Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well that first guy died at the end, so all that other stuff has gained us something.

He did like four in a row if you want to be fair and point out why he died. Lack of proper nutrition, and no pacing plan were the ultimate death sentence.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

Cal any run in 96oF is super impressive in my book! I agree with you're philosophy about adding in the weight training but I still can't find the discipline YET....I keep saying "when I stop running so much I'll got to the gym" but I'd rather do a 3 hour LR than hit the gym so I'm still running.  It will happen,

Keen- Back to the 100 mile weeks!

Mark- Groundhog is good I think I've found a sweet spot at around 70.  I may push it to the 80s at some but I'll leave to 100 mile weeks to Keen, RP and the younger folks.....

RP- I'm trying to get more engaged on Strava but I keep getting distracted by running  BTW are you running a fall race?  I recall a discussion about CIM potential but don't remember if you nailed one down yet.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

Running with a spear and shield does look kinda badass though.  I bet he got great race pics.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP- I'm trying to get more engaged on Strava but I keep getting distracted by running  BTW are you running a fall race?  I recall a discussion about CIM potential but don't remember if you nailed one down yet.

Have you considered going fishing instead of running? I hear the snacks are much better.

as for races I have nothing scheduled, but I’m looking for something back East in case there is one slightly less downhill than the one I did in April. I’ve done a lot of downhill marathons. 

if you’re at 70 mile weeks you could make a jump to 80 by finding time to run a few doubles, but you’d have to actually plan them since running them after a long run might bring the suck. Seriously, it’s not that bad except for the 14 hours of running time plus another few hours of luandry and getting changed. It does make the running clothes drawer close easier.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It felt amazing and I’m still in disbelief. The best I ever imagined was something in the 1:30s; sub-1:30 was never in my head much less 1:29. Marathon PR? Hell yeah! Have not yet registered but current plan is a race on 9/16, 7 weeks from now...conveniently on the same downhill course! McMillan coverts this half time to 3:07—lolol. My PR is Chicago last year at 3:17:48 (which was a PR by 4.5 min). My spring goal was to better that to sub-3:15, but that race didn’t happen, so that was going to be my fall goal. Now...maybe 3:12? IDK, we’ll see.

Great to see you excited about your race!  But if you were to run a flat marathon course like Chicago, then plugging in that half time is irrelevant as they aren’t equal. 🤷‍♂️   If you’re looking to run a big marathon PR next year then do their marathon next time (2000ft downhill) and it’s meant to be 4min faster than CIM for a 3 hour marathoner! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

Equivalent times, per FindMyMarathon.com:

Chicago 3:17:48

CIM 3:16:52

Cascade Express 3:13:04 (2000 ft downhill)

So I guess maybe 3:12ish could be a good target after all. Weather will be a big factor though - on 9/16 it could be a warm day. Anyway I guess I have 7 weeks for my quads to stop hurting, before I destroy them again. 

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do some deep knee squats.

So I guess maybe 3:12ish could be a good target after all. Weather will be a big factor though - on 9/16 it could be a warm day. Anyway I guess I have 7 weeks for my quads to stop hurting, before I destroy them again. 

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CIM is that much faster than Chicago??? Maybe I do want to go back to Sacramento more than I thought.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Chicago: 3:37

California: a few seconds slower than you.

Boston: 

Today I learned: 47,660 people finished the New York Marathon according to the official results. I thought BOSTON was a big race. SHEESH!

Is there any way to find out what celebrities will be running, and what their targeted pace is? I'd really like to get up close on Ryan Reynolds. Also Shalane Flanagan since I missed my chance to meet/see her at Chicago when she was handing out medals. A few of the faster celebrities might be more enjoyable to run with in case Oz Oeralman or Ana Cabrera come back.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Chicago: 3:37

California: a few seconds slower than you.

Boston: 

Just keep smiling until I drop you going up Verrazano Bridge on my way to posting a 2:52 next year...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just keep smiling until I drop you going up Verrazano Bridge on my way to posting a 2:52 next year...

You talk a big game for someone who doesn’t even have a qualifier yet. Also, the joke isn’t insulting when I don’t understand it.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Love it.

I ran in a freezing cold, sleety Hagley Park last night and it's looking like it's drained well so I shouldn't have any issues on Saturday except maybe ice, but the forecast is for about 1C which shouldn't be too icy.  I've got a long warm up planned, I'll have my partner there to take my jacket 10 seconds before the start (last time I stood in -2C for 12 minutes) and one Andy Good (my coach) is going to pace me as part of his workout.  He assures me 3:42/km is not his easy pace...but I know for a fact it's 25 seconds per km slower than his marathon pace.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Pain is my friend

Salt is salt. I get the cheapest thing I can find on Amazon. You don't need any of the fillers they put in. The key is to take the salt pills and right dose for the temperature. I will take up to 3 pills a hour on days hotter than 90 degrees.

Here are some options I have found, which the SaltStick is what JMac suggested. They both are swallowed in pill form with a sip of water. No extra sugar and are more versatile to take on a run. I like to squirt water on myself from my hydration bladder while running so I can't put something that dissolves into a drink in it. They all have different combinations so it is kind of hard to decide which one would be best. I kind of like the idea of the SaltSticks with the caffeine added to help me drink less soft drinks since I'm not a coffee drinker.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

mmerkle

Dave Excellent job with that PR. Interesting that your quads hurt after. Maybe the downhill had something to do with it? A 3:12 or under in 7 weeks sounds reasonable to me.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Dave Excellent job with that PR. Interesting that your quads hurt after. Maybe the downhill had something to do with it? A 3:12 or under in 7 weeks sounds reasonable to me.

I think you could be onto something there and maybe this needs investigating further. 🧐

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)