Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

DavePNW

dw/Commander Now it looks like on and off rain is a possibility, and high humidity obviously. The good news is there will probably be cloud cover the whole time, and the wind doesn't look too bad. I'm actually contemplating the idea of running shirtless if I'm allowed to put my bib on my shorts. Has anyone tried this? I feel like a wet tank will just weigh me down if it's going to rain.

No but I never run shirtless, I just feel weird about it. If you’re comfortable with it, sounds like a good idea to me. I’ve seen plenty of people do it, and lots of people put their bibs on their shorts, e.g. women in sports bras. Shirtless eliminates some chafing concerns too. I bet the rain will feel pretty welcome, assuming it’s not a downpour.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy There's already good advice on the taper. I'll just add by saying that my routine for A races is often to take the day off 2 days before, and do an easy run with strides the day before. I think tapering is one of those things that takes trial and error to figure out what works best for you. Some do longer, more gradual tapers of a week or so, and some do "sharp" tapers where the mileage comes way down for 2-3 days leading up to the race.

dw/Commander Now it looks like on and off rain is a possibility, and high humidity obviously. The good news is there will probably be cloud cover the whole time, and the wind doesn't look too bad. I'm actually contemplating the idea of running shirtless if I'm allowed to put my bib on my shorts. Has anyone tried this? I feel like a wet tank will just weigh me down if it's going to rain.

I actually haven't raced a 10k in 2 years so I am actually in between serious tapers for Half and Full or for a 5k which is basically just no hard running the day before. I do what you are mentioning of no running 2 days before, mostly just to limit myself, and an easy run the day before with some short strides.

I can't stand running with my shirt off, mostly because I end up with chafing under my arms but that would be the same in a tank anyway. Many guys around my area run shirtless during summer races, some guys who should only be shirtless at the beach.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Marky_Mark_17

No but I never run shirtless, I just feel weird about it. If you’re comfortable with it, sounds like a good idea to me. I’ve seen plenty of people do it, and lots of people put their bibs on their shorts, e.g. women in sports bras. Shirtless eliminates some chafing concerns too. I bet the rain will feel pretty welcome, assuming it’s not a downpour.

I'll run shirtless here in summer if it's really hot or humid. I don't do it in races though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

Andy There's already good advice on the taper. I'll just add by saying that my routine for A races is often to take the day off 2 days before, and do an easy run with strides the day before. I think tapering is one of those things that takes trial and error to figure out what works best for you. Some do longer, more gradual tapers of a week or so, and some do "sharp" tapers where the mileage comes way down for 2-3 days leading up to the race.

chiming in to say ditto Mmerkle, Andy. 

Also, coming from south Florida, I can attest to the fact that it's totally fine to put the bib on the shorts. There are as many people wearing shirts as not in our races. As long as your timing chip crosses that finish line, you're fine. The wind may make it flap up (if you only use two pins) and you may not get your photos sorted, but that's not really your priority, I'd say. I will add that a quick dry tank would be my preference, just because 26.2 miles is a long time to be exposed and it shouldn't gain too much weight in rain and/or sweat.

Also, don't forget the anti-chafing cream/stick like body glide. Under the arms, but also, just like, everywhere.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: May 27, Memorial Day 5K, 20:40.6. PR in not ideal conditions! A great way to start the summer.  

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just dropping in to wish mmerkle a great race. I learned I chafed bad in a rainy race. Going shirtless would mean buying a bin holder if I was you. I’ve seen plenty of guys do it in races. As dk said, apply glide/Lube/squirrel nut butter on your lats where your triceps can rub them raw.

I didn’t run for the last two weeks in case anyone was looking for me on Strava (doubtful with all the excitement here about training) and I just started this week. Post-Boston running has been weird.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

shouldbedeleted

MMerkle - Have a great race!

Andy - Pretty much the same taper you would have for a marathon, a half, or a 5k, or even a 1500m race.
              The purpose of taper is to arrive with the perfect level of muscle tension and rest on race day.
              If you taper too little you will arrive flat and not be able to perform at your best cause you're too tired.
              If you taper too much you will lose a bit of muscle tension which will haunt you especially towards the end of the race.
              Usually you will have lower training volume on the week of the race, and the week prior to that.
              And usually you will do your last full/strong workout 8 to 10 days before the race.
              Week of the race besides a slightly lower volume, you will likely have a shorter workout on Wed/Thu.
              Like if you usually do 12x400 you could do 5x400.
              Or if your last hard workout was 10 miles at marathon pace, maybe you will do 2 x 2 miles at marathon pace.
              The main thing is to arrive fully rested and bouncy on race day.
              The day before the race as you walk around you will feel a very hard itch to leap and run, if you feel that, then you're definitely tapered correctly.
              Also week of the race you will have the temptation to run your easy runs faster than usual. Resist that temptation.
              These are the signs of a good taper.
              I say all that cause you mentioned that 10k is your A race.
              Do note the vast majority of people in this board do not care much about the 10k distance and just train through them, using them as hard workouts.
              That is good to keep momentum while training for something else, but I don't think that's optimal for a 10k race.

Keen - HUGE numbers!

Mikkey - No wonder you're so fast. If you ever did MMA you'd have to fight as an Atomweight (48kg)

Yall - I didn't know it, but there's a TV series about the Ingegrigtsens, you can watch it on Youtube (Team Ingebrigtsen Full Series (English Subtitles) - YouTube). I know JoshWolf will enjoy seeing as Jakob is his favorite runner 😂

me - I'm very tired. Is there ever a time when training for a marathon when you're not so wrecked ? I'm eating mostly clean, lots of protein, 9 hours of sleep every night, taking my Vitamin D every day. Granted the last couple of weeks have been even harder due to all the traveling, jet lag etc.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m thinking of running topless at CIM if I can get a 6 pack by December.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m thinking of running topless at CIM if I can get a 6 pack by December.

You can buy many of them in Sacramento. I suggest Coors Light, however other more "craft" options are available...except for maybe Anchor Steam.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I say all that cause you mentioned that 10k is your A race.
                    Do note the vast majority of people in this board do not care much about the 10k distance and just train through them, using them as hard workouts. 

I actually enjoy racing the 10k and that distance along with the Half are my favorites. The 5k is actually my best distance per the calculators but it is too short. My 10k PR came in a training run in February and since I haven't raced the distance in 2 years, this one has become an A race for me. I did 5 miles yesterday with several short bursts of speed built in and today I decided to sleep in so that will be my skip day. Tomorrow and Saturday will probably be just 3-4 mile easy runs with a few strides built in.

Dave - for my race day warm-up, besides doing dynamic drills with some stretching, I normally just run easy until I work up a good poop. Usually 1 mile does the trick but I sometimes need 2-2.5.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mmerkle

RP You're back! I was wondering where you've been. Thanks for the good race day wishes, and thanks to everyone else as well. I will certainly be using lots of body glide as always. (As I mentioned on Strava) I'm in a weird head space as of now, so I'm hoping that changes nearing race time. I just don't feel too enthused. I have some non-running things on my mind as well.

I hear the beer selection in much of California is garbage. It's a state full of wine snobs. That's just what I've heard, I'm sure that doesn't apply to the whole State... or does it lol.

Commander That August mileage is ridiculous and amazing lol. I'm getting very excited to see how this 100 goes.

Flavio The traveling could have something to do with it for sure. How has the weather been in your area? Have you had any down weeks lately? I'm not sure it's ideal to feel wrecked all of the time when training for a marathon (or for anything). There are spans of 2-3 days where I feel pretty beat, but then I bounce back. If it's ongoing, you might need a few down days or a down week? I'm curious what others have to say though. I'm still learning about marathon racing and training.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I hear the beer selection in much of California is garbage. It's a state full of wine snobs. That's just what I've heard, I'm sure that doesn't apply to the whole State... or does it lol.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO ME. Poster | Roscoe P | Keep Calm-o-Matic

VDOT 53.37 

shouldbedeleted

Mmerkle - yeah these last couple of weeks have been especially hard due to the traveling.

I suppose I should get out from underwater by next week.

Come to think about it another thing that isn't helping is that because we're now going to a local gym, and we need to get back the classes we missed due to vacation, meaning we had to up front to 3 strength training sessions per week.

I guess I'm gonna have to ask the coach to add a bit of stretching and mobility to the classes so the overall volume is a bit lower.

This weekend I have a 2h40 long run, that's going to be interesting.

I'm planning to take my hidration vest and a couple of energy gels.

DavePNW

Oh, California is big enough to be full of wine snobs AND beer snobs. Although in general the beer snobbery is more heavily concentrated in the northwest. Important US map:

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You can buy many of them in Sacramento. I suggest Coors Light, however other more "craft" options are available...except for maybe Anchor Steam.

Only Bud light for me. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

me - I'm very tired. Is there ever a time when training for a marathon when you're not so wrecked ? I'm eating mostly clean, lots of protein, 9 hours of sleep every night, taking my Vitamin D every day. Granted the last couple of weeks have been even harder due to all the traveling, jet lag etc.

I am envious, I can never sleep that much. Marathon training doesn't generally make me more tired, just more hungry.

Dave