Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - My bad, I thought I had updated that time already.

Josh - Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

That’s too late as I’ll have retired from marathons by then…maybe.

No rematch with Cal?

Thanks for the good wishes concerning my health. "Speedy" won't happen after more than seven months, I'm afraid, but I'd take a full recovery anytime of course.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No rematch with Cal?

Thanks for the good wishes concerning my health. "Speedy" won't happen after more than seven months, I'm afraid, but I'd take a full recovery anytime of course.

Rotterdam?  It’s up to him if he wants revenge. 🤷‍♂️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

Well there was a larger Boston cutoff the year they reduced the field size in 2021. But the number of entries missing the cut this year was still the largest ever. My year was 2019 when the cutoff was almost this much, and they tightened the standards by 5 minutes the next year. No idea if they'll do that again...my guess is they'll give it at least another year to ensure it's a real trend, but that's based on nothing.

YEAR FIELD SIZE "CUT-OFF TIME" QUALIFIERS NOT ACCEPTED
          2012 27,000 1:14 3,228
          2014 36,000 1:38 2,976
          2015 30,000 1:02 1,947
          2016 30,000 2:28 4,562
          2017 30,000 2:09 2,957
          2018 30,000 3:23 5,062
          2019 30,000 4:52 7,248
          2020 31,500 1:39 3,161
          2021 20,000 7:47 9,215
          2022 30,000 0:00 0
          2023 30,000 0:00 0
          2024 30,000 5:29 11,039

Dave

CalBears

Rotterdam?  It’s up to him if he wants revenge. 🤷‍♂️

You know Mikkey - please try to find any instance when Russian athlete tried to "beat" an opponent in a discussion before the fight, and not on the field 

Remember what happened to McGregor when he tried to embarrass Habib?  And if Russian athlete loses, he doesn't complain like many others. That's just a culture. People are concentrated on Russians doping. That's a cultural things too - Russians are just more careless than other cultures - because yes, the doping is kind of not death sentence in Russia. There is life after doping there Smile The same about drunkers in Russia - they are not the worst people in the World - Russians will also say - "yes, he drinks so much... but he is actually a good person" 

What I am saying - ha-ha - we will see at around 10:01 - 10:04am at the finish line in Sacramento on December 3rd 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

One can't help but wonder if the hype train might have overcooked itself by already reaching full steam with over two months to go...

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

One can't help but wonder if the hype train might have overcooked itself by already reaching full steam with over two months to go...

No, I think it's just started 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is shaping up to be a very enjoyable few months.

Mikkey - If you beat Cal but don't get a Moose Mug, will you consider it a complete disaster or just a failure?

Also, you'll be pleased to know I had a chat with my coach the other day and he thinks we stop messing round with 3:20 and jump straight to 3:10-15.  He thinks running with the brakes on might be the issue.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also, you'll be pleased to know I had a chat with my coach the other day and he thinks we stop messing round with 3:20 and jump straight to 3:10-15.  He thinks running with the brakes on might be the issue.

Well your new coach is a big improvement on the old one!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Wow! Mikkey opened his training log and he is totally copying my training approach - only getting few miles longer than me every day! Wow!

That's good thing you did Mikkey - I think it's fair for bot of us to see our training! You are doing really great! Nice job - just don't get injured!

flavio80

Not an 80%er

MickJogger - First of all great job at Berlin 🇩🇪 Can you say now "Ich bin ein Berliner" ?
                        I think RP can PR there even if he trains only 4 weeks.
                        I'm not recognised as Brazilian in Brazil due to my Italian accent, and I'm not recognised as Italian in Italy due to my Portuguese accent 😃

Fun fact: When people try to guess my origins most say "Eastern European"
                        Lisbon will probably be crappy weather, I'd avoid it.

Jmac - One advantage of the paper newspaper is that it allows you to see a broad spectrum of news, where as with sites and social media they try to narrow down the focus to just a couple of subjects.

Mikkey - Thanks for the invite but I'm busy in April trying to right a wrong at the Porto Eco Trail. I DNFd it earlier this year due to a heat stroke or going out too fast for my fitness.
                        Also, if I run a sub 3 in Valencia there's a good chance I'll retire from marathons, at least for a long while.

Josh - I had similar levels of lethargy which would come and go ( and it started as soon as I moved to Europe in 2020 ).

It's got really bad post covid but I now believe it was more due to the low vit D than covid itself.

My vitamin D levels were at 18 earlier this year. That explains a lot. I've gotten much better once I started supplementing it.

I'd also recommend supplementing zinc, and magnesium (which helps with muscular relaxation post exercise).

Another thing a nutritionist recommended was to considerably up my protein intake. Even if you're not looking to get buff, since you're not lifting too much you won't gain anything, but all the extra protein will also help with training recovery.

I've been eating things like a small bowl of greek yoghurt with whey protein, and canned cod with chickpeas, lots of eggs and meat.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey you can't possibly retire after Rotterdam - it's like asking for an English breakfast as last meal before the execution. It simply wouldn't feel right (mentally and physically). Amazing work though, you are taking the CalBear battle serious - he thought you were putting in a lot of work all along, but that must have crushed him now, to see how much you have been doing. Not bad at all and good timing.

Steve - 3:10 that's a fantastic time, so close to the BQ too.

Flavio: there was a time, shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when being called Eastern European was actually more of an insult in Western Europe. I guess that's why CalBear moved out to Modesto. I wrote "Ich bin ein Berliner" on my Strava entry. And some stupid insult because I PB'ed there, but Eliud didn't Big grin We saw the elite runners on monitors before the start. I cannot say that I saw Kipchoge in person, he was about 500m ahead of us. Berlin is like 45k runners, the corrals are huge and the streets are extremely busy. Lisbon in early October is crappy in what sense? Humidity, heat, fog, cold, rain? Could be windy along the Ocean, but looks like fun on the pictures. Might pick Valencia then, sorry Longboat but that will be next year.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Get it done this weekend!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Wow! Mikkey opened his training log and he is totally copying my training approach - only getting few miles longer than me every day! Wow!

That's good thing you did Mikkey - I think it's fair for bot of us to see our training! You are doing really great! Nice job - just don't get injured!

Thanks! I’ve lost a lot of speed and haven’t done any proper long runs yet so will need to figure out the best approach for Oct/Nov training. 

CalBears

Thanks! I’ve lost a lot of speed and haven’t done any proper long runs yet so will need to figure out the best approach for Oct/Nov training. 

No, I think you are doing great! I compared your training to Feb-Mar 2019 and I do not think you are doing much worse now than back then - very impressive. Just do not injure yourself - you are already in great shape!