Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 575 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

me - After every sequence of logical thoughts I arrive at the same conclusion that I'm not ready. Not enough mileage. MP runs feel like HMP pace runs, they don't feel easy at all.

I know the feeling. Going into my first marathon I had run exactly one training run over 16 miles, and that was a leisurely 18 mile social run with friends.  We didn't know about MP runs back then, we just trained in general and raced frequently over many distances.  Not feeling ready actually helped me because it encouraged me to be conservative at the start..

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles
          10/12 - Hainesport 12-Hour

Fishyone

Not feeling ready actually helped me because it encouraged me to be conservative at the start..

Very wise words here from WC I think starting the first 2-3 miles conservatively is spot on advice (which I often ignore to my own detriment)!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CalBears

OMG people!!!

WC and Fishy just said exactly what I was talking about this morning 

I just ran 3 miles at MP effort that felt like HMP effort. Most of the times the last week before the race feels not really good - you are running so much less during last two weeks and it it feels you are losing fitness very fast. But as all 27 marathons I ran before show, that's not true - almost always you should rely more on your training than on your feel during last two weeks before the race.

flavio - just believe in what you put into your training. Your training cycle was impressive, your long runs were consistent and fast enough. You had a best cycle. All the rest is in your head. Sheer belief is not just a belief - that's a reality - you cannot ignore the training you had - it worked for most of us and it will work for you. You should be aware of it. You should not get doubts in your head. Even if you feel bad during 1, 2 or 3 miles during your race - remember, it's not 2 or 3 miles, it's 26 miles - it's a long distance! Concentrate on getting run first two-three miles close to your marathon pace, focus and try to get into the rhythm. Don't think too much too far away - just mile after mile. That will work!

Mikkey - if your wife knew how handsome your Russian competitor is, she would not think you are crazy to beat him 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

me - After every sequence of logical thoughts I arrive at the same conclusion that I'm not ready. Not enough mileage. MP runs feel like HMP pace runs, they don't feel easy at all. I have cough bouts a few times during the day, which are possibly stomach related (reflux).

I am gonna rely on sheer faith. That same dumb faith that I have at the start of every 5k race that today I'm gonna break 17 minutes.

+ being metronomical with the pacing.

Here goes nothing.

Don't do it to yourself man.  You've put in the work, trust in that - I think Cal summed it up very well.  I've learned to read absolutely nothing into how I feel during that taper phase as there's often precisely zero correlation between how you feel then and how you race.  Get out of your head!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Agree with everything everyone else has said.  The brain is such a pain sometimes.  I come into marathon week thinking I'm unfit, haven't done enough, can't hold the pace...then if I look back over my training, and get surprised by how much I've done.  Look at your last few months.  Huge!  I don't think I've seen you this fit over my 5 years here.  Nothing is going to stop you, you've always had speed, now you've got a ton of endurance in the bag.

My mental skills coach told me not to fear the bad thoughts, everyone gets them.  Just acknowledge them, then let them float away.  Smile at people this week and on race morning.  Start 10 seconds per mile slower and ease down to marathon pace over the first 3.  I think everything is in place for a good day.  You've got about 32km of nice easy running before it's game time - enjoy that part of the race and don't spend it worrying about something that hasn't happened.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Foster Park Run July 20, 2024 19:02

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

Flavio wishing you all the best. As everyone has said you are in great shape and extremely fast.

Stick to the plan and nothing new on race day 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I know the feeling. Going into my first marathon I had run exactly one training run over 16 miles, and that was a leisurely 18 mile social run with friends.  We didn't know about MP runs back then, we just trained in general and raced frequently over many distances.  Not feeling ready actually helped me because it encouraged me to be conservative at the start..

I am not sure you can compare being unprepared to being Flavio.

This guy has trained like a workhorse every single day. He ran all the streets of Porto even the ones where Police refuses to go. His long runs would make all of us puke. He is ready to the point. I don’t know what happened in Köln but I know that he is going to smash it in Valencia. 

Just relax man, let the Brazilian side of you shine through you will do great in Spain! Gracias, obrigado & echale huevos they say or con los dos cojones depending on the mood

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I am not sure you can compare being unprepared to being Flavio.

This guy has trained like a workhorse every single day. He ran all the streets of Porto even the ones where Police refuses to go. His long runs would make all of us puke. He is ready to the point. I don’t know what happened in Köln but I know that he is going to smash it in Valencia. 

Just relax man, let the Brazilian side of you shine through you will do great in Spain! Gracias, obrigado & hecha le huevos they say or me cago en sos depending on the mood

I never said I was unprepared; I said I felt that way.  Lot's of talk about 20 mile runs, which I'd never done. But with a sub-1:00 10 mile PB and logging 50-55 mpw avg. for the preceding 18 months, it wasn't like I'd only completed a Higdon novice program. Running 2:59 certainly indicated I was better prepared than I felt.

2024 Races:

I never said I was unprepared; I said I felt that way.  Lot's of talk about 20 mile runs, which I'd never done. But with a sub-1:00 10 mile PB and logging 50-55 mpw avg. for the preceding 18 months, it wasn't like I'd only completed a Higdon novice program. Running 2:59 certainly indicated I was better prepared than I felt.

He ran a lot more than that in his prep. We shall see, but a long run of 16M - that sounds like the Daniels Q2 plan that ended in complete disaster for me. Some people just have the strength I guess

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Running Problem

Problem Child

IS dps going to make an appearance? It almost feels like a wasted effort to go to CIM now other than to get this friend a Boston lottery ticket.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

He ran a lot more than that in his prep. We shall see, but a long run of 16M - that sounds like the Daniels Q2 plan that ended in complete disaster for me. Some people just have the strength I guess

From what I've heard, my training was probably more like Hanson's plans.  In any case lots of high quality speed work including frequent racing.  I wish I still had my logs from that time, but while my average was 50-55 mpw, I have vague recollections of weekly mileage ranging from 40 to 70 miles. Aside from the track work most of that was also run on Connecticut's hills.

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - I’m pretty sure everyone has doubts before a marathon because it’s a big mental effort as well as physical and 3 hours is a long time for your brain to suggest that you slow down in the latter miles. I had a lot of stress during the final month of my PR marathon and I read The Secret book week before and OMG that put me in a really positive frame of mind for the race!  If you have Amazon Prime you can watch it…but the book is much better. Best of luck on Sunday. 👍

Cal - LOL, if we’d got a photo at London last year I’d have framed it so that my wife could see your face every single day.   Best of luck to you as well. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

shouldbedeleted

This guy has trained like a workhorse every single day. He ran all the streets of Porto even the ones where Police refuses to go. 

LOL thanks Mick 😄 FYI there's a new Brazilian show on Netflix called "Criminal code", you can see some real levels of crime there.

Thanks all for the positive vibes, sorry I'm being a drama queen.

Fishy mode from now till the race. Fewer words, more running 🏃‍♂️

mmerkle

Josh I have not tried that. What is it exactly?

flavio I've said this at least once before, but somehow I never feel "ready" for an upcoming marathon. I think it's normal to feel that way. I'm fairly certain others on here have felt that way before a good performance. I think you've been putting in plenty of work and deserve to have this monkey off your back.

Running Problem

Problem Child

From what I've heard, my training was probably more like Hanson's plans.  In any case lots of high quality speed work including frequent racing.  I wish I still had my logs from that time, but while my average was 50-55 mpw, I have vague recollections of weekly mileage ranging from 40 to 70 miles. Aside from the track work most of that was also run on Connecticut's hills.

I really wish I could have seen you back in the day. Sounds like you were a really gifted and talented runner.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22