Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Nothing like running with others to make it feel so easy.

However if I told my wife I would be marathon training with one woman she would cut my balls off and serve them to me on a plate with a side of lettuce 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

a smith - based on your races, looks like you live in the Seattle area. Which part? I'm in Mill Creek, but we might never cross paths because I'm a 100% road runner. Although a number of folks in my running group (Green Lake) are trail/ultra crazies, so you may know them from races.

Hey Dave, ya i live in N Seattle. im at greenlake area running most afternoons. i try to do a group run once in a while but get surrounded by chatty 20 somethings and end up by myself wondering why i did it and just put my music back on. i probably know one or two of the crazies idk. i dont do facebook so i hardly exist 🤣 been doing just local races lately.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Welcome Mr. Smith, nice to have another mature runner around.  Funny I've never really tried "grumpy" running.  I dabble in "this sucks" and "why did I sign up for this race?" running a bit....... but I'm usually annoyed at myself for some unforced error or miscalculation of pace and not others.  Maybe I need to project the annoyance on others

Considering my first ever trail race this Sunday.  I know the path from fishing the river in my youth so it should be fun.  Not going for time just want the experience.

haha half kidding. i love running. maybe im like ren and love being angry too? i never project it. i put it in my heart and burn it like coal. enjoy the trail! it's fun just dont fall! honestly i find roads more challenging ie the same motion over and over

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

However if I told my wife I would be marathon training with one woman she would cut my balls off and serve them to me on a plate with a side of lettuce 

It won't be happening for a while because obviously I need time out and she has surgery coming up...her husband does come and crew her on his bike so I'm sure it will be okay.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Ugh I hope you are joking RP we love having you here. Pretty sure Cal meant no harm.

Yeah I think that was just an honest difference of opinion rather than the other kind that occasionally happens around here lol.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’d take that as a compliment as you’ve obviously been married a long time!

a smith - Welcome!  I have the utmost respect for trail and ultra runners. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

a smith - Welcome!  I have the utmost respect for trail and ultra runners. 

Sure you do.

The idea of participating in an ultra 50/100 miles/48 hour thing a bit faster than walking pace is quite frankly for retards. 🤷‍♂️

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sure you do.

Yawn. I already know that you’ve got zero sense of humour.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Yawn. I already know that you’ve got zero sense of humour.

The better explanation is that you’re not nearly as funny as you think you are, and often you just like making insults and pretending they're jokes. That's not comedy, it's just gutter-sniping.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The better explanation is that you’re not nearly as funny as you think you are.

Yeah you’re probably right. 👍

In other news….I was coming back from my walk with Tyson this morning and I bumped into our local funeral director and he actually tried to sell me a coffin???  I told him that’s the last thing I need. 🤷‍♂️

Ah I love a good Mark/Mikkey fight/banter 

I think I'm the only person in the world who has met you both. That makes me special 

Mikkey over here they advertise retirement  villages for anyone over 50 .

My dad has his coffin already made in the shape of his sea kayak.

A smith sorry forgot to welcome you. I'm more a low mileage short race guy but one day I may embrace something longer.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Cal - your post brings joy to me. Another convert to the church of the strength training 💪
                          One common trick to improve on pull ups and chin ups is to use a chair to elevate yourself to the top position, then slowly lower yourself.
                          You are essentially only performing the descending part of the exercise, but still building strength.

Not sure if the convert is a right word. But, basically, one day I realized that I have to do something else in addition to running to try to be in a good shape as I age. Running is just not enough for healthy aging. And I know, of course, that it is not a guarantee from bad luck in older age, but that doesn't mean we should not do all we can to age gracefully. I just wish I realized and started earlier - main muscle loss starts after 30 (they say) and the earlier you start the fight against muscle loss (you still will lose it but with the same loss rate, it's one thing, losing from 100 lbs of muscle and another, losing from 50 lbs - by the same age those two individuals would be still in different shape due to different muscle mass) the better.

Yeah, I am sure there are many tricks around strength training, but I am so low at the level of muscle development that for now I just do full body workout 3 days a week and will continue doing it for 2-3 months more. Hope it will be a foundation and then I already read and watched enough - so, I have some ideas about my future strength training programs. Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Hey Dave, ya i live in N Seattle. im at greenlake area running most afternoons. i try to do a group run once in a while but get surrounded by chatty 20 somethings and end up by myself wondering why i did it and just put my music back on. i probably know one or two of the crazies idk. i dont do facebook so i hardly exist 🤣 been doing just local races lately.

a smith - well I may never see you, since I only run at Green Lake early mornings. And I enjoy the chattiness of the group! Yes there are people the age of my kids, but there are also people my age and older (I'm also 58), and everywhere in between. I never listen to music on my runs anyway, so otherwise it's silence like my other 6 days.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

In other news….I was coming back from my walk with Tyson this morning and I bumped into our local funeral director and he actually tried to sell me a coffin???  I told him that’s the last thing I need. 🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Mr Smith - Welcome aboard! I also get very bored when people start talking about zodiac signs and soap operas.

Cal - It might be personal preference, but I'd much rather people assume I know nothing and tell me everything than the opposite. Especially at work.
                              Re: Strength training yeah you're gonna see quite some gains and then hopefully that leads you to keeping this habit.

Piwi - I wouldn't expect anything less from Ms Kiwi 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

Cal - It might be personal preference, but I'd much rather people assume I know nothing and tell me everything than the opposite. Especially at work.
                                Re: Strength training yeah you're gonna see quite some gains and then hopefully that leads you to keeping this habit.

I am noticing strength improvements right now, lifting more, doing more, but visually there are almost no changes Sad. But, of course, it's too early to ask for any visual changes. 3-4 months of consistent 3 days per week full body workouts, then we will see if there are any (hopefully).

talking about freaks of nature - this guy is 84 years old and he started to exercise at age of 59:

Jeffry Life short story

yeah... younger people will say - what "freak" - his physique is not that impressive. But think about the guy who started doing it at the age of 59 !!!! And who looked completely like a couch potato at that age. I will take the changes he made any time of the day - and I started at 57.5 - earlier than him Smile The only thing I do not like about his story - he is a big fan of hormone replacement. But still -  ha-ha - more hope for me as I started earlier than him. But I need to figure out stuff with my diet for sure...

Running definitely took a back seat Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile