Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Fishyone

Fishy - Good luck this weekend!

So, are we in agreement that recent marathon world records are sketchy at best?

Thanks Commander!  Weather is looking ideal.  Almost wish I opted for the full

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Commander/Fishy Wishing your competitors luck tomorrow, they're gonna need it.

shouldbedeleted

Mikkey/Piwi - Perhaps you're only looking at the speed benefit due to the longer stride provided by the higher stack ?
        But what about the lower impact on the muscles.
        Somebody who ran race pace for 34km and then had to death march due to muscle cramps caused by muscular exhaustion could now instead finish the race cramp-less in a much faster time.

How much faster can you be if your legs are not as tired on the later stages of the marathon and you're only tested on your aerobic limits?

MickJogger - here's the absolute best 5k training plan ever invented (by the Hansons brothers 😂 )
        12x400 / 8x600 / 6x800 / 5x1000 / 4x1200 / 3x1600
        All of them with 400 meter jogs in between the hard intervals.
        Intervals at current 5k race pace, not planned 5k race pace.

Keen/Fishy - Good luck on your races!

Fishy good luck 👍 what are you racing  sorry I'm out of the loop here.

Flavio good point on the shoes. I hope those intervals aren't all in a session 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

MickJogger - here's the absolute best 5k training plan ever invented (by the Hansons brothers 😂 )
            12x400 / 8x600 / 6x800 / 5x1000 / 4x1200 / 3x1600
            All of them with 400 meter jogs in between the hard intervals.
            Intervals at current 5k race pace, not planned 5k race pace.

Some of my favorites for variety are ladders and pyramids, e.g.

200, 400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400, 200 at 3k-5k pace climbing the ladder, then increasing the pace slightly on each rung coming down

or

1200, 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200 starting at 5k pace and increasing pace slightly on each step down

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Fishy good luck 👍 what are you racing  sorry I'm out of the loop here.

Flavio good point on the shoes. I hope those intervals aren't all in a session 

Baystate half on Sunday.  Actually tapering and running it as a race so who knows may be an epic blow up in the making

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck Fishy and Keen. 👍

I decided to use this BMI machine at my gym this afternoon just out of curiosity and got this print out. Anyone know what Body %/ Body fat mass means and why I’m under and yet my BMI is in ideal range?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishy awesome have you got a goal time ?

Mikkey looks like a supermarket receipt to me, will leave it to the brains trust on here to help you 😉

Election day here in NZ. Should I vote Biden or Trump...

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Piwi - Vote Chris !

Fishy - You weren't on my radar, sorry. Good luck to you as well!

Mikkey - Less fat, more muscle. Endurance athlete.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good luck Fishy and Keen. 👍

I decided to use this BMI machine at my gym this afternoon just out of curiosity and got this print out. Anyone know what Body %/ Body fat mass means and why I’m under and yet my BMI is in ideal range?

*millennial noises* my bmi is above 25.

body fat mass is probably just a calculation. Body weight times body fat percent equals a number you can use to say ‘I need to lose ___ (kg)’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Election day here in NZ. Should I vote Biden or Trump...

I’d go with Trump simply because he’s a great mover…have you ever seen him come on stage to the YMCA song by the Village People?  Magnificent! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mt79

Fishy/Keen - Good luck!!

Keen - you doing the 100 miler?

Marky_Mark_17

Fishy and Keen - good luck!!

Piwi - I'm quite looking forward to this election campaign being over.  One of the most spiteful campaigns I've seen to be honest and not very inspirational.  And as usual the media just overhyping everything.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Mikkey I did see this which seems to agree with what you're saying

https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijesab/vol2/iss14/15/

I’m just now checking out this link, and I don’t read it that way. While it does state that sub-3 marathoners get more benefit, 3:30 marathoners still get 1.4%, which is 3 minutes. That’s pretty significant for someone trying to BQ, which is a lot of people in that time range. And even 4:12 marathoners get 0.9%, still >2 minutes. I don’t put much stock in those exact percentages, but it certainly seems to support the case that the shoes are a contributing factor in faster BQ times.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Commander keen has started his race.  I have a few checkpoints I can update. 
                                race started at 6:00am. 
                                Lapland aid station (out). 15.9 miles.  His fast projection was 8:40am.

Actual arrival 8:22am.  Pace for this section 8:56/mi

Teterville aidstation (out)  25.5 miles. Fast projection 10:17am

actual arrival 9:45am. Depart 9:49am. Pace for this section 8:39/mi. 

ridgeline is the next aid station. Weighted Prediction 11:22am. Predicted arrival 11:25. 
                                overall average 8:49/mi. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22