Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is the Jeep RP is going to upgrade to when he finally totals his current one.

Mine is going to have the full cab since "weather" exists where I live. No one likes getting rained on.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just because people regurgitate this hogwash rubbish doesn't make it true. I guess Taylor Swift is the most influential musician of the 21st century. I'd never known way "taylorgating" was until recently.

The Beastie Boys were more influential than the Beatles. The difference is Boomers don't like the way young kids dress unless it's a suit and tie. They also consider the 20th century to start around the time Elvis was popular, and end shortly after they landed their career job.

My wife is a big Beatles fan so I’m familiar with all their stuff. I respect them as they’re unique, but none of their songs would ever make it onto my iPod playlist. 

I’m too young to be a boomer ….but the Sex Pistols were my WOW band when a teenager and they didn’t wear suits. 

My favourite non rock solo artist is Leonard Cohen and saw him live a couple of time and he was absolutely amazing!  Favourite album “I’m your Man”….give it a listen and you’ll not be disappointed. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

The Monkees are more unique.

https://www.vh1.com/news/59k878/beatles-songs-that-influenced-heavy-metal

Although their Christmastime single borrows heavily from Bobby Parker's "Watch Your Step," the real innovation comes from the raw electronic squeal of the intro. One day when John Lennon leaned his Gibson semi-electric against the studio wall, the A string suddenly began to feedback through his amp, emitting an ear-splitting shriek. The band were intrigued by the noise, and persuaded producer George Martin to edit it on the front of the song—giving feedback its first appearance on a major pop recording. John was always proud of this fact, boasting about it in later years:  "I defy anybody to find a record... unless it is some old blues record from 1922...That uses feedback that way. So I claim it for the Beatles. Before Hendrix, before The Who, before anybody. The first feedback on record."

"I Feel Fine," predates the Who's sonic studio experiments by nearly a year. And from the Who, it's a quick jump to the overdrive howls that dominate metal records.

Pretty easy to be the first at something and claim it when you eliminate literally everything before you. 

"Revolution," B-side version (1968)

The song's politically charged lyrics transformed it become a rallying cry, inspiring a generation to civic action. Moreover, "Revolution" helped give other bands the confidence to comment on cultural events—previously the exclusive preserve of folky protest songs. Plus, the truly nasty guitar intro undoubtedly inspired a generation of garage bands to invest in a distortion pedal.

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/story-behind-how-guitar-distortion-was-born/

So this song from 1968 inspired a generation to buy a distortion pedal. NOT the song released FOUR YEARS EARLIER by The Kinks

"Helter Skelter," from The White Album (1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rC3l3niTaE

After reading an article describing the Who's then-recent 1967 song "I Can See For Miles" as "the raunchiest, loudest, most ridiculous rock 'n' roll record you've ever heard," Paul McCartney's competitive spirit moved him to create an even nastier track. "I said to the guys, 'I think we should do a song like that; something really wild,'" he remembered during the Beatles Anthology. "And I wrote Helter Skelter."

The End....yeah a guitar battle never existed before the Beatles made you take turns. Before 1969 Guitar players just played on top of each other to show how amazing they were. 

Yeah...the Beatles were TOTALLY influential. Just eliminate all other influences before them, and anyone who did something similar to them is obviously influenced BY them with how big the Beatles were made. Oh and ignore their plagiarism of other's work. It's totally different. Didn't the Beatles create the 4 man band? I'm pretty sure Blink 182 was influenced to form their band by the Beatles. Also Slayer, and the lesser known band known as Slipknot. 

It's annoying to continually hear how amazing the Beatles are by people who refuse to actually have a conversation about it. Sure they're iconic. They are the Taylor Swift, Metallica, and Elvis of the 1960s. Maybe the Billy Idol since they grew their hair long and probably went against the grain for a few folks too. They just didn't contribute as much to music as people give them credit for. Sorry it stung hard when John died after marrying Yoko. At least Paul was able to buy back the rights to his song when Michael Jackson had to sell them. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

The Monkees are more unique.

https://www.vh1.com/news/59k878/beatles-songs-that-influenced-heavy-metal

Although their Christmastime single borrows heavily from Bobby Parker's "Watch Your Step," the real innovation comes from the raw electronic squeal of the intro. One day when John Lennon leaned his Gibson semi-electric against the studio wall, the A string suddenly began to feedback through his amp, emitting an ear-splitting shriek. The band were intrigued by the noise, and persuaded producer George Martin to edit it on the front of the song—giving feedback its first appearance on a major pop recording. John was always proud of this fact, boasting about it in later years:  "I defy anybody to find a record... unless it is some old blues record from 1922...That uses feedback that way. So I claim it for the Beatles. Before Hendrix, before The Who, before anybody. The first feedback on record."

"I Feel Fine," predates the Who's sonic studio experiments by nearly a year. And from the Who, it's a quick jump to the overdrive howls that dominate metal records.

Pretty easy to be the first at something and claim it when you eliminate literally everything before you. 

"Revolution," B-side version (1968)

The song's politically charged lyrics transformed it become a rallying cry, inspiring a generation to civic action. Moreover, "Revolution" helped give other bands the confidence to comment on cultural events—previously the exclusive preserve of folky protest songs. Plus, the truly nasty guitar intro undoubtedly inspired a generation of garage bands to invest in a distortion pedal.

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/story-behind-how-guitar-distortion-was-born/

So this song from 1968 inspired a generation to buy a distortion pedal. NOT the song released FOUR YEARS EARLIER by The Kinks

"Helter Skelter," from The White Album (1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rC3l3niTaE

After reading an article describing the Who's then-recent 1967 song "I Can See For Miles" as "the raunchiest, loudest, most ridiculous rock 'n' roll record you've ever heard," Paul McCartney's competitive spirit moved him to create an even nastier track. "I said to the guys, 'I think we should do a song like that; something really wild,'" he remembered during the Beatles Anthology. "And I wrote Helter Skelter."

The End....yeah a guitar battle never existed before the Beatles made you take turns. Before 1969 Guitar players just played on top of each other to show how amazing they were. 

Yeah...the Beatles were TOTALLY influential. Just eliminate all other influences before them, and anyone who did something similar to them is obviously influenced BY them with how big the Beatles were made. Oh and ignore their plagiarism of other's work. It's totally different. Didn't the Beatles create the 4 man band? I'm pretty sure Blink 182 was influenced to form their band by the Beatles. Also Slayer, and the lesser known band known as Slipknot. 

It's annoying to continually hear how amazing the Beatles are by people who refuse to actually have a conversation about it. Sure they're iconic. They are the Taylor Swift, Metallica, and Elvis of the 1960s. Maybe the Billy Idol since they grew their hair long and probably went against the grain for a few folks too. They just didn't contribute as much to music as people give them credit for. Sorry it stung hard when John died after marrying Yoko. At least Paul was able to buy back the rights to his song when Michael Jackson had to sell them. 

You're kinda missing the point here RP.  I didn't say they were highly innovative, I said they were highly influential.  Big difference there.  Innovation is about what you come up with.  Influence is about how it affects others.  I mean, they were certainly innovative but there was clearly a lot of cross-influencing that happened amongst the various bands at the time, a lot like you see in the 1980's with thrash metal, or the 1990's with grunge.  Those are also good counterpoints - Metallica were probably the most influential of the 1980's thrash metal bands, but it's pretty dubious whether they were the most innovative or not (certainly not from 1990 onwards).  Nirvana were the most influential of the 90's grunge bands, but Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were doing way more innovative and interesting stuff (but does the average punter care that Limo Wreck is in 15/8 time? No, of course they don't).

Influence tends to be a function of reach and innovation.  There were bands that were more innovative than the Beatles, for sure.  However, other than possibly the Stones, no other band at the time even comes remotely close in terms of the combined level of mass appeal and innovation.  And you can draw a line from there to a huge amount of the music that followed over subsequent decades.

I mean if we're talking actual straight up who had the greatest level of direct influence on other musicians and bands, there's a reasonable argument it's actually going to be someone like Howlin' Wolf.  Because the vast majority of modern music, in some shape or form, traces back to the blues.

And as much as I like the Beastie Boys, claiming they are more influential than the Beatles is just plain dumb.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thin Lizzy. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - Ugh, hopefully it's not a muscle tear, hopefully it's a temporary issue with nerve endings.

Mikkey - I've just given a listen to Thin Lizzy, I must say it's quite good, thanks for the rec!

Bands - Interesting discussion about bands, I understand some of the words you're saying 😂

All I can say about that is the following:

Erst wenn die Wolken schlafen gehen,
              Kann man uns am Himmel sehen.
              Wir haben Angst und sind allein.
              Gott weiß, ich will kein Engel sein.

new shoes - I've recently gotten 3 new pairs of shoes cause I panicked I'd run out of shoes.

Anyway, the Altra Escalante Racers are just perfect, the best shoes ever from Altra. So it's nice to be running again in them.

Just a bouncy responsive rubber, no springs.

The Altra Escalante 3s I haven't even run in them, but I have another pair that I was using for workouts, I know they have a very good sole, and over time the area on top of the toes gives in a bit and is not so snug.

The Altra Torin 7 wide was a disappointment on the very first run. It's so unstable and it seems to have some sort of spring going on somewhere on the forefoot area. I was hoping to wear it for long runs, but now I'm not so sure. I'll probably try it again for shorter runs of around one hour and hope that the sole somehow compacts a bit.

That said, at least it's wide enough for my feet and as wide as the original Altras, before they got bought and started producing rocket shape shoes.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal - Ugh, hopefully it's not a muscle tear, hopefully it's a temporary issue with nerve endings.

Mikkey - I've just given a listen to Thin Lizzy, I must say it's quite good, thanks for the rec!

Bands - Interesting discussion about bands, I understand some of the words you're saying 😂

All I can say about that is the following:

Erst wenn die Wolken schlafen gehen,
                Kann man uns am Himmel sehen.
                Wir haben Angst und sind allein.
                Gott weiß, ich will kein Engel sein.

new shoes - I've recently gotten 3 new pairs of shoes cause I panicked I'd run out of shoes.

Anyway, the Altra Escalante Racers are just perfect, the best shoes ever from Altra. So it's nice to be running again in them.

Just a bouncy responsive rubber, no springs.

The Altra Escalante 3s I haven't even run in them, but I have another pair that I was using for workouts, I know they have a very good sole, and over time the area on top of the toes gives in a bit and is not so snug.

The Altra Torin 7 wide was a disappointment on the very first run. It's so unstable and it seems to have some sort of spring going on somewhere on the forefoot area. I was hoping to wear it for long runs, but now I'm not so sure. I'll probably try it again for shorter runs of around one hour and hope that the sole somehow compacts a bit.

That said, at least it's wide enough for my feet and as wide as the original Altras, before they got bought and started producing rocket shape shoes.

Check out the Dedication track from Thin Lizzy as that is in my top 10 tracks of all time and Scott Gorham is a guitar legend!  Your favourite rock band is from Germany iirc?

new shoes - just bought another pair of Nike Zoom X Invincible shoes as they are perfect for easy/recovery runs with amazing cushioning and perfect for older folk like me with ongoing achilles issues!  But I don’t think the purists would approve as they look massive. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You're kinda missing the point here RP.  I didn't say they were highly innovative, I said they were highly influential.  Big difference there.  Innovation is about what you come up with.  Influence is about how it affects others.  I mean, they were certainly innovative but there was clearly a lot of cross-influencing that happened amongst the various bands at the time, a lot like you see in the 1980's with thrash metal, or the 1990's with grunge.  Those are also good counterpoints - Metallica were probably the most influential of the 1980's thrash metal bands, but it's pretty dubious whether they were the most innovative or not (certainly not from 1990 onwards).  Nirvana were the most influential of the 90's grunge bands, but Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were doing way more innovative and interesting stuff (but does the average punter care that Limo Wreck is in 15/8 time? No, of course they don't).

Influence tends to be a function of reach and innovation.  There were bands that were more innovative than the Beatles, for sure.  However, other than possibly the Stones, no other band at the time even comes remotely close in terms of the combined level of mass appeal and innovation.  And you can draw a line from there to a huge amount of the music that followed over subsequent decades.

I mean if we're talking actual straight up who had the greatest level of direct influence on other musicians and bands, there's a reasonable argument it's actually going to be someone like Howlin' Wolf.  Because the vast majority of modern music, in some shape or form, traces back to the blues.

And as much as I like the Beastie Boys, claiming they are more influential than the Beatles is just plain dumb.

You were actually sort of claiming they were the most influential. They weren't and they need to stop being given credit for it. They didn't "come up" with anything. Their fans just ignore literally any other influence existing before the Beatles, and everything AFTER the Beatles is credited TO the Beatles.

Now we go into "well it is actually the combination of their success and the influence" which changes the entire conversation. Give credit to the Beatles for everything, and then ignore their success being due to LARGE SUMS OF MONEY BEING PAID.

Typical Beatles fan. Any discussion about the Beatles is not allowed unless we kiss the ring and bend the Knee to Sir Paul. Don't dare say anyone is more influential than The Beatles. Not even Michael Jackson was AS influential as the Beatles. Just...influential.

the Beatles didn't contribute anything great to music. Their music remains in rotation because the royalties make rich people richer, not because it is actually good music.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

4 runs in 5 days plus weight lifting the day I was not running!!! I hope I am back to it! I want to be fit again! Garmin shows 56 as my VO2 Max which is obviously is a bullshit, but it is down from 58 back from last year - that means fitness is gone - I need it back, I am not that old yet! 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

You were actually sort of claiming they were the most influential. They weren't and they need to stop being given credit for it. They didn't "come up" with anything. Their fans just ignore literally any other influence existing before the Beatles, and everything AFTER the Beatles is credited TO the Beatles.

Now we go into "well it is actually the combination of their success and the influence" which changes the entire conversation. Give credit to the Beatles for everything, and then ignore their success being due to LARGE SUMS OF MONEY BEING PAID.

Typical Beatles fan. Any discussion about the Beatles is not allowed unless we kiss the ring and bend the Knee to Sir Paul. Don't dare say anyone is more influential than The Beatles. Not even Michael Jackson was AS influential as the Beatles. Just...influential.

the Beatles didn't contribute anything great to music. Their music remains in rotation because the royalties make rich people richer, not because it is actually good music.

Honestly I wouldn't say I'm a big Beatles fan. I listen to the odd song, but it's very rare for me to listen to an entire album like I do with most bands.  But I also think you've missed the point I was making which is that being influential is not always the same thing as being innovative.  And saying "the Beatles didn't contribute anything great to music" is just plain wrong.  The list (and variety) of artists that have covered them alone will tell you that (ironically it includes Michael Jackson).  "Yesterday" is the most covered song in history.  The reason many of the songs still get played is because they are good songs.  If that is not a reflection of influence, I do not know what is.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

4 runs in 5 days plus weight lifting the day I was not running!!! I hope I am back to it! I want to be fit again! Garmin shows 56 as my VO2 Max which is obviously is a bullshit, but it is down from 58 back from last year - that means fitness is gone - I need it back, I am not that old yet! 

Love the attitude. Happy to hear it.

Andy I'm not aware of a pill form for electrolytes. There are tablets they sell in running stores, but I don't think that's what you're after. I prefer LMNT myself. And JMac that's interesting they made you thirsty. Did you dissolve them in at least 16oz of water? I actually find it more thirst quenching than just plain water. But people are different.

Interesting discussion on music here. The Beatles were very poppy and catchy. I like some of their songs. Others are just ok. I can see the argument for them not being as innovative as they get credit for, but influential ? Seems to me they were pretty influential like it or not. Mikkey I'm not as familiar with Thin Lizzy, I'll have to check them out. So long as we are throwing names around, I think when it comes to being both influential AND innovative, Pink Floyd takes the cake as far as classic rock goes. Also here's something I like to say to stir the pot... Rush was better than Zeppelin . Better, more consistent live performances, and more creativity in my opinion. Both were amazing though.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Honestly I wouldn't say I'm a big Beatles fan. I listen to the odd song, but it's very rare for me to listen to an entire album like I do with most bands.  But I also think you've missed the point I was making which is that being influential is not always the same thing as being innovative.  And saying "the Beatles didn't contribute anything great to music" is just plain wrong.  The list (and variety) of artists that have covered them alone will tell you that (ironically it includes Michael Jackson).  "Yesterday" is the most covered song in history.  The reason many of the songs still get played is because they are good songs.  If that is not a reflection of influence, I do not know what is.

What is so great and influential about Yesterday? It is popular, and being popular doesn't make you influential.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

On the Shit Scale is Bull above or below Horse? I thought it was above, and since it isn't linked on the front page I can't look it up. Maybe the Thread Dictator will come along and clear this up.

It's been great seeing you do runs. I wish it inspired me enough to get off my fat lazy ass at work. I keep looking up things and wanting some type of motivation, but I can't find it. CIM is something like 18 weeks out and USUALLY I'd be getting excited, and maybe trying for some type of extra early marathon cycle. I can't figure out where it is and it truly feels like I've hit the point of "yeah, I really did accomplish everything I wanted." As if the high from Boston has gone and I'm happy to put my hat on it and walk into the moonlight not to be seen again.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thin Lizzy. ❤️

Metallica does a really good cover of one of their songs. I think it is "the boys are back in town."

VDOT 53.37 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Here are some options I have found, which the SaltStick is what JMac suggested. They both are swallowed in pill form with a sip of water. No extra sugar and are more versatile to take on a run. I like to squirt water on myself from my hydration bladder while running so I can't put something that dissolves into a drink in it. They all have different combinations so it is kind of hard to decide which one would be best. I kind of like the idea of the SaltSticks with the caffeine added to help me drink less soft drinks since I'm not a coffee drinker.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10