Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

mmerkle

Btw, mmerkle mentioned that guy Nick Bare as an example as being strong and fast - I watched his video on youtube - the guy ran 2:48 at the age of 28 yo !!! and he sounded so proud of himself. Come on - I ran 2:48 at the age of 50 and I think I could go faster if I was a little bit wiser with my following two years of training. 28 !!!! years old - even JMac faster than that guy by almost 15 minutes !!! Of course, 2:48 is a good time for any age, I agree, but this is not fast for 28 years old in my opinion.

First of all, I mentioned him as an example of someone who can run a lot of volume and still be strong. Second, I am 28 years old. So, I guess I'm not allowed to be proud of the 2:59 I just ran. You are ignoring genetic variability. You never ran in high school correct? In high school, a bunch of kids run the same workouts, but strangely enough, by the end of the season they are running wildly different times. That's genetic variability. I know someone my age who ran their first marathon in 2:57 despite no tempo runs, only one or two long runs up to 2 hours, and 50 miles a week is where he topped out. You weren't around, but since I joined this thread I've been working my ASS OFF. In October I logged 300 miles including a 20 mile long run in 2:19:XX which caught the attention of this thread. What did that get me in November? A 3:03:21, that's ALL that came of it. What did I do wrong? Nothing. I'm just not talented like you, JMac, and Mikkey. You popped off back to back sub 3s off mostly 8-9 minute mile runs. If I had your talent I would be way under 2:50. The day I run a 2:48, say what you what, but I'll be damn proud of it. Because my 2:48 is probably your 2:38.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I think it makes perfect sense. I don't know if you were being ironic or sarcastic, but what they are saying, in your real, everyday's life you do  not need to run or bike or swim for a long time. Usually your everyday's life involves pushing, pulling, lifting, balancing, picking up things, walking - most of the things that require strength. And biking, running or swimming are not the best and not the most effective ways to develop those life skills.

I know, I am being boring, I apologize... Will try to minimize my mumbling from now on - I am in no way trying to convert anybody - just excited to share my discovery of the subject I was so missing on all this time.... Smile

no worries. it's interesting. i still kind of disagree to some extent in my own life but also agree that general activity level being more important than endurance for longevity anyway. what i didnt understand was "activities that play out in the arena of life". that is very vague and  unhelpful verbage

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

DK previously you mentioned not wanting to run on the pitch barefoot because that's where people spit. i used to like to run barefoot on the grass but there are so many used needles around here in the last ten years or so i'd rather have spit! (i have got a used needle stuck in my shoe before). im probably not making any friends here by saying this but spitting is a disgusting habit. i dont understand why all pro athletes constantly spit. and on the trail i really get pissed when someone wont let me by and then blows a snot rocket in front of me. in China the old culture there also regards spitting as impolite and rude...and everyone there spits constantly!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Leave town for a week and you get way behind! I bounced from one coast to another attending a couple architecture/engineering conferences for work, which did afford me some nice opportunities for new running locations. Still zero ankle problems, my strength:weight ratio is improving, and I'm trying to build back up to "proper" mileage.
          Trying to catch up on all I missed and update the board as it needs it.

Longboat - I'm glad the surgery went well and hope for a speedy recovery.

DWave - Best of luck in the upcoming HM. Maybe we can meet up for a run during my next (eventual) trip to the capitol.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen are you still recovering from the ultra ? I guess they are pretty hard on the body.

Mikkey nice bike. You could use that for your tempos and put up on strava 

Flavio luckily I have a light wife too  although I don't do squats as my back felt vulnerable due to my terrible technique. I'm lifting fairly light as my little home gym allows but at least it's something.

Merkle you are training really well. You have good speed. I think you will improve at the marathon as you age. I also watch Stephen Scullion. I would like his abs .

I watched Nick Bare when he first started his channel. He's very talented considering his size.if he lost alot of that upper body muscle he would obviously be alot faster but it's impressive what he achieves looking like a body builder.

Mick always good to hear from you. I've been impressed by your training on strava.

Dave good efforts by your Mum with the walking.

They seem to be getting better at these joint replacement operations now.

Some more spectacular racing going on with the Oslow Diamond league and the men's 1500 and 5000m.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

First of all, I mentioned him as an example of someone who can run a lot of volume and still be strong. Second, I am 28 years old. So, I guess I'm not allowed to be proud of the 2:59 I just ran. You are ignoring genetic variability. You never ran in high school correct? In high school, a bunch of kids run the same workouts, but strangely enough, by the end of the season they are running wildly different times. That's genetic variability. I know someone my age who ran their first marathon in 2:57 despite no tempo runs, only one or two long runs up to 2 hours, and 50 miles a week is where he topped out. You weren't around, but since I joined this thread I've been working my ASS OFF. In October I logged 300 miles including a 20 mile long run in 2:19:XX which caught the attention of this thread. What did that get me in November? A 3:03:21, that's ALL that came of it. What did I do wrong? Nothing. I'm just not talented like you, JMac, and Mikkey. You popped off back to back sub 3s off mostly 8-9 minute mile runs. If I had your talent I would be way under 2:50. The day I run a 2:48, say what you what, but I'll be damn proud of it. Because my 2:48 is probably your 2:38.

I totally agree with you on this. Talent / genetics is a massive factor. I’ve always thought of running as being a function of two things - ability and training. At some point, you will start to hit a ceiling on one of those things. Some folks slog their backsides off for years just to get a BQ, others will do it with relatively minimal effort. Anyone who says “sub 3 is easy” is blessed with at least a moderate amount of ability and should probably be grateful for that.

Put another way… go watch a primary (elementary) school cross country. None of the kids are doing a lot of specific training at that age. There will always be fast kids but there’s also slower ones who are still trying their guts out (and slower one who’d can’t be bothered too!).

As runners what we should all be aspiring to do is push our own limits, whatever those are. Comparing race times to others is really not helpful or worthwhile unless you know they’re of similar ability to you.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

mmerkle - sorry man, I didn't want to sound like an ass, but I probably did. I apologize. And I agree with you - sub 3 time or around is pretty fast doesn't matter what and probably puts you in 2-3% of people who would do that in their lifetime. I just probably was harsh on that guy because, of course you could be strong and run sub 3 time, especially in his age. The other guy, Scullion, obviously is very impressive - wonder what his main job is - 34 yo with 2:09 in 2020 in London - that's really impressive.

Mikkey - I am trying to minimize my mortality risks and you are suggesting get on a moto bike? Do I look like crazy to you? (I probably do, but that is not the point Smile Everything that increases risks to our lives that much, should not be considered Smile

flavio - thank you for the numbers of your weight lifting - now I do not feel THAT bad . I started just recently, cannot select the program really, the long term approach, read and watched bunch of books, articles and videos. Finally decided on some approach that is low reps, but close to your maximum RM. I am doing it for a second week and my squat currently is 145lbs (66kg), press is 95lbs (43kg) and deadlift is 205lbs (93kg). Though, you should keep in mind that the program I follow advises to do 3 sets of 5 reps for the squat and press, and 1 set of 5 reps for the deadlift. Of course, I do some reps with lighter weight for each exercise before going to the last, heaviest set. The program asks you to try progressive overload for each session you have, until you can't progress anymore - 3 days a week, requesting to have a diet with a surplus calories, so, they say it would be advisable to gain at least 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Without gaining weight (60% of which supposed to be gained muscle) they think you cannot progress for long - the common addition to the last session's weight is 5lbs, but even 1 lbs more than previous session is good enough Smile. I doubt I can gain that much weight in 10 weeks, but will see. So far I think I am at my close limit in deadlift (at least at the weight and strength I am at), but I think I can progress a little bit more on the squat and press (and bench press - which is currently 105lbs (47.6kg)).

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Put another way… go watch a primary (elementary) school cross country. None of the kids are doing a lot of specific training at that age. There will always be fast kids but there’s also slower ones who are still trying their guts out (and slower one who’d can’t be bothered too!).

I will give examples of three elementary boys to support your point. 1st kid was the fastest 1 mile runner on our XC team last year and we never saw him at practice, he just played soccer 3-4 times per week. 2nd kid showed up to the team in August running 11:50 in the mile and by October, he was down to 8:50 just by getting into a routine of running 3 times per week. 3rd kid is a youngster about to join the team for the first time. His dad ran XC in college and he is already faster than my son without even getting into a running routine.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I was genuinely impressed with your sub3 earlier in the year as you have a good attitude and showed that you have the mental strength to get better at the marathon (definitely faster than 2:48 imo).  I’m more impressed with folk who can run a marathon time that aligns with their shorter distance races rather than how fast or slow they are….so if this 28yo who ran a 2:48 had say a 1:20 half PR then I’d tip my hat to him.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

My week done and happy to be over 50 mpw for another week. Had a cold and woke up feeling shit most days but found I could still run easy. One workout Tuesday which wasn't a good one probably a precursor to getting the cold.

Got a better sleep last night and a strong long run today.

No surfing this week but one morning kayakfishing and 2 core and upper body strength sessions.

Weekly for period: From: 12/06/2023 To 18/06/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                      Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in m
                      12/06 Morning Run 4.98 8.01 00:45:46 09:11 05:43 2
                      13/06 Morning Run with 7k tempo 7.46 12.01 00:53:52 07:13 04:29 2
                      13/06 Lunch Run 4.98 8.01 00:42:38 08:34 05:19 4
                      15/06 Crisp 🍦 6.22 10.01 00:51:01 08:12 05:06 2
                      16/06 Morning Run 6.22 10.02 00:51:53 08:20 05:11 14
                      17/06 Crappy head cold but running ok 6.84 11.00 00:53:39 07:51 04:53 15
                      18/06 Morning Run 14.30 23.01 01:50:33 07:44 04:48 55

Totals: Time: 06:49:22 - Statute: 51.01 mi - Metric: 82.07 km

Marky_Mark_17

Nice work Piwi. Was pretty much perfect weather most of the week which helped.  Hopefully that cold wasn't too bad if you were able to run through it.

I had a reasonable week. Legs were pretty smashed early in the week from last weekend's trail adventure... then ran some good workouts including hill repeats Wed and a good progression on Thursday but paid the price a bit with legs a little tired over the weekend.  Still, good to be keeping the mileage steadily ticking over with everything else going on.

Kudos also to Flavio for adding both metric and the other weird measurement system on the outputs.

in m
                        12/06 That run with the shuffliest of shuffles 4.37 7.03 00:33:15 07:37 04:44 92
                        13/06 That run where I unintentionally scored 5 Local Legends 9.77 15.72 01:05:18 06:41 04:09 168
                        14/06 That run where we interrupt these hills to bring you some more hills 7.65 12.30 00:52:39 06:53 04:17 228
                        15/06 That run with the first progression in ages 7.86 12.65 00:48:23 06:09 03:49 72
                        17/06 That run where it was nice to be running around in circles in the dark on Saturday morning again 8.71 14.01 00:53:27 06:08 03:49 6
                        18/06 That run where there were a lot of runners around for 6am on a Sun morning in winter 13.74 22.10 01:39:06 07:13 04:29 224

Totals: Time: 05:52:08 - Statute: 52.09 mi - Metric: 83.81 km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I might have to go run 2kms to beat you . Nice work with a new baby in the house. Yes some beautiful frosty mornings this week. I hope the heater is working in your 1998 Toyota Estima 8 seater 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - Another really solid week, hope you get over the cold soon.  Have you got a plan for a race?  I always enjoy how casual you are, then crank out a few good months and peel off a PR...

Mark - Nice week with a new baby as piwi says.  Are you sleeping?

dorothea - No, it's just an exam for the first paper thankfully.  I feel okay about it I think, definitely helped by being on 95% from the assignments.  Takes a fair bit of pressure off, although I still need about 85% for an A+.  Not that I'm obsessing over it of course...

My week - A bit bigger than the second week after Melbourne.  I think the very light first week with mainly biking helped me heal a bit quicker.  My legs feel pretty good but I guess I'll find out how good when I add some speed.  I should be ready for a 5km in 2 weeks, albeit without much speed training but it is just a threshold check.  I'm leaning towards Foster Park even though Hagley has a much stronger field.  Foster usually measures 60-80 metres long but all the Strava entries for Hagley read 4.95-4.98km.  I know there are trees in the park which can throw off GPS (source: 1000 training runs) but it seems consistently just short.  I know it's only a Park Run but if I do sneak under my PR I want it to be legit.

in m
                            12/06 Warm up 0.33 0.53 00:03:11 09:39 06:00 0
                            12/06 Easy Shakeout 5.68 9.14 00:46:50 08:15 05:07 5
                            14/06 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:15 09:34 05:55 0
                            14/06 Easy 45 5.69 9.15 00:46:38 08:12 05:06 5
                            15/06 Recovery 4.99 8.04 00:46:20 09:17 05:46 10
                            16/06 Stationary Bike 9.94 16.00 00:30:00 03:01 01:53 0
                            16/06 Warm up 0.33 0.53 00:03:00 09:05 05:40 0
                            16/06 Easy 30 3.70 5.95 00:30:15 08:11 05:05 7
                            17/06 Warm up 0.36 0.58 00:03:07 08:39 05:22 0
                            17/06 Easy hour 7.49 12.05 01:01:39 08:14 05:07 24
                            18/06 Recovery 5.62 9.04 00:50:32 09:00 05:35 10

Totals: Time: 05:24:47 - Statute: 34.52 mi - Metric: 55.54 km

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve nice recovery week. Yeah I got that Hagley parkrun slightly short apart from one where they change the start to avoid a muddy bit. It's always a bitch when it shows short after an all out effort. I think I collected my token last time then sprinted on to get the last 50m 

I'm looking at parkrun tauranga in about 2 weeks goal 18.30 and Mt Maunganui half marathon event in August where I will do the 10k. That always shows short 9.85 which pisses me off especially as you have to suffer the Mount base track at the end.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MickJogger - Thanks for the great recommendation re: the missus weight, I think I will ignore it for now though 😁
                                Kale soup is indeed very popular here, they call it "sopa de grelos".
                                "Grelo" is the name of a variety of kale here in Portugal.
                                In Brazil it means clitoris, imagine my face when I read that name 😂

Darkwave - Obviously you have to squat as much as your significant other weighs, so 200 pounds. The fact that you can easily squat twice your body weight is mind boggling 🤯
                                I'm also a fan of split squats and lunges

Health care systems - I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I personally prefer the system deployed in Brazil heh.
                                It focuses heavily on prevention (think vaccines, and there are "health agents" who are assigned to a community and visit people on their homes, see if they're taking the medicine correctly etc.
                                It's also very good when it comes to ER and when people need treatment for serious diseases like cancer.
                                It sucks if you need to see a doctor for a stomach ache or anything less serious.
                                But it's dirt cheap and universal (Meaning it's there for everybody so long as they hold the Brazilian citizenship, or even tourists). They debit only 11% of people's salaries with a ceiling contribution of around $600, and this also covers retirement.
                                If you're looking for better coverage for exams and doctor consultations you can go private, but it's about $100 in my age bracket (once again, dirt cheap) and the coverage is spectacular for anything non serious.

In comparison, the Italian health care system is theoretically universal but you need to be a registered resident in the city you're receiving care.
                                And they take 26% of your payment, with nearly no ceiling in contributions.

In the US as far as I heard you pay around 35% tax if you're a freelancer, and if you need health care you're gonna have to pay at least $800 more per month out of pocket, so yeah, in my view the US system is the worst of the three (It's a moot point if your employer pays it for you, they could very well pay you those $800 instead if the health care was universal).

Piwi - That 5000m was fire!!! Kiplimo and Kejelcha are in monster shape, though there are no pacers at worlds so that race will probably be slower.

Cal - Yeah, it's not a good idea to use my numbers, I'm bottom of barrel when it comes to physical strength and also why it's SO important to me. I need to work really hard so that some day I can have "average man strength". You need to be looking at Darkwave which is a tiny dynamo and lifts absurd numbers for her size.
                                I'm calling BS on that claim that you cannot make gains unless you gain weight. Weight training progress is in plateaus and break throughs just like running.
                                If you hit a plateau you can vary the training and eventually you will be gaining again.

Mark - thanks, I've wanted to add the other totals for a while but only now found time for it.

me - A nice cut back week. I think I'm ready to get back at it:

Weekly for period: From: 06/12/2023 To 06/18/2023

in ft
                                06/13 60'E 7.19 11.56 01:00:00 08:21 05:11 377
                                06/14 2x (3 mi T + 800mE) avg 3:57/3:58 10.17 16.36 01:12:16 07:06 04:25 361
                                06/15 60'E 7.47 12.01 01:00:00 08:02 05:00 338
                                06/16 45'E 5.57 8.96 00:45:00 08:05 05:01 233
                                06/17 60'E + 6x100m strides 8.24 13.26 01:06:00 08:01 04:59 433
                                06/18 2h long run 14.84 23.88 01:59:49 08:04 05:01 617

Totals: Time: 07:03:05 - Statute: 53.48 mi - Metric: 86.05 km

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly