Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Marky_Mark_17

You are Gen X.

Technically, yes, Piwi would be Gen X.

Although, these days it seems like you can just identify as whatever you feel like so IDK Piwi if you feel like being Generation Alpha or Generation Omega or Generation Piwi then that's all good too (apparently).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

He doesn’t get enough screen time limits to be considered Generation Alpha. Although, he might have been traumatized by Covid 19.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Alpha

AndyTN you need to do more squats. Never skip leg day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Technically, yes, Piwi would be Gen X.

Although, these days it seems like you can just identify as whatever you feel like so IDK Piwi if you feel like being Generation Alpha or Generation Omega or Generation Piwi then that's all good too (apparently).

In the UK earlier this week a 13yo kid wanted to identify as a cat and whenever another pupil pointed out how ridiculous it was….the teacher told her off!  https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/school-girl-identify-cat-investigation/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I mean if you want to identify as a dog that would be perfectly fine in my book…..but as a cat???

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I mean if you want to identify as a dog that would be perfectly fine in my book…..but as a cat???

I identify as a cat and I resent your comment 🤡

In a serious note, we're living inside the movie Idiocracy. It's my only possible explanation for the bizarre stuff that is happening in the last 10 years.

Andy - What MMerkle and Mark said. Heavy weights low reps (something like 3x5 reps).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I only know Billy Idol for that song "Eyes without a face". I had no idea he was in a punk rock band.

I blame this on my parents cause I was raised listening to a Brazilian's "sertanejo", which is like country music, but much worse.

My first ever experience with something different was a Roxette's cassette tape gifted to me by a cousin when I was about 14.

I knew zero words of English at the time, so I just mumbled to the chorus of "How do you do". Good times.

Interestingly, about 16 years later I finally had a chance to attend a Roxette concert, but by then Marie had lost her high notes and they refused to tone down the song or use backing vocals. It crushed my expectations LOL, I was somehow expecting to hear the original sound.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

watching old Sertanejo videos and youtube gives me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMhnIUOOLdE

i think Billy Idol worked hard to dispel the pretty boy image but he was never punk material. hard rocker maybe. kinda glam. shoulda ran with that!

crap im late for work!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

DavePNW

In a serious note, we're living inside the movie Idiocracy. It's my only possible explanation for the bizarre stuff that is happening in the last 10 years.

I think most people agree with this; what people can’t agree on is who the idiots are.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I think most people agree with this; what people can’t agree on is who the idiots are.

Very good point.

This cycle of people not liking certain changes in the world and thinking the world is full of idiots must've been repeating since the beginning of time 😂

It's similar to that pattern where each generation finds that the previous generation are antiquated and behind the times, and the next generation are too soft and have the life too easy.

DavePNW

It's similar to that pattern where each generation finds that the previous generation are antiquated and behind the times, and the next generation are too soft and have the life too easy.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I only know Billy Idol for that song "Eyes without a face". I had no idea he was in a punk rock band.

I blame this on my parents cause I was raised listening to a Brazilian's "sertanejo", which is like country music, but much worse.

My first ever experience with something different was a Roxette's cassette tape gifted to me by a cousin when I was about 14.

I knew zero words of English at the time, so I just mumbled to the chorus of "How do you do". Good times.

Interestingly, about 16 years later I finally had a chance to attend a Roxette concert, but by then Marie had lost her high notes and they refused to tone down the song or use backing vocals. It crushed my expectations LOL, I was somehow expecting to hear the original sound.

I saw Roxette in 2012 after being a fan in the early 90s (Fading like a Flower, Listen to your heart, It must have been love - VERY different to most of my other musical taste).  I thought Per was amazing and Marie did pretty well considering her health issues.  I really like this from the Marie tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pczp1BEZ8Zw

It seems that in the last 10 years mental health issues have become celebrated (which I think is slightly better than ignored or denied) but now you get called a bigot or censored if you don't agree that someone is a cat etc...

I thought everyone above 30 or who doesn't go with the narrative just gets called a boomer these days.

In actual running news, I'm sticking with the Hagley Park Run next Saturday after all.  My coach said he's actually been there when they've measured it with the wheel.  The trees and a couple of tight turns don't help the GPS.  I was thinking I'd run through the finish line if it reads 4.98 but if it's measured and it's just the GPS out, am I only doing that for Strava?  Or has this forum gotten into my head....

Anyway, Coach Andy thinks a PR is a stretch on no speed training and 4 weeks post-marathon but he still wants me to go out at about my PR pace and almost wants me to blow up because that will give him good HR threshold data.  You never know, but the one in August will be my big chance.

Strength - I've definitely noticed a difference since I started proper strength training, albeit not yet in race results.  On some training runs with quicker workouts it feels much easier and I just feel stronger.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve I ran 18.06 there a couple of years ago but came up at 4.95kms. Pissed me off that I couldn't claim it.

5x1kms this morning and I tried Darkwaves warmup but couldn't quite bring myself to do the whole thing so did an abbreviated with 3 mins@hmp 90 sec recovery 2 x 30 secs at 5k with 30 secs recovery and 2 x 20 secs at mile pace 20 secs recovery. It did help me roll into the intervals.

Shoutout to Merkle on a nice 5k the other day. Had a decent hill in it which would have been quite tough.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had blood work done this morning. Test results came back REAL quick. This is just part of my annual physical.

WBC 6.6 K/uL 4.8 - 10.8 K/uL  
                            RBC 4.92 M/uL 4.70 - 6.10 M/uL  
                            Hemoglobin 14.4 g/dL 14.0 - 18.0 g/dL  
                            Hematocrit 45.8 % 42.0 - 52.0 %  
                            MCV 93.1 fL 81.4 - 97.8 fL  
                            MCH 29.3 pg 27.0 - 33.0 pg  
                            MCHC 31.4 g/dL 32.3 - 36.5 g/dL L
                            Please note new reference range effective 05/22/2023.
                            RDW 43.0 fL 35.9 - 50.0 fL  
                            Platelet Count 297 K/uL 164 - 446 K/uL  
                            MPV 9.0 fL 9.0 - 12.9 fL

Cholesterol,Tot 160 mg/dL 100 - 199 mg/dL
                            Triglycerides 67 mg/dL 0 - 149 mg/dL
                            HDL 49 mg/dL >=40 mg/dL
                            LDL 98 mg/dL <100 mg/dL

Corrected Calcium was 9.3. I've never had this tested before.

Sodium 142 mmol/L 135 - 145 mmol/L
                            Potassium 4.2 mmol/L 3.6 - 5.5 mmol/L
                            Chloride 105 mmol/L 96 - 112 mmol/L
                            Co2 28 mmol/L 20 - 33 mmol/L
                            Anion Gap 9.0 7.0 - 16.0
                            Glucose 86 mg/dL 65 - 99 mg/dL
                            Bun 15 mg/dL 8 - 22 mg/dL
                            Creatinine 0.89 mg/dL 0.50 - 1.40 mg/dL
                            Calcium 9.6 mg/dL 8.5 - 10.5 mg/dL
                            AST(SGOT) 18 U/L 12 - 45 U/L
                            ALT(SGPT) 18 U/L 2 - 50 U/L
                            Alkaline Phosphatase 89 U/L 30 - 99 U/L
                            Total Bilirubin 0.3 mg/dL 0.1 - 1.5 mg/dL
                            Albumin 4.4 g/dL 3.2 - 4.9 g/dL
                            Total Protein 7.1 g/dL 6.0 - 8.2 g/dL
                            Globulin 2.7 g/dL 1.9 - 3.5 g/dL
                            A-G Ratio 1.6 g/dL g/dL

This is just because cal was discussing diet and such.

I apparently need more iron in my diet. Someone should make Iron taste like Double Stuffed Oreo cookies.

My Alkaline Phosphotase is constantly increasing. in 2017 it was 47. Today it is 89.

Glucose is SLOWLY increasing, but not by much.

MY MCHC is low. It's actually been LOW (below 34) every year since 2016.

MPV is at the low level too.

This is the first year my WBC is above the low level. I've currently had a sore throat and removing snot from my body for about a week.

this is just odd. I need more iron so I can have more oxygen carrying ability before I attempt any moose mug. This is while living at 4,500 ft so apparently living at altitude doesn't give ME the advantage others CLAIM it does. MY Hemoglobin level is actually at the LOW level. So in other words....Marathon Scott can't be measured.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

So, when I was 6, there were 3 TV channels, and if you didn't like what was on, you went and ran around outside.  My 6 year old daughter has hundreds of shows at her fingertips on Netflix and Disney+.  Just saying.

RP - I would've thought iron was easy (and fun!) to fix. Steak and burgers!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

now you get called a bigot or censored if you don't agree that someone is a cat etc...

People are not cats. That story is a red herring. People are people, that's mainly what people need to remember.

Dave