Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Longboat - my concerns were with the sun being high in the sky, the possibility of a warmer day mucking up my plans, and that I have no way to deal with a race starting at that time.

I have highest energy levels in the early morning and my battery decreases during the day. A 2pm start would mean I'd be waiting to start since 6am, it's too much time to think about the race 😀

I've also signed up for a 5k race on August 20th, while we'll be visiting my parents in Brazil. That could go well.

You are fine running a race in Brazil but are concerned it may be too warm in Germany in October??? I would love those conditions for a half.

Heat index right now in Memphis is 116F. I have done several "beat the heat" pre-dawn runs the past few days. Temp was down to 78 when I went out this morning and it didn't feel too bad. During a heatwave last summer I went out pre-dawn and the temp was still 84 with 98% humidity. I will take hot summers with mild winters over mild summers and super cold winters.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

I will take hot summers with mild winters over mild summers and super cold winters.

Opposite preference for me. Fortunately, out here we have neither.  I would normally add "but we get the smoke," but it seems everyone gets that now.

Dave

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

You are fine running a race in Brazil but are concerned it may be too warm in Germany in October??? I would love those conditions for a half.

Riga is the Capital of Latvia actually and farther up north than Kopenhagen. Cologne is in Germany and regarding weather conditions I'm not sure whether or not swapping Riga for Cologne will turn out to be a good choice. But If Flavio is concerned about the 2pm start, then this of course might change the equation. On the other hand - why not take the chance to sleep in on race day ?

Flavio - thanks for remembering me. Google Maps tells me there are four Blumenaus in Germany, but the first result is - tatatataaa - Blumenau, Santa Catarina, Brasil.

I had my first "run" since February 10th about three weeks ago on Global Running Day. 600m / 660y wiped me out completely. This is going to take a while, I suppose.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Flavio have you watched Anatoly skits on YouTube?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Riga is the Capital of Latvia actually and farther up north than Kopenhagen. Cologne is in Germany and regarding weather conditions I'm not sure whether or not swapping Riga for Cologne will turn out to be a good choice. But If Flavio is concerned about the 2pm start, then this of course might change the equation. On the other hand - why not take the chance to sleep in on race day ?

woops! He did say Riga, didn't he? Flavio is worried about his fair Brazilian skin cooking in the Latvian October sun. I looked up Riga and the sun angle at beginning of October is only 30° but the sun in Memphis at winter solstice is 32°. Seems like a nice winter run to me.

Memphis / 38 male

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Opposite preference for me. Fortunately, out here we have neither.  I would normally add "but we get the smoke," but it seems everyone gets that now.

My aunt's family lives in Seattle near UW, Lauralhurst to be exact. She has 4 kids (most young adults now) and when they would come to Memphis for Christmas, they loved doing a polar bear plunge in our pool. My aunt said "they swim in Lake Washington so this is no big deal". They got some $$$ and when you all had that heat wave 2 years ago, they all the sudden rembered they had a trip to Australia planned... I remember visiting Seattle for work one June and the local news showed the weather report with 89° covered in flames.

Memphis / 38 male

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

200 ✅     Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Flavio - I loved the vibe in Cologne, but that was nearly 10 years ago.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

So OCD of Flavio to rebook for Cologne haha.

Actually I heard a lot of good things about Riga, have never been. But must really be worth a trip. Located just by the Sea, I doubt the temperatures could be any higher than in Cologne but you have the chance of stronger winds. So all in all I guess we will expect a PR, nothing less.

Blumenau Santa Catarina. I immediately thought this must be a Nazi refugee town. But turns out the settlement was populated prior to the Reich, and created by a tschörman gentleman called Blumenau and then Germans, Italians, Polish and Portuguese flocked in. Hence the reason why Monsignore Flavio was born there holding up the Italian flag.

Flavio - is this part of the Cologne marathon? I think that happens on October 1st. I might run it with you, not 100% yet as I was eyeing Berlin, but why not. If you are there and I am fit, I might come over for this one. Munich is also in the mix, but good to know.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Andy - FYI the race in Brazil will be in cold weather, forecast for that day is between 9-12C/49-53F and also it's a much shorter race.

This polar bear plunge sounds painful!
                    It sounds like Memphis has horrible weather, you should move 😂

Josh - Kudos for having that first run in a while. Remind me again, did you have a strong bout of covid or something else to wiped out your endurance ?
                    Also, the max I've managed to wake up in the past few years was about 8am. I remember the good times in my early 20s when I would wake up at 11am, that's far in the past now.

Re: Blumenau, they hold probably the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. It's a very nice looking town with a high standard of living, as is that whole state really, it's like the Süd Tirol in Italy when compared to other states.

Piwi - I saw a short compilation of that on 9gag, it was hilarious, though I suppose it would become boring after the first one.
                    But yeah, the dude is immensely strong and does not took that big.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Not an 80%er

So OCD of Flavio to rebook for Cologne haha.

😂

Actually I heard a lot of good things about Riga, have never been. But must really be worth a trip. Located just by the Sea, I doubt the temperatures could be any higher than in Cologne but you have the chance of stronger winds. So all in all I guess we will expect a PR, nothing less.

Riga is wonderful, I have very good memories. We wanted to go from Milano to St Petersburg and there was no direct flight, only a flight via Riga, so we added Riga to the itinerary. There's a wonderful medieval restaurant, inside it feels like you're in a game of thrones scene.

Blumenau Santa Catarina. I immediately thought this must be a Nazi refugee town. But turns out the settlement was populated prior to the Reich, and created by a tschörman gentleman called Blumenau and then Germans, Italians, Polish and Portuguese flocked in. Hence the reason why Monsignore Flavio was born there holding up the Italian flag.

I was actually born somewhere else in another state, on a city where 100% are Italian immigrants and there are a few people that have not learned Portuguese to this day, 150 years after their grand parents immigrated. The ones who do speak Portuguese do so with a heavy Italian accent (which is actually my case as well). We're like bastard children of Italy haha, we're considered foreign in Brazil due to the accent and our love for polenta, but also considered foreign in Italy, again due to the accent and lack of knowledge about the San Remo Festival 😂

Flavio - is this part of the Cologne marathon? I think that happens on October 1st. I might run it with you, not 100% yet as I was eyeing Berlin, but why not. If you are there and I am fit, I might come over for this one. Munich is also in the mix, but good to know.

Yes, it's part of the Cologne marathon. It seems flat and fast. Weather will very likely be near perfect in early October. It starts at a sane time of 9am.

If you're around we can meet, I'll even follow your instructions to lose any potential tails along the way to the meeting point 😁

200 ✅     Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Flavio - I loved the vibe in Cologne, but that was nearly 10 years ago.

Wowza Mikkey. Cologne is the LGBTQ+-* capital of Germany. Very known for it's vibrant queer scene.   I am really happy for you Mikkey!

If you read Flavio's comment regarding not losing the tail etc it gets a double meaning, especially since he explained the golden shower ritual once. Nevertheless re: meeting up - we shall definitely do that, if I come to Cologne! We will go to the Italian restaurant and drink German beer, to celebrate.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wowza Mikkey. Cologne is the LGBTQ+-* capital of Germany. Very known for it's vibrant queer scene.   I am really happy for you Mikkey!

Thank you!  So is Brighton.     And I’m going to San Francisco. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Thank you!  So is Brighton.     And I’m going to San Francisco. 

i think SF lost it's queer status. seems it's the capitol of phentanyl and public defecation now

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Josh - Kudos for having that first run in a while. Remind me again, did you have a strong bout of covid or something else to wiped out your endurance ?

Yup. Covid-19. No hospitalization / intensive care needed, but Long / Post Covid syndrome nonetheless. Brain fog, hard to concentrate on things or tasks, elevated RHR, and a very volatile HR.

Also, the max I've managed to wake up in the past few years was about 8am. I remember the good times in my early 20s when I would wake up at 11am, that's far in the past now.

Why is it that you never mentioned you've got kids ?

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

flavio80

Not an 80%er

If you read Flavio's comment regarding not losing the tail etc it gets a double meaning, especially since he explained the golden shower ritual once. 

😂, not me, the president of Brazil asked what it was on Twitter. He probably stole a few billions the day before, then asked this to create a smokescreen.

Josh - Ugh, that sucks and thanks for refreshing my memory. You probably had already explained it, but you know, I'm approaching senility and my memory is not the best one these days.

Also LOL, yeah one of the reasons I never had kids was (cause I'm selfish) cause I'm like my sleeping routine.