The course profile (point to point downhill) and reasonable weather says GO!

Marky_Mark_17

Fishy - 10 x 800 is a proper workout.  Well done.  IMO it really doesn't matter exactly what workout you run a couple weeks before a goal race.  The key thing is running some sort of decent workout, and nailing it, which you obviously did.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fishyone

Fishy - 10 x 800 is a proper workout.  Well done.  IMO it really doesn't matter exactly what workout you run a couple weeks before a goal race.  The key thing is running some sort of decent workout, and nailing it, which you obviously did.

Thanks Mark- I think it's weird how the 2nd or 3rd feel like "oh shit I'll never get through 10 of these" but by the last few it feels much more manageable.