Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

DavePNW

DW - if RP does not want the CIM bib, I might have someone.

Dave

shouldbedeleted

Jack - It's nice to hear from you. It sounds like you're back to retirement?

Andy - It sounds like you tapered perfectly. Also, re the old lady on the path, if there aren't race Marshalls guiding people, I'd have to side with her on this one haha.

DW - That's great to hear. It's my experience that having a great manager makes or breaks a job.

me - I have been dealing now for a few weeks with a niggle, some sort of pain under the foot, near my right foot heel.

I have gone in a couple of PT sessions, but it's not been able to sort it out. I can run with this, but I'm a bit concerned overtime it might become something worse.

The PT told me it's very likely some nerve going haywire, likely due to muscle tightness in the calves, or glutes.

I have another PT session on the 27th, and I'll keep going with my daily routine of stretching, hopefully this goes away.

DavePNW

Weather forecast: 54/73F (12/23C). If you told me a few weeks ago I’d get that, and no smoke, I’d figure that’s not bad for this time of year. But the aggravating thing is that it’s a Saturday race, and Sunday’s forecast is 48/64 (9/18C). And the rest of the week is 40s/60s. Arrgh!!! Nothing I can do about it though. Same race strategy I guess—go out at pace for 3:15 on the first 8 flat miles, then maintain the same effort on the downhill and see what happens. Maybe don’t look at my watch too much! Anyway I’m thinking I’ll be happy to finish under 3:15.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Regarding the lady on the paved trail, that was probably an overreaction by me but I was in PR mode and was determined to take the inside of every turn. There were no marshals on that part of the course and they couldn't have prevented her morning walk anyway. I should have just given her a stiff-arm into the bushes...

mmerkle - no need to doubt yourself as you are only really competing with yourself in the PR streak. The best athletes in the world go into every game/match/race expecting to win every time and if someone is undefeated, you expect to remain undefeated until you aren't. Keep riding that PR wave and remember, Kipchoge set the marathon record at 37 years old. Why wouldn't you be able to keep up this streak for at least 10 more years?

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

For half marathon specific training, what is the longest training run you would do given my mileage level (avg 30 miles per week this year)? I am thinking 16 miles with 5-6 miles at half marathon pace would be plenty for me. The Half is beginning of November in my race series and I don't have any plans of another marathon until sometime in 2024. I am thinking getting up to 20 miles is overkill for where I am at right now given my longest runs of the summer were at 11-13 miles due to lack of motivation running in the heat.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

mmerkle

I would counter that it is easier to do this without looking at a watch.  You just find a rhythm and go - no spending mental energy doing math or physical energy adjusting your effort in response to splits.

This is EXACTLY why I don't check my watch. I know myself, and I tend to obsess with numbers. I don't want to force myself to run some contrived splits at the expense of being alive in the last 10k. Your goal pace is only a guess anyway. On race day I am trying to think about racing, not numbers if I can help it.

Thanks to all for the compliments and votes of confidence.

JMac Thanks that means a lot! I'm hoping to break 2:50 by the end of 2024.

RP Thanks for chiming in. You're gonna love the medal. It has a big Eagle on it, it's American as hell! Problem is, I am having a seriously difficult time uploading a picture to this thread. How does this work?

Dave I think maybe everyone fatigues differently, you could be right. Also, that forecast isn't too bad, but that is frustrating that the next day is better. I like your strategy though. I think that should pan out.

Andy By the streak ending I just mean that at some point I could just have a bad day that results in a non PR. Thanks for that reminder though regarding age. I think you executed your 10k pretty well. I agree that 20 miles might be overkill for now. Doing 16 with a few miles at HM effort should be plenty.

Cal Very impressive week, and interesting structure. Do you normally do those back-to-back long runs? What's the idea behind it?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Cal Very impressive week, and interesting structure. Do you normally do those back-to-back long runs? What's the idea behind it?

Me and Cal have always done some fucking weird training weeks over the years that are not in the running books!  It’s blatantly obvious that he’s absolutely hell bent on beating at CIM and that’s great!  We are both competitive Moose Mug winners. 😎

Milkman - Good to see you post again…any update on the foot?

JT - If you’re lurking then you need to come back!  I had a look at Strava and you seem to be on a consistent roll. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Mikkey is absolutely right on the idea behind the back-to-back LRs - there is no justification to it - it's just how I felt that week Smile.

Actually, if you want something more substantial - here it is:

Zone 2 and mitochondria

Many guys often look at what some of us (me including) doing and saying - how you can run sub 3 marathons when you run so slow, 9 minutes per mile and slower so much. What they miss is that I am trying to run a lot at those slow paces and that I still have 1 or 2 faster workouts every week - LT on Tuesdays and sometimes MP effort runs. That makes some difference. But the main difference is developing more mitochondria during those slow long runs - and that's what we always were joking with PBrickley guy back in RWOL times - "it's all about mitochondria" 

Mikkey - right on point! Let the faster guy win! 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Never trust a Russian.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Never trust a Russian.

Why you cannot trust a Russian? Russians are all different btw, they are not clones of each other 

I am actually a naturalized american. But I don't think you can trust an american too Smile Basically, you cannot trust anybody 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Why you cannot trust a Russian? Russians are all different btw, they are not clones of each other 

I am actually a naturalized american. But I don't think you can trust an american too Smile Basically, you cannot trust anybody 

Yep, I agree with that!

DavePNW

I would counter that it is easier to do this without looking at a watch.  You just find a rhythm and go - no spending mental energy doing math or physical energy adjusting your effort in response to splits.

You are probably right. When I am having a good race, I keep looking at my watch, but there is no need to make adjustments or do calculations because I am locked in. I guess I just feel like I need the positive feedback. I usually stop looking in the final miles; either I am pouring it on with max effort, or I am death-marching it in.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

mmerkle ummm….upload to incur and copy/paste? Back in the day I’d post my story to Strava, CTRL+ C, CTRL + V the link here, and have pictures on Strava. You could maybe copy/paste it from Imgur, or I could give it a try if you wanted.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

RP - did you want the CIM transfer that DW is offering? If not, I’m going to ask around my local running community.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For half marathon specific training, what is the longest training run you would do given my mileage level (avg 30 miles per week this year)? I am thinking 16 miles with 5-6 miles at half marathon pace would be plenty for me. The Half is beginning of November in my race series and I don't have any plans of another marathon until sometime in 2024. I am thinking getting up to 20 miles is overkill for where I am at right now given my longest runs of the summer were at 11-13 miles due to lack of motivation running in the heat.

I don't think you need to go longer than 16.  I also think that 16 with 5-6 miles at HM effort is a really big workout - too big, IMHO, though this does differ on one's HM goal (the slower the goal pace, the easier it is to run a longer tempo at that pace).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.