Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

dktrotter

Dorothea

Geez guys. Explaining a joke makes it lose its funniness!

Never cite Wikipedia at me, Dave   Though you’re not wrong, I think this Smithsonian article does a good job of explaining it. 

Yes, nobody laughed at JFK’s assertion at the time. They knew he wasn’t a German speaker and understood the core of his message. And it’s fair to state it with pride on an appropriate occasion, like having run the Berlin Marathon.

Yes, a jelly-filled donut is called a Berliner almost everywhere except Berlin, where it is called a Pfannkuchen (and pancakes, which is what Pfannkuchen means, are called Eierkuchen). 

Yes, “Ich bin ein Berliner” is technically correct, though you will rarely hear people assert their belongingness in this way. FYI, if you ever tell a German where you're from, you’d say “ich bin Amerikaner/in” or “ich komme aus Amerika,” not “Ich bin ein/e Amerikaner/in.” The article references the parallelism JFK wanted to make to the statement “Civis Romanus sum.” The article misleadingly cites some professor that this is the only way to say what JFK wanted to say, but I and thousands of German teachers disagree. I don’t see an article in the original latin statement, either. 

I had guessed you grew up in Germany, MickJogger. Where? As for me, I could joke and say that the Soviet Union collapsed because of me, being born 8 months prior, but it was dissolving long before that. I left in 1993, but yes, pretty much, Flavio. Also I’m still in Uni, ha ha, but now I’m the one in front of the classroom. 

Also also, I too ran the Berlin Marathon under someone else’s name! So I, too, want to go back under my own name someday (how did you get the wristband that’s attached to the proper applicant’s name at the expo?) 

Oh, and with all this German stuff, happy Day of Unity. 

In other news: I found out I placed 3rd overall on Saturday (the results weren’t uploaded until today) and CK, please update my goal for Philly for 3:25. Fishy, yes, let’s figure out how to meet Saturday evening or at the race! 

Finally, Flavio, I think the consensus is that you’re not giving yourself enough credit about your performance on Sunday, and that you just need to recover (which I hope is a smooth one) and keep your eye on the prize in Dec. Also, October in Germany usually is quite chill, but the golden Octobers will often make an appearance at the beginning (which is quite nice—if you’re not racing). Epic meme, CK. 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: April 28, Glass City Marathon, 3:29:53. Saw deer; cried; didn't melt in rain or heat. 

DavePNW

Dorothea - congrats on the placing!

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

OMG I’m still laughing at that meme CommanderKeen!  😂😂😂😂😂😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Also also, I too ran the Berlin Marathon under someone else’s name! So I, too, want to go back under my own name someday (how did you get the wristband that’s attached to the proper applicant’s name at the expo?) 

DKtrotter - Ha, this is an absolute insider question, very good. I found out about it, after booking my flight and hotel. And then thought - dammit how am I going to run, if we can't transfer the wristband? For everyone's benefit: at the expo, when picking up the bib, all runners have to show proof of ID and then get a wristband that is heat sealed and pretty tight. At the entrance to the race, you have to show the bib and the wristband. The person that sold me the bib told me, we would just sow it back together and that wouldn't be visible at all. After all, with 47k runners to check, they don't really look at it too closely. But it turned out that there are tons of videos on youtube, how to remove tight objects from your wrist - and with a bit of vaseline and a plastic bag you can easily slide it off. It helped that he was taller than me, so once he had taken it off his wrist, it was relatively easy for me to slide it back on. And it survived - I have it on my key chain. How did you do it, did they have the same system when you ran it? Congrats on the 3rd place - hope you can still claim your prize money!

CK - epic.

Mikkey -  I thought about calling Flavio out as superspreader too, but then again that sounds so much like 2020 and we are in 2023 by now 

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi/Mikkey/Keen - Excellent memes 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👏👏👏

Mikkey - That's slander, I'm a responsible person and I ran the half with a mask on 😎😇

DK - Kudos for placing.

Your explanation about the use of that sentence reminded me of why I largely ignore grammar when studying a new language heh, so many edge cases 🤯

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Since I've only been perusing these threads, I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but given the interest in NYC qualifying times, I thought I would pass this along. NYRR is moving to a system similar to Boston where they will determine a cutoff, rather than first-come, first-serve. My guess is they moved to this because the process was pretty bad the past two years where entries sold out in minutes, and it was the luck of the draw on whether your browser worked properly when it put you in the queue.

They're also only allowing marathon qualifying times for 2025+ which makes sense: the half marathon times were much easier than the marathon times.

https://www.nyrr.org/run/guidelines-and-procedures/time-qualifiers-for-nyrr-marquee-races

I have a guaranteed entry to the 2024 marathon (since the time cut-off rule does not apply if you qualify via a NYRR race), so although I have done zero training, I am getting the itch to get back at it and will sign up if other folks here do get in.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I was out of pocket for several days due to a wedding so I am just catching up. Some nice race results this past weekend. I am ramping up mileage this week for sure as I didn't really plan accordingly with the travel for the wedding to up mileage last week. I did 10 miles this morning and will likely get up into just under 50 for the week.

I have the 10-miler race in my race series this Sunday and the temp is supposed to be 42F at the start, which is a crazy change since my coldest run in the past 5 months has been 58. I will certainly have gloves, a merino hat, and a neck cover. I'm still debating about whether to wear tights under my shorts. The course is very hilly and I don't care about a PR as much as a do for the Half in a month so I am planning to run 3-4 easy miles before the race and then hold back a little so I don't have to worry about recovery as much the next week. That will also get me a 13-14 mile long run to help with the Half.

XC Update - My son (Nolan is 9) ran the 10k of our running series in 55:05, securing 1st overall in the mini series for 12 and under. I actually held him back a little since his team XC races are more important. We made up a game of smacking the top of the rubber cones along the course and got a point if we didn't knock it over. We stopped the game at 150 cones and he flew past many adults in the last half mile. He probably could have run under 53 minutes had I not held him back but he wouldn't have had as much fun.

His team had a 2k night race while I was at the wedding and they killed it, getting 2nd place. My son run 6:47 pace when his best 1 mile time so far was 7:00. One of his teammates ran a 5:48 pace and didn't even win the meet (2nd).

At the Monday meet, it was hot (87) but they still won 1st place out of 29 teams and Nolan ran 6:49. Our girls had dominated the 3 previous meets so it was a given they would win 1st but it was really cool to see our boys and girls teams win on the same day. We are on to the West TN Regional meet in 10 days, which will certainly have cooler weather and he is looking to try to break 6:40.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

Another note on NYCM (as far as I can tell). For 2024 when they still allow either half or full to qualify, but start to institute the cutoff. They convert all times to equivalent 10k times:
                  - Half marathon x 0.45

- Marathon x 0.22

So whichever one is better is the one you submit.

https://www.nyrr.org/run/guidelines-and-procedures/race-procedures/calculated-pace-and-corral-updates

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

That's interesting.  I was already a low chance to get a non-NYRR entry as it was but I expect the cut-off will be more than NQ - 1:12 for a half which is where I am.  I was wavering anyway because I have to decide before my next marathon attempt and I'd rather nail one first.  Also, NY is during exam week with my study.  Boston has much easier marathon qualifying times (3:20 - 5ish minutes for me).  If I'm going via the qualifying route, Boston may be the way to go (also better time of year).  I can always go via an international tour but if I can avoid spending 10 grand more than I need to, I'd rather do that.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The idea of qualifying  for NYC with a half marathon time is so stupid and ridiculous as they are completely different races.

Train well and run a legit marathon time a few minutes faster than needed. I hate folk who try to cut corners.

CK - I’m still laughing and you need your post on page 1. F’n legend. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hey mikkey, go f**k yourself 

Just go run a legit marathon qualifier, no probs, I’ll go do that now…for me that’s 3:05 minus whatever buffer gets added. My half does predict I can do it but let’s get to the end of one without wanting to top myself first.

The Boston standard is in my current wheelhouse for sure.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just go run a legit marathon qualifier, no probs, I’ll go do that now…for me that’s 3:05 minus whatever buffer gets added. My half does predict I can do it but let’s get to the end of one without wanting to top myself first.

Blew up at Grandma's going for the Moose Mug in 2022, now I'm qualifying for 2024 NYC with my half marathon time. I've disappointed Mikkey too much recently.

I'll return to lurking 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You are doing great and I genuinely think that your next marathon will be a success!

Just giving my opinion which isn’t always popular. 

You big Dosser

Blew up at Grandma's going for the Moose Mug in 2022, now I'm qualifying for 2024 NYC with my half marathon time. I've disappointed Mikkey too much recently.

I'll return to lurking 

My dad thinks you’re wonderful. ❤️

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Andy - Congrats to your son, and best of luck to him in the upcoming race.

NYC Qualifying - By going back-and-forth through the calculator linked from the NYRR website and the VDOT calculator, it looks like a half marathon translates to a faster 10k time than the equivalent marathon does. Thus, it could be concluded that for this coming year (as previous years) the NYRR values half marathon qualifiers more than it does full marathon qualifiers.

I had actually already created an account on the NYRR website just to facilitate registering for NYC when the time came. I guess trying to save that bit of time no longer matters .

It is truly amazing how much difference a bit of taper can make. I've only been cutting mileage for two days previous, but my workout this morning was absolutely awesome because of it. It was a bit warmer and more humid than it has been (impending storm systems), but this morning felt nearly effortless and I was holding back to "only" target the faster part of my target pace range.

The weather forecasts for both my races are also looking better and better with each passing day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4