Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Fishyone

DKT Congratulations on the race!  Are you going to be looking for a pace group?  You're stuck in the middle of the 3:20 and 3:30 groups so maybe a lone wolf race?  The 3:10 pacer pulled me along for most of the race last year and it was the first time I've chased a pace group.  It definately helped when I was having technological issues with my watch!!

Flavio- It seems like piling on at this point but I'm super impressed with your race. You've got some great speed and running a half sick and warm sound like HELL but you pulled it off.

JMAC-  Maybe the NYC change will actually allow me to get into the race.  My experience in the queue soured me on trying to get into the race so maybe I'll start thinking about it as a fall "destination" race.  Not a PR

Keen Yes, when you run 100 mile weeks for 3 months a little taper will feel good (not that I've ever done that)

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Since I've only been perusing these threads, I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but given the interest in NYC qualifying times, I thought I would pass this along. NYRR is moving to a system similar to Boston where they will determine a cutoff, rather than first-come, first-serve. My guess is they moved to this because the process was pretty bad the past two years where entries sold out in minutes, and it was the luck of the draw on whether your browser worked properly when it put you in the queue.

They're also only allowing marathon qualifying times for 2025+ which makes sense: the half marathon times were much easier than the marathon times.

https://www.nyrr.org/run/guidelines-and-procedures/time-qualifiers-for-nyrr-marquee-races

I have a guaranteed entry to the 2024 marathon (since the time cut-off rule does not apply if you qualify via a NYRR race), so although I have done zero training, I am getting the itch to get back at it and will sign up if other folks here do get in.

Thoughts:

1) I have a guaranteed entry to the 2024 marathon and was planning on using it if other RunningAhead peeps are going to run.  Right now my thought is that I may actually target Twin Cities next year (yes, I know) and then run NYC a month later for fun and just use the whole weekend as a forum encounter.

2) I'm not so sure they're using the Boston method for ranking entries.  The way they describe the process, it could be that.  Or it could be that they assign a set # of slots to each age/gender group, and then rank the entries within that group.  It's not clear (unless I'm missing something).

3) I guess I didn't need to spend all that $ to go up to Brooklyn this spring after all....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'll also belatedly drop off my week, and then try to catch up on comments tomorrow (since I'm now on vacation, because there wasn't a shutdown).

54 miles running, 1500 yards of swimming and 70 minutes of pool-running
        M: 6 miles very easy (9:12) and upper body weights/core
        T: 11.5 miles, including a track workout of 2x800, 2x1600, 2x800, 4x200 in 3:37, 3:33, 7:00, 6:50, 3:19, 3:20, 47, 47, 47, and 47. Recoveries of 2:2x-2:4x after the 800s and 5:4x after the 1600s; full recovery for the 200s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        W: 8 miles very easy (9:30) including some grass running and drills/strides and streaming yoga.
        Th: 70 minutes of pool-running and upper body weights/core.
        F: 8.5 miles, including a 5K track tempo in 21:43 (7:00/6:58/6:55/0:50). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
        Sa: 8 miles trail-running (10:07) and upper body weights/core.
        Su: 12 miles progressive, split as the first 3 miles averaging 9:36, the next 5.5 miles averaging 8:03, and then the next 3.5 miles averaging 7:43. Followed with 500 yards recovery swimming.

I had a bad workout on Tuesday - I felt fine, but I simply couldn't see for much of the workout (before sunrise on an unlit track, with light drizzle fogging up my glasses). That's how one ends up running 800s at slower than tempo pace.

Friday's tempo went a lot better. Since it was so short, I made a point of pretty much hitting pace right away instead of easing into it. Which reminded me of how much I hate doing that - it essentially results in an anaerobic first mile, since my heart rate is fairly slow to adjust to effort. But it was a slight shock to the system, which is what I felt like I needed in order to start peaking.

Taper does seem to be kicking in this week.  I did a few 800s on Tuesday and the last two clocked in at 3:12 and 3:11 which is on the faster side of things for me these days, and they didn't feel very hard.  So I'm hopeful for Sunday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh good lord. So I have to play the qualifier lottery again? Ugh. At least I became older so my qualifier is faster, but there are a lot of fast 40 year old males.  

I will apply for the lottery for the 2024 New York Marathon. Not because I want to have 3 majors completed.  I want to meet my

less than imaginary friends, go running and maybe do a vacation thing I’ve heard people do.

edit: I am in the class of ‘10k pace conversion isn’t fair’ while also thinking ‘you use a spreadsheet to determine your 10k pace.’ Since I have blown expectations out of the water previously I should have my 10k pace set 10 seconds faster than their formula. This wouldn’t be a problem if half marathons didn’t count.

a quick click and they say my marathon equals a 19:00 5k and a 38:09 10k. I’m kind of offended simply because I broke 19 at 4,400 ft elevation. I guess I should find a fast downhill half marathon and go stupid fast. (Now I see how people get jaded against specific marathons). 
          Maybe I’ll do good at New York. I’m already worried about it a year ahead of tapering.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

At least I became older so my qualifier is faster, but there are a lot of fast 40 year old males.  

Non-binary category seems to be your ticket...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

For anyone interested, I do not recommend the Cologne Half or full marathons, if you're serious about time.

I mistakenly thought it would be cold because Germany in October.

In fact, if they started the half at 7am like God intended, it would be super fast. Even an 8am start would be fine.

But the 9am start is idiotic. The full starts at 10, even more idiotic.

To pile on that, the entry fee was expensive, 80 euros, you get nothing in the race bag. T-shirt gotta pay extra.

Honestly I thought it was ok because the course was certified, but I highly suspect they've changed the course, at least my Strava map does not match what was on their site.

To top it all, it does not start and finish on the same place. If you need to drop a bag, you need to walk to the finish, drop your bag, then walk 1.5 miles to the start. They don't collect them at the start.

Here in Portugal they also always start the races very late, honestly I think it's all Jmacs fault cause he can't wake up early 😀

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Non-binary category seems to be your ticket...

Why not. Just play the ludicrous system. 🤷‍♂️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I loved Cologne marathon as I won €50 euros which paid for my entrance fee. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

DavePNW

I guess I should find a fast downhill half marathon and go stupid fast. 

I resemble that remark! My downhill HM time of 1:29 correlates to a 40 minute 10k, and I've never run an actual 10k faster than 41:30.

(MTA: Although feel pretty confident I could at least go comfortably under 41, and looking to maybe test that out before the end of the year. It would be a real stretch for me to run 40.)

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fishy - To clarify some of the ongoing telephone game/memes:

- I originally commented on how the air quality was not good in Cologne, cause I thought it was causing a throat irritation.

But it was just around 58, nothing to write home about.

- The weather was nearly perfect at the start and up until km 12 perhaps. It was a continuous warm up on the last few km, easy to feel if you're running at HMP PR pace.

- I think if I didn't race the half I wouldn't even know I had covid. It had zero effect on my race. Of course after the race with the dip in the immune system the virus ran stronger and 2 or 3 hours after the race I started thinking this was not the usual half marathon post race feeling.

DW - Once again, go get it! I'm sure you will crush it 🏆

me - Valencia accepted my upgrade to the 2h50-3h starting block. I'm happy. So many plans now for a revenge half marathon race and another take on my 10k PR. Can Valencia be sub 3 already so I can retire from this marathon nonsense 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

DavePNW

Why not. Just play the ludicrous system. 🤷‍♂️

Well the main reason is that it's dishonest. If he wants to run badly enough to cheat their system, there are plenty of ways, He could just register as female, or use a higher age, or have someone faster run with his bib.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well the main reason is that it's dishonest. If he wants to run badly enough to cheat their system, there are plenty of ways, He could just register as female, or use a higher age, or have someone faster run with his bib.

LOL. Yeah imo it’s dishonest to have a non binary category in the first place. 🤦🏻

DavePNW

LOL. Yeah imo it’s dishonest to have a non binary category in the first place. 🤦🏻

I disagree. But I don't plan to get into it further here, since no one's mind is going to be changed.

Dave

mmerkle

Andy That's awesome news regarding your son and the team. When I was in middle school, so a little older than him, whenever we had to run a half mile or a mile for gym class I was in the back struggling with all of the out of shape kids. I think it took me at least 10 minutes to run just 1 mile when I was 12. And now here I am. So imagine what your son could possibly do if he sticks with it.

Thanks for the fueling advice. And wcrunner my apologies for leaving you out of the list of people familiar with ultras. Not sure why I forgot to mention you but I feel silly.

Commander Great meme!

Some more exciting races are approaching for the thread. Let's get it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I resemble that remark! My downhill HM time of 1:29 correlates to a 40 minute 10k, and I've never run an actual 10k faster than 41:30.

(MTA: Although feel pretty confident I could at least go comfortably under 41, and looking to maybe test that out before the end of the year. It would be a real stretch for me to run 40.)

So you’re close to my equivalent in the comparison. This was what I realized, and I tried to BQ tuning a Rebel downhill race.  I’m just looking for something to be upset about.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22