Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

DavePNW

Metallica does a really good cover of one of their songs. I think it is "the boys are back in town."

Pretty sure that's the only Thin Lizzy song anyone would cover, or have heard of.

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, and have often called them overrated, but all of RP's comments actually make me want to defend them.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Metallica does a really good cover of one of their songs. I think it is "the boys are back in town."

Whiskey in the Jar. I knew that as a Metallica song for years then discovered Thin Lizzy. Kings of Leon are my favourite modern band and were hugely influenced by Thin Lizzy - they’ve even got a cracker of a song called Molly’s Chambers named after a lyric in Whiskey in the jar

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Andy - they look good. I’ll definitely be investigating all ambulance at the bottom of a cliff options to deal with cramp in the next 9 months

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It's been great seeing you do runs. I wish it inspired me enough to get off my fat lazy ass at work. I keep looking up things and wanting some type of motivation, but I can't find it. CIM is something like 18 weeks out and USUALLY I'd be getting excited, and maybe trying for some type of extra early marathon cycle. I can't figure out where it is and it truly feels like I've hit the point of "yeah, I really did accomplish everything I wanted." As if the high from Boston has gone and I'm happy to put my hat on it and walk into the moonlight not to be seen again.

I get what you’re saying and think maybe it’s a more common feeling with folk who take up running at a later age and it hasn’t dominated their life. I started running at 42yo and for 10 years it was my passion. But even in 2019 when I ran my 5k and marathon PR I just didn’t have that same enthusiasm and think CIM will probably be my last marathon.  At least it’s an easy downhill course. 😎

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Pretty sure that's the only Thin Lizzy song anyone would cover, or have heard of.

Jailbreak is probably the next most well known and has been covered from time to time. Emerald as well actually. I don’t listen to a heap of their stuff but Live and Dangerous has most of their better songs and is one of the better live albums from that era of music.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

What is so great and influential about Yesterday? It is popular, and being popular doesn't make you influential.

Artists tend to cover songs by artists that influenced them. If Yesterday has been covered that many times, it’s a reasonable sign that it’s influenced a lot of other artists.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Jailbreak is probably the next most well known and has been covered from time to time. Emerald as well actually. I don’t listen to a heap of their stuff but Live and Dangerous has most of their better songs and is one of the better live albums from that era of music.

Oh true, I do know Jailbreak. BITD, acts were necessarily as global as now; they never made much of a splash in the US - The Boys are Back was the only song that hit any kind of decent chart position. Live and Dangerous album: UK #2 (double-platinum), IRL #2, AUS #20, US #84. Whiskey in the Jar was mentioned - their version was #1 in Ireland, #6 in UK, and did not chart in the US. I guess Metallica made it pretty big, but I've never had any interest in heavy metal.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'd go with Roctane personally. I already drink way too much caffeine and it doesn't change how much soda (read sugar free rockstars in the 16-24 ounce variety) I drink. What are you taking salt for though? I thought we were discussing how influential the Beatles were.

I've never taken salt supplements. Typically, for ultras, I just find an electrolyte drink mix and go with it. Last race was Skratch, and the race offered something different with a LOT more salt. I can look it up if you want.

Here are some options I have found, which the SaltStick is what JMac suggested. They both are swallowed in pill form with a sip of water. No extra sugar and are more versatile to take on a run. I like to squirt water on myself from my hydration bladder while running so I can't put something that dissolves into a drink in it. They all have different combinations so it is kind of hard to decide which one would be best. I kind of like the idea of the SaltSticks with the caffeine added to help me drink less soft drinks since I'm not a coffee drinker.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Artists tend to cover songs by artists that influenced them. If Yesterday has been covered that many times, it’s a reasonable sign that it’s influenced a lot of other artists.

They also cover popular songs because who wants to listen to a cover of a song you've never heard? Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is influential. You still didn't tell me what is so influential or great about the song. "yay it's a popular song." so is Friday by Rebecca Black and I don't see Taylor Swift covering it any time soon. Five Finger Death Punch covered Zombie, and I wouldn't say it was influential. I really like the song, but I wouldn't call it influential. Metallica covered So What by The Anti-Nowhere League. Doesn't make it influential OR popular.

DavePNW yes...let the hate flow!!!!

Mikkey I'm approaching the 10 year mark. I think.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

After being absent all week (work plus non-work obligations) I'm going to randomly jump into this conversation to advocate for Kraftwerk as the most influential artist ever.

If you ever have a chance to see them, do it.  Even if you don't know any of their tracks, you'll be amazed at how familiar it sounds, simply because they've been so influential and so echoes of them are everywhere.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mmerkle

They also cover popular songs because who wants to listen to a cover of a song you've never heard?

That's true most of the time but here is a counterexample: Nirvana's "Lake of Fire" is actually a cover. It was originally written by some random ass band called The Meat Puppets. I'm fairly certain I still haven't bothered to listen to their version.

dw I take it Kraftwerk ocasionally comes around The DC / Baltimore area?

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Kraftwerk as the most influential artist ever.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

They also cover popular songs because who wants to listen to a cover of a song you've never heard? Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is influential. You still didn't tell me what is so influential or great about the song. "yay it's a popular song." so is Friday by Rebecca Black and I don't see Taylor Swift covering it any time soon. Five Finger Death Punch covered Zombie, and I wouldn't say it was influential. I really like the song, but I wouldn't call it influential. Metallica covered So What by The Anti-Nowhere League. Doesn't make it influential OR popular.

LOTS of covers are songs no one’s heard of—you can make a huge list of songs that people associate with an artist that made it popular, but it was actually a cover. And I think you are disproving your own point? Yesterday = popular, covered hundreds of times = influential. Friday = popular, covered zero times = not influential. One-time covers don’t really signify any kind of trend. Artists often cover songs that influenced them or are in some way meaningful to them. If something was covered so many times, maybe some were just doing it out of popularity, but it was surely meaningful/influential to a lot of artists.

It’s been said the Velvet Underground were the most influential band; their first record only sold 5000 copies, but everyone who bought it was inspired to start a band. (Don’t fact-check this, I just like the line.)

Dave

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Whiskey in the Jar. I knew that as a Metallica song for years then discovered Thin Lizzy. Kings of Leon are my favourite modern band and were hugely influenced by Thin Lizzy - they’ve even got a cracker of a song called Molly’s Chambers named after a lyric in Whiskey in the jar

Except that Whiskey in the jar is an Irish folk song: https://youtu.be/hlWTASnnft4 🙂

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

This is the Jeep RP is going to upgrade to when he finally totals his current one.

Thanks for reminding me - I totally forgot about that. Residual brain fog / Post COVID I guess.

Thanks to everyone who congratulated on my progress. Except for concentration issues and the occasional brain fog my body finally seems to be coming around again. I'm jogging every other day right now, about 45sec/k slower than previously, HR up near LT,  but already farther than I expected. And it does wonders for my sanity. Now I only someone to solve the mystery of my aching foot (Flavio, I think I'll post something about that later on).

Anyway, I guess I'll have to officially introduce myself If I'm delurking more and more often. Short version: M57, married, three boys between seven and thirteen (yup, later bloomer 😜). The whole family is into music and track and field, mostly running. The oldest is the fastest family member (800m in 2:24;xy), I hope to be the one with the best endurance again. I'm not yet ready to give up the leader board over the longer distances.

Steve - I think you're ready to sub40 If you're ready to go sub 18:30 in a 5K. When I was as young as you're feeling these days I ran 18:22 / 38:14. Even considering the U-turns a similar performance would give you plenty of room to go sub 39:30 with an off chance of 38:59.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026