Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

DavePNW

Steve - wow that sucks. A couple people made comments earlier; I went back and tried to find a post and came up empty, then thought to check Strava. IDK what to tell you, seems like you’ve tried everything. It might still be interesting to go out and run 42.2 just at your easy pace, either on your own or as part of a low-key race—is it purely the distance, or the distance at/below a certain pace level?

RP - nice job on the triple digits! I’ve only done it twice, both in 2020. I found that physically it was not too awful; I was at about a 60mpw base, so your body can handle a 1-week spike like that pretty well. Mentally, it was a grind. I decided against doubles—I just did a 13-15 mile run every day. Yes the laundry, but mostly I wasn’t crazy about doubling the amount of pre/post run time. Plus the worst part of every run is the first 1-2 miles; even more so for this kind of week. Why would you want to struggle through that twice a day? So instead every time I left the house I knew I was going to be out there for around 2 hours. That wore thin as the week went on.

dw - 25x400? No thanks!  During marathon training I do a 16x400 w/100 as well...that seems like enough. Sorry about your med glitch, but I guess it was a good learning. Seems like things are going pretty well for you, glad to see it.

Me: Pretty satisfied with my week, all things considered. Hit 50 for the first time in nearly 3 months. My back is still feeling pretty wonky throughout the day, especially first thing in the morning (which is of course when I run). But it’s been very slowly getting better and having less effect on my running. I decided to ease into a tiny bit of speed, to get the legs moving a little and knock off some of the rust. It was not great, but not too bad. There’s clearly work to do, but I think I’m ready to start ramping things up. The last couple weeks I had a medium-long run on Saturday, and it took me a couple days to recover. But today I felt great after yesterday’s 14, and unexpectedly ended up with my fastest avg pace of the week. I plan to be cautious, but I’ve got getting back to racing on the brain now...starting to make some very tentative plans.

Weekly for period: From: 05/29/2023 To 06/04/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
    in ft
    05/29 Morning Run 6.02 9.69 00:54:27 09:03 05:37 272
    05/30 Easy w/10 strides 7.07 11.38 01:04:26 09:07 05:40 335
    05/31 Morning Run 4.02 6.47 00:35:08 08:44 05:26 187
    06/01 10 x 1 min on / 1 min off 7.21 11.59 01:02:27 08:40 05:23 184
    06/02 Morning Run 5.03 8.10 00:47:36 09:28 05:53 230
    06/03 Morning Run 14.01 22.54 02:04:21 08:53 05:31 646
    06/04 Morning Run 6.81 10.95 00:58:16 08:33 05:19 276

Total distance: 50.17mi

Dave

CalBears

Marky - congrats! that's a big thing, obviously, wish your daughter all the heath!

Piwi - when I was reading your stuff about you going sub 19, I was kind of surprised - you were always fast, and I know you for many years - so, 18:36 in TT is no surprise for me - and, considering you are pretty consistent in your training, even with not crazy mileage, still is enough to go closer to 18 or even sub 18 - I am with Mikkey on that.

Longboat - like everybody else - glad to hear the operation went well. Eager to hear what you do to fight temporary immobility Smile Btw, I know you are probably over 70, but how old are you? And just curious, because I started to thing about those things, how do you feel aging by years - what you feel physically and emotionally, how bad (or not bad) was the decrease physically in 60-65 and 66-70? Your sharing would be appreciated. I am asking, because people saying about getting weaker and weaker with age, but I really do not feel that. Not now at least. I guess I am too young still at 57? Smile What mistakes I should avoid for healthier aging you think?

DW - nice week. And you are famous for really listening to your body - that's why your Garmin watch is pretty useless thing in your running Smile

RP - outstanding! You are much quieter than you used to be but somehow you are really at it - less talk and much results. For ideal results, I would stop "cheating" and remove those hikes and walks from the total log - ha-ha 

Steve - congrats on finishing the marathon. After reading your report, my thought is very similar to what I thought before - do more marathons and stop worrying about them. Make them more enjoyable if I can say so. If you are not enjoying them, be like Mark - don't run them - try to be happier in your training - you cannot worry too much with your hobby - that's the goal of having a hobby - be happier !

mmerkle - I was not talking about intentional gaining weight for just gaining weight Smile I am not underweight. The desire is to gain some lean muscle and you cannot gain muscle out of the fat in your body - to gain muscles you need a calorie surplus - from what I read and watched, that's how it works. Yes, you can get stronger without gaining weight, obviously. But to gain muscles you should create a surplus for muscle creation synthesis. And then when you have more muscles and less fat, your body energy spending even in still position is more then when you have more fat - because muscle requires more energy in still condition. But like you said before - you can complicate things as much as you can Smile

CK - yes, I am doing most of the things you mentioned - 12 oz grass fed steak is my favorite, but I try to switch between meat and fish on a regular basis.

flavio - great week! Re your comments... Yes, I would replace protein powder with real food, if I could - I just can't - if I am do not want to eat, I cannot eat real food, but I am kind of able to consume protein powder even when I do not want to eat. Canned beans I eat are ok with me and that's what counts Smile I guess I am not into exquisite foods - I am ok with beans when I know they have fiber and protein and they taste ok to me Smile Especially with freshly prepared steak Smile

Probiotics... Yes... Probiotics, prebiotics and postbiotics - it's all covered. I actually making my own custom yogurts where I set preparation time for 36 hours (to maximize bacteria amount) instead of yogurt industry standard of 4 hours. I am able to make yogurts with different bacteria (or bacteria strains) based on the knowledge that bacteria benefits. I also into fermented food as well - for the same prebiotic/postbiotic reasons.

I agree with you on strength vs muscles to most degree. But good thing about getting stronger as that muscles follows the strength - as you are getting stronger you eventually changing your body composition. The only frustrating part about it is the slowness of the process Smile But I should not complain - because I should be starting when I was 20-25, not 57 Smile

Btw, another funny and very motivating thing that happened few days ago - actually after your message. Since high school I was very weak muscled guy. I was very good in many sports, generally very fit and athletic (not aesthetically though Smile, but my weakest feature was - no muscles (or strength) at all. I remember my high school coach faked my pull/chin results (I had to make 10 pulls to make the cut) because I was so good in rest of the sports but cannot do one chin up. Ok, maybe one chin up but even that would look pathetic. And that was all my life. I never worked on my strength - I have no clue why? I guess I was brain washed that some people just not meant to have strength Smile. And recently, when I started to work on that, the same - I could not do one pullup/chin-up (and yes, I know pull ups harder than chin-ups) - so, I stopped doing them not because I gave up on them but because I just decided - let's work on general stuff, on most basic but important exercises and then at some point get back to pullups/chin-ups - because you cannot avoid them at some point. So, yesterday, I went to my pullup bar and did 8 chin-ups in a row - 8! and I stopped because I got too excited - I could probably manage another 2, if I concentrate Smile Looking forward to what I might achieve if I stay to be consistent with strength training for continuation of my life 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

mmerkle

Steve Have you tried carefully going through your log notes for your training runs, including the days leading up to them, and comparing that to the marathons? Unless it's just really bad luck, which is possible, there must be something we are missing.

darkwave/piwikiwi Thanks for the race compliments. This was my first race since the marathon. I have been putting in the speed work though.

RP Sick week!

Dave Glad to see the good news. Excited for your race plans.

My Week:

in ft
        05/29 Shakeout 4.06 6.54 00:31:06 07:40 04:45 82
        05/29 4 X (400 fast / 400 jog) 2.01 3.24 00:13:15 06:36 04:05 52
        05/29 200 Hard (1st one) 0.13 0.21 00:00:29 03:43 02:18 0
        05/29 200 Hard (2nd one) 0.13 0.21 00:00:28 03:35 02:13 0
        05/29 Cool Down 2.06 3.31 00:16:13 07:52 04:54 26
        05/30 Morning Run 9.09 14.62 01:11:21 07:51 04:53 453
        05/31 Morning Run 5.08 8.17 00:40:24 07:57 04:57 200
        06/01 Warm Up 2.03 3.26 00:16:06 07:56 04:56 0
        06/01 Twilight Series Race 1 2.02 3.25 00:10:55 05:24 03:22 0
        06/01 Cool Down 1.64 2.63 00:13:10 08:02 05:00 33
        06/03 Shorty Long 12.09 19.45 01:36:57 08:01 04:59 1440
        06/04 Afternoon Run 7.05 11.35 00:54:18 07:42 04:47 358

Totals: 46.8 miles, 75.3 kilometers, 6:04:42

Commander Requesting a front page update. Erie Marathon, 9/10, sub 2:55.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Dave - I did that in 2021 when Wellington was cancelled a few days before the event.  I ran an even paced 3:36 with no issues and plenty of gas in the tank.  I guess it's something about marathon pace which weirdly doesn't happen at half marathon pace.  If it started after 35+km it would make more sense to me but it starts so early.

Cal - I do really enjoy marathon training.  There's just something about the race that I haven't figured out yet.  It can't just be 3 unlucky bad days.

mmerkle - I haven't done that for this one yet but I did it for Melbourne and found lots of cramp and potential overtraining issues.  For Christchurch there was being sick 2 sicks before the race and moving house and possibly the shoes.  For this one, I can't think of anything.  Everything went really well, race day weather was good (actually better than forecast, nowhere near as windy).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

cal I will look into this for when I’m going for my moose mug. 20 or so years to go.

davePNW it wasn’t actually bad doubling. Almost easier. 13-15 might have been much different than 8-9 twice a day. I just won’t tell my wife because I’m the one say fin ‘what could I get done if I spent my running time doing something else??” An hour twice a day seems less invasive than two hours once a day. My second runs were typically when kids were sleeping, and the first was an extended lunch.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

cal I will look into this for when I’m going for my moose mug. 20 or so years to go.

Youth is pretty ignorant (and yes, you can have two kids and still be in your youth Smile - not sure why you still so confident in 20 years you will have a better chance for a Moose Mug. Getting there will still require a tons of motivation, it's not all mechanical as you probably know already, so, in addition to good health for the next 20 years you still will have to have a extreme motivation. Just keep it in ,in mind young man Smile. Though... That sounds strange to my ear now - if you are young, then I am old? But I am not old at all, then what are you? Oh, yes, millennial Smile .

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I am not doing Gma's. I am running CIM in December. My mother-in-law is aging quickly so we are taking a trip they did as a family 20 years ago. All her kids and grandkids are going. The only week that works was June 13-20th. I was signed up for grandma's but ended up doing a bib transfer. One of my college teammates lives out by CIM course so i am going to run and stay out there. He is considering pacing me which would be awesome. He wakes up in the morning in 2:30 shape even when he is jogging 50 miles a week. So running my pace would be a moderate effort long run for him. Doing a bunch of 5k, 10k, half and 10 mile races before starting the marathon block. Going to try for some PR and crack 16 on more time before 40 y.o.

Whoops - sent too soon.  Here are the rest of my comments:

MMerkle - I think that was a good race.  IIRC, this is your first race since the marathon, and 2 miles on the track seems like a tough way to rip off that bandaid.  I've always found that it takes a bit of time to transition between marathon fitness and speedy fitness.

Longboat - like the others, I'm glad that it went well.  I hope you heal quickly and well, and keep checking in.

Marky_Mark - good to hear that it all went well!  Congratulations!!!!

Piwi  - nice to just casually drop an 18:3x 5K.  I'm impressed.

DPS - good to see you here!  Are you doing Grandma's this year?

Flavio - very smart to rework the schedule.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Ok hopefully I don't forget anyone 

Flavio good move switching your longrun day. You are living the dream with the amazing places you travel to.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

DW no shame in adjusting the reps. I find as I age I modify vo2 workouts and tempos to suit me and not leave me trashed for the rest of the day. One notable adjustment is my first tempo kms or vo2max intervals can be fairly slow as my heart rate adjusts to coming up. Then the rest feel much more comfortable.

I see there is an Adios 8 out with great reviews as an awesome speed/racing shoe maybe better than Takumi Sens.

Mikkey cheers. I went out the door not knowing what run I was doing but got motivated as I bailed on Parkrun with my mate who got his 1st sub 20. I wore nike tempo next % which I bought by accident as they were about 30 quid. They are real bouncy but a plastic plate. How is your running going ?

RP congratulations on the 100. You are a beast now and totally the alpha on here 

My highest week ever is about 80 and my body protested.

Cal thanks. I ran about 16 mpw for 6 months and then got back to 30 to 40 mpw. The last 5k was after 5 weeks at the increased mileage. Saturdays time trial was after a further 7 weeks of good training. Its always sobering how hard the fast pace feels after a layoff. I was hoping age hadn't caught up and I might not get back to decent 5k times.

Like you I'm trying to live a more all round life of fitness.

I bought a small amount of weights and do the workouts in my garage. My arms and chest are much stronger and I do core twice a week and still surf.

We have 6 chickens and I have 2 poached eggs on toast after my morning run every day. I haven't been counting calories but notice I have to eat alot.

I basically weigh exactly the same as you although I haven't checked for about 6 months when I was 68kgs.

My 17 year old is addicted to the gym and keeps a huge jar of protein powder at home.

What sort of mileage will the new Cal be running?

Dave nice on the 50 mpw. Do you do anything for your back ? I find I have to stretch it daily. I do the lie on my back and bring my leg across to get the click click click. If I don't get the click I know I'm tight and locked up.

I also bought a back decompression tool basically a hump you lie over. It seems it something we have to work on daily.

Steve thanks for the race recap.

I'm enjoying the hard fought rawness of your marathon journey. Much better than someone who nails it first time 

What warmup do you do for your marathons ? I never did any. The walk to the start is usually enough.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

DavePNW

Dave nice on the 50 mpw. Do you do anything for your back ? I find I have to stretch it daily. I do the lie on my back and bring my leg across to get the click click click. If I don't get the click I know I'm tight and locked up.

I also bought a back decompression tool basically a hump you lie over. It seems it something we have to work on daily.

Oh yeah, that’s the stuff. There are a few stretches that I can do to get some release. When it flares up, every movement instead just causes more pain. I know things are improving when I can make it pop. That hump sounds good; sometimes I’ll just bend backwards while standing. I’ve switched to a standing desk for work, because long periods of sitting is the worst thing.

What warmup do you do for your marathons? I never did any. The walk to the start is usually enough.

+1

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - That's mind boggling. You decide to run 100 miles in a week and you just run it.
                      I mean, you don't end up in the hospital, just nothing, it's like nothing happened. I'm shocked at your superpowers!

Steve - My theory is that it has to do with energy expenditure. That I believe is the root cause. Somehow, once the tank is low on fuel, it's like the body starts producing some sort of acidity that attacks the muscles first, but after a while it attacks the neural system.
                      Within that theory, both you and me are not economical runners, we're like a diesel truck at marathon pace, consuming far too much fuel for the pace.
                      We get away with half marathon races because we never empty the tank on those, but with their marathon lasting over 2h we do empty the tank and suffer the consequences.
                      People like RP and Jmac are probably spending barely more energy than easy pace when running marathon pace.
                      At least this is the pattern I have observed in all my defeats. Like in the last one where I started seeing the low tank signals at around 30k, somehow managed to continue on reserve until Km 39 (about 2h40) when I abruptly imploded.
                      Like I mentioned before, my theorised solution is that I train just enough so that I can push that bonk about 25 minutes ahead.

Dave - That's great news, but like others have said, hold your horses 😁

Cal - The thing is it's nearly impossible for you to gain a non trivial amount of muscle weight at your age (via natural ways), even if you are a freak of nature. You are likely though to still gain some but maintain about the same weight.
                      Your testosterone production has long been declining, and you're probably unable to eat the amount of protein and calories to enable any gain.
                      The protein powders help, but they also contain significant sugar and/or sweeteners a lot of times, which I believe is counter productive to gaining lean muscle.
                      I've tried finding non sweetened whey protein here but could not find it anywhere, except maybe online.
                      Do note if you try to eat more than your body wants, even if in liquid form, you will have a high risk of developing hiatus hernia, which is a very bad outcome in my opinion.

Piwi - We definitely have chosen to live here in Porto due to the multiple direct flights everywhere ✈️

These weekend get aways do a lot of good for my well being. We're frugal and never eat at fancy restaurants (Cause, unironically, we don't like the vibe, you know, when the waiter is wearing gloves kind of thing, when there are more forks and knifes than I have hands), flights are dirt cheap (50 euros or less usually), and we do not drive, (renting a car is always super expensive), so they're not too heavy on the wallet.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I see there is an Adios 8 out with great reviews as an awesome speed/racing shoe maybe better than Takumi Sens.

Is the Adios 8 substantially different from the Adios 7?  I've been using the Adios 7 for my interval workouts and long runs, and like it a lot.

WRT shoes: I just picked up a pair of the Hoka Rocket X2, and am probably going to try it out in a tempo this week.  Based on a short run so far, I really like this shoe - part of that may be because it's the first supershoe I think I've ever run in that fits my foot well.

What warmup do you do for your marathons ? I never did any. The walk to the start is usually enough.

I have a related question (as someone who a) needs to warm-up before a marathon and b) has to start out below race effort and ease in):

Steve - I noted that you started your race at goal pace (at least that's how it looks on Strava).  Did you ever do any runs in training where you did that (started off immediately at marathon goal pace).   If not, that may be one thing to consider.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

RP- Nice week!  I agree with Dave that it's almost as mentally taxing as it is physical.  There's a certain point somewhere between 80-100 where figuring out and scheduling when to fit in runs is almost as hard as executing them.

Dave- good to hear your back is feeling better.  I struggle with that as well and know how difficult it can be.

MMerk- Nice to see there's another race going on the front page! Like the goal too.  Sub-2:55 is awesome goal.

Cal - How's the CIM training going?  Or is it too early?

Mark- Congratulations!!  as the father of 2 wonderful adult daughters enjoy the ride.....It's a marathon not a sprint (pun intended).

DK- Keep pounding out those miles!  Philly will be here before you know it I'm up in the air right now about fall races.  My choices so far are:

Steamtown (Scranton 10/8) downhill, smallish, fast and in the same town as The Office (one of my favorite shows)

Philly (11/19) Cool weather, great support, family nearby

CIM (do I need to list date?)

My week focused on miles, heat acclimation and a nice steady long run:

Weekly for period: From: 05/29/2023 To 06/04/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                          in ft
                          05/29 Morning Run 6.27 10.09 00:51:42 08:15 05:07 371
                          05/31 AM recovery 7.65 12.30 01:04:01 08:22 05:12 463
                          06/01 AM commute 7.65 12.31 01:02:41 08:12 05:06 240
                          06/01 PM commute HOT 7.61 12.25 01:01:47 08:07 05:03 322
                          06/02 AM MLR commute 13.15 21.16 01:43:15 07:51 04:53 397
                          06/03 Recovery 6.58 10.59 00:55:56 08:30 05:17 371
                          06/04 Steady pace LR 22.11 35.58 02:52:22 07:48 04:51 919

Total distance: 71.03mi

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

WHAT COULD WE DEFINITELY DO BETTER NEXT TIME?

I'm kind of at a loss here. Why don't I have these issues in training? 3 weeks ago I did a harder session than this and crushed it. It's part mental but there must be a physical component we haven't found. I think maybe we try building the mileage to 120-140km weeks, maybe in a build phase over summer. For now I will focus on recovery and some shorter races. Beth did suggest I try a 32-35km training run, all at race pace and see what happens...I know this goes against a lot of training principles but at this stage it seems like as good an idea as any.

Chiming in here for one to say that Steve is a real road warrior here, keeping taking cracks at the marathon distance. I would have given up sooner than him. He deserves some real kudos.

This quote here though is what sums up my thoughts each time - it just doesn't make sense to me. Didn't you cramp somewhere around the half mark in your last marathon, at a much slower pace than your marathon? You've also run great on that ridiculous downhill half marathon course, which should be a prime time for your legs to give out.

I feel like a lot of folks give up too easily on the marathon without trying enough things, but I'm at a total loss for you. I don't think it's going to be something simple that you need to try in regular training, e.g. just run a few 23 milers and you'll be fine (you did that a few marathons ago and crashed and burned). Or that it's a nutrition issue. Or if you just did this one workout, you'll be fine. This isn't a need for tweaking: you need to try something crazy.

Honestly, I think if you're going to try the marathon again, I would recommend something very radical: a 7 day taper, and a steep one at that. If you crush every single training run, and you cramp super early in marathons, the only thing I can point to at this point is that for some reason your body needs to be tired to not cramp. It seems totally backwards, but what else could it be? Maybe mental stress you put on yourself, but you probably feel similar before half marathons and yet you do well there too. Basically I would run 18 miles a week out, then normal easy runs on Monday and Tuesday, maybe 50% of a normal workout on Wednesday (instead of something super light), and then a steep drop off into Sunday.

I thought it was because you overtrained 3 marathons ago, but that's clearly not the answer here. Let's put it this way: I bet that if you didn't taper at all, you could run a PR in training. Maybe not your true potential, but a better PR than you have. We've seen some guys on here be successful with that. And how many of us run great times on races in the middle of training where we barely taper? I think for real newbies, the risk over under-tapering is strong. But I think for folks who know what they're doing, but haven't reached their potential, there is a bigger risk of over-tapering. It's like easy runs: all the new folks run them too fast, but then there's this segment of people who know a little bit about easy running and then take it to crazy extremes without any real reason of why they'd run so slowly.

Anyway - just a thought. But like I said, you've tried so much and nothing has really worked, so there's no shame in just giving up on the distance if you're not enjoying it. It's a very hard distance to master, and some folks just aren't built for it (like others aren't built for speed).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Anyway - just a thought. But like I said, you've tried so much and nothing has really worked, so there's no shame in just giving up on the distance if you're not enjoying it. It's a very hard distance to master, and some folks just aren't built for it (like others aren't built for speed).

It might be time to try out that HotShot product, who knows what if it works for Steve. I'm seriously considering taking that with me on my next marathon race (then also take a pill of Omeprazol for the subsequent heart burn 😂).

That book about the runner's gut (Have you read it yet Jmac?) mentioned it as a potential solution, as well as pickle juice, but I'm not carrying a jar of pickle LOL. The book states that capsaicin (And cinnamon) works by calming down the neurons that are acting crazy thus effectively terminating the cramp.

I'm fairly sure most of us can deal with the pain itself, especially during a race, it's just that when neurons go haywire you essentially lose partial or full control over the muscle and can do nothing, which is very annoying and frustrating.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

Cal - The thing is it's nearly impossible for you to gain a non trivial amount of muscle weight at your age (via natural ways), even if you are a freak of nature. You are likely though to still gain some but maintain about the same weight.
                                Your testosterone production has long been declining, and you're probably unable to eat the amount of protein and calories to enable any gain.
                                The protein powders help, but they also contain significant sugar and/or sweeteners a lot of times, which I believe is counter productive to gaining lean muscle.
                                I've tried finding non sweetened whey protein here but could not find it anywhere, except maybe online.
                                Do note if you try to eat more than your body wants, even if in liquid form, you will have a high risk of developing hiatus hernia, which is a very bad outcome in my opinion.

Ha-ha flavio - who even mentioned non-trivial amount of muscle? Smile My arms were always like sticks - not even a resemblance of a tiny "hill" on my arms the whole life. So, anything different than a flat on my arms at this point would be really good Smile. But as I mentioned, I think I am definitely getting stronger - chin-ups are finally here Smile and when I hang on a pullup bar every morning, I can do that for more than 2 minutes, when at the beginning 20 seconds would be a challenge. I wish I knew what my testosterone level was when I was in my 20s-30s because it is pretty decent right now. The protein powders I consume do not contain any added sugars - Hemp Protein powder actually contains 11g of protein and 11g of fiber - so, all carbs come from fiber, and pea protein only contains 27g of protein and nothing else. Even if you want to use Whey protein, you still can find some kind without sweeteners and sugars - just have to do some search Smile And yes, I buy it on amazon.

Good trusted guys recommend from 0.8g/kg (maintenance mode) of protein to 1.6-2g/kg when trying to gain. I am about 1.1-1.2 per kg and definitely trying to get protein from natural sources, but that's tough Smile Right now I am trying to understand role of carbs in metabolism as a lot of guys say that good carbs are crucial for body when in exercise mode.

And yes, I am definitely no freak of nature - probably just a freak, that's all...

fishy - no, not even close to training mode right now Smile First it's too far away, maybe will start doing higher mileage starting from August? For now it's 10-20-25 miles per week - whenever I feel like running right now, I do. The priorities are different now. It's funny, when I was in my 20s, I can see now I was thinking about everything in a short term. Now, when I am close to my 60s, I am thinking in a long term. I find it really funny Smile. Another thing - if you tell me I might lose to Mikkey in a race, I would get really unhappy. Now... I do not mind - and I didn't lose competitiveness, I think, I just became probably wiser?  (doubt it though... Smile

piwi - I am running about 10-20 right now, per week. Hope to run close to 60 mpw maybe when preparing for CIM (Mikkey challenge Smile . Good thing your son is addicted to gym and not to other stuff Smile I think good shape and form is very important for younger guys, and for older guys actually too - believe me, I am trying to get stronger and look better just to boost my confidence - which I totally lack now.