Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am noticing strength improvements right now, lifting more, doing more, but visually there are almost no changes Sad. But, of course, it's too early to ask for any visual changes. 3-4 months of consistent 3 days per week full body workouts, then we will see if there are any (hopefully).

You need to post before and after pics so that anyone not strength training will feel inspired to hit the weights!  But make sure you have a glum looking face for the before photo and a happy face in the after photo! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - I'd take the story on that video with a massive pinch of salt.
      Yes, if you exercise and start eating healthy food and cut out processed food, alcohol and sugars you will improve massively.
      Yes, you can look very lean and have excellent posture.
      Also, yes you can gain strength, there's a saying that "strength is the last thing to do", together with another saying "old man strength".
      But things like Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) have side effects and possible long term issues, as with everything there are risks with using that.
      Like I mentioned before, I'd rather look lean than buff. I know you want those beach muscles, they will come at some point, just stick with it.

On a separate subject, where are the Americans? Is there something going on in the US at the moment? It seems all the Americans suddenly vanished from this thread. Was there a holiday? Did uncle Vlad nuke them into oblivion? I thought I'd see multiple posts complaining about the orange sky ( I saw memes on 9gag ).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

On a separate subject, where are the Americans? Is there something going on in the US at the moment? It seems all the Americans suddenly vanished from this thread. Was there a holiday? Did uncle Vlad nuke them into oblivion? I thought I'd see multiple posts complaining about the orange sky ( I saw memes on 9gag ).

Hi Flavio I'll check in.  I really don't have any insights into weight training or supplements, diet etc.  because I don't do any I do enjoy the conversation and read the posts so keep it up. As far as the smoke, I've seen the stories and looked at a map and I'm in a strange smoke free bubble right over Boston.  Don't know if it will move over us or the Northeast winds will keep it away but I'm hoping for the latter  The smoke does seem to be effecting the area that I was thinking about a trail race Sunday so I may skip the race and just run here instead.

Mikkey ....agree on the before and after pics.  I have a picture of myself pre-running that my kids kindly refer to as my "fat-dad" phase (over 200 LBs as a 5'10") but I'm happy smiling and holding a huge fish so it doesn't have the same effect.  By contrast I have another of me at about mile 20 or so in a marathon and I look remarkably pained and in agony......Go figure 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

AQI 150-160+ I won’t go run.

edit:unless I have a year long streak goal in which case AQI 400 is okay for 15 minutes of extra easy effort.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

.  I really don't have any insights into weight training or supplements, diet etc.  because I don't do any

+1000

Dave

edit:unless I have a year long streak goal in which case AQI 400 is okay for 15 minutes of extra easy effort.

First part—same for me. Mostly out of an abundance of caution since I have asthma. 

Second part—it actually stopped my longest-ever streak of 250 days, in 2020. It would have likely kept going for quite a while, since the things that usually prevent me from running are (1) injuries, and I stayed remarkably healthy 2020-21 despite running my highest mileage ever of 3200+ miles both years, (2) I always take a few days off after a marathon, and there were none of those going on, (3) occasionally crazy travel schedules, and there wasn’t much of that going on. 

I’ve also tried to do my best to avoid being That Guy who responds to every complaint about the smoke with “oh yeah, we get one or two stretches of that every summer out west.” But of course we do, and I’ve seen a couple great memes to that effect.

Dave

Pain is my friend

I go out in crappy air all the time. The smoke and bad air get trapped in the SLC valley all the time. I tried one year to get above the smoke. Running at 9k-10k ft didn't get above it. I have worn a filtered mask at times. But I can't wear it for long. Can't breath.

Mark- Congrats on then new baby.

Welcome Smith to the Racing Jerks. Lots of take about speed. Ultra runners need speed too.

Weight training or supplements, diet etc:  I have started to do some weight training. Only because of my next race. I switched to a low carb/keto ish diet about 1.5 years ago. Killed my speed at first but did wonders for my long distance running. I am getting that sub 7 pace slowly.

I have been here watching in the background. Mostly pounding out my training. Been doing some killer Progressive runs. This weeks was 11 miles. Started at 8:19 and finished at 6:26. Did my peak long run this last weekend. 27 miles of road on a paved parkway trail. Ran the last 7 miles 30 sec faster than the rest. Its now Taper time for the torcher Dome. 24 hours on a 442 meter track.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey ....agree on the before and after pics.  I have a picture of myself pre-running that my kids kindly refer to as my "fat-dad" phase (over 200 LBs as a 5'10") but I'm happy smiling and holding a huge fish so it doesn't have the same effect.  By contrast I have another of me at about mile 20 or so in a marathon and I look remarkably pained and in agony......Go figure 

LOL!  Wow you must’ve lost a lot of weight to get into sub3 shape!  I’m also 5’10” and my heaviest weight was 12st 2Ibs (170) at 41yo just before I started running and wore 34” waist jeans. OMG I feel so embarrassed looking back that I let myself go like that as I’m a natural light build.  But it’s never too late to make “healthy marathon” changes in your life. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Krash-  Approximately how many laps are you shooting for and at what point in the race do you stop counting?  Can you give me a sample fueling strategy for a race like that?  I assume some real food as well as energy drinks, gels etc.

Mikkey Yes, I was a 36" waist and they were beginning to feel snug Both Sub 3s have come just a shade under 170 LB.  I think my lightest recorded weight was 164.8 which was recent and came directly after a LR so probably low due to dehydration.  I think I could drop 5 and still be healthy but anything under that and I'd start to worry about injury.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CalBears

Cal - I'd take the story on that video with a massive pinch of salt.
                      Yes, if you exercise and start eating healthy food and cut out processed food, alcohol and sugars you will improve massively.
                      Yes, you can look very lean and have excellent posture.
                      Also, yes you can gain strength, there's a saying that "strength is the last thing to do", together with another saying "old man strength".
                      But things like Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) have side effects and possible long term issues, as with everything there are risks with using that.
                      Like I mentioned before, I'd rather look lean than buff. I know you want those beach muscles, they will come at some point, just stick with it.

flavio - oh, I agree... all these replacement therapies, only if they are the last escape maybe? When your life really sucks and you need to do something to make it ok? No, I am going to do it the natural way.

Beach muscles? Ha-ha... No way - I started way too late to have beach muscles. But I am really excited that I started to do that - biggest thing the running showed me is that if you are persistent and smart and not looking for quick results, it pays off, the results should show up eventually. Though, I am so skeptical about results showing up - because never in my life I had even a slightest resemblance of the muscles on me - never. As I mentioned, I could not do one pullup in any year of my life.

Nothing unusual in Bay area re the skies or anything like that. Everything looks normal. Maybe the weather is cooler than usual but that is a good thing - 70-74 oF - feels so much better than 90-100oF Smile

DavePNW - I know you are a smart person, I wish you all the best and hope that sooner than later you will start doing that. Better sooner.  You want delay inevitable decline in your quality of life in later years (Fishy - you too!). Start now. Honestly. I don't wanna sound like a smart ass, hope not, just wish all people close to my age to realize that. Ok, no more - sorry, don't want you to get me wrong Smile

Mikkey - I am so bad at taking pictures... Any picture I take, I hate it, I like how I look but do not like my face - I still see myself in my 20s and my late 50s look really ugly Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Good to see the over 50 runners dominating the conversation here 

Krash nice long run. Perfect when you can speed up the 2nd half of a longrun. I think Mikkey did a crazy track marathon or longer ?

Fishy as a fisherman been fat is probably more the norm . I went out last Sunday and got 2 nice trevally 50cm and 5 snapper one at 55cm. We measure from nose to inside fork of tail. Limit is 7 snapper over 30cm.

Cal I agree with you on the weights for overv 50s. Very beneficial. I also am totally supplement free except these Vision eye tablets I'm taking hoping for a miracle . I hate also how old I look now. Especially my skin. Too much sun isn't good.

Mikkey you are a good build for running. I'm a little stocky. I was 5'8 but life has shrunken me to slightly under that and I can't go lighter than 66kgs.

Flavio the guy in Cals vid looks amazing but I can't stand those robotic voice overs they use

Ok I have to go do vo2 max now ughh.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I’m also 5’10” and my heaviest weight was 12st 2Ibs (170) at 41yo just before I started running and wore 34” waist jeans. OMG I feel so embarrassed looking back that I let myself go like that 

This is exactly me now.  Maybe more often around 167-168. But I was 160 lb when I reached my current height 40 years ago, so I don’t think I’m built to be less than that. I always thought I’d want to drop some weight to get faster, but I guess I don’t want to do so badly enough, if it means eating less. I end up dropping a couple pounds when I’m at 70+ mpw in marathon training, but otherwise I do a pretty good job of replenishing all the calories I burn. I’ve accepted that I do not have the ideal distance running build.

Dave

Pain is my friend

I wont count the laps. The timing system will do that for me. I will we checking my pace by lapping on my watch. I am shooting for the moon for miles. About 500-600 laps. 145-155 miles. I will be shooting for 200-300 cal an hour or 40-60 carbs. I will drink at least 16 oz of fluid an hour. One hour will be water and the next a drink mix called Formula 369. On the hour I am not using my drink mix, I will take 2 gels and hour or fruit snacks/Chocolale pandas (short bread with chocolate inside. From Costco). I will drink Mt Dew when ever I feel like it. Around dinner time I will put in some real food but slowly. What ever sounds good. I will take one salt pill an hour.

Most of my 24 hour races I am able to stick to a set diet plan for the first 17-20 hours. Then I put in what ever is easy. Pancakes are amazing but dry. I have an iron stomach and can eat what I want.

I plan to run for 2 miles and then fast walk for 30 sec. I have done 20 milers on an indoor take with this strategy. I am able to make up the walk time in 3-4 laps and get back on pace

I remember someone doing a marathon on this same track. Mikkey was it you? Tips on running at this venue?

Krash-  Approximately how many laps are you shooting for and at what point in the race do you stop counting?  Can you give me a sample fueling strategy for a race like that?  I assume some real food as well as energy drinks, gels etc.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

CalBears

Weight training or supplements, diet etc:  I have started to do some weight training. Only because of my next race. I switched to a low carb/keto ish diet about 1.5 years ago. Killed my speed at first but did wonders for my long distance running. I am getting that sub 7 pace slowly.

Interesting... Maybe I should take another shot on trail running after 5-6 months of strength training Smile Seriously... Your post made me really curious - I have never worked seriously on my strength and especially all body strength and legs strength. I wonder what it does to trail running specificity...

I remember someone doing a marathon on this same track. Mikkey was it you? Tips on running at this venue?

I believe the only US race Mikkey ran was New York marathon. Plus - Mikkey and 24 hours running???? Ha-ha-ha...I believe I know whom you are talking about, I think it was  bhearn probably?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I believe the only US race Mikkey ran was New York marathon. Plus - Mikkey and 24 hours running???? Ha-ha-ha...I believe I know whom you are talking about, I think it was  bhearn probably?

bhearn ran 530+ miles in the 6-day race back in 2019.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.