Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wcrunner SIX DAYS?!?!?!?!? Man…I’d be interested to get some seriously detailed reports about what you’re doing for running, eating, sleeping, and mental strength during THAT kind of an event.

If you're really interested I could point you to some 6-Day race reports, but I'm only running the 12-hour event.  The 6-Day race is the premier event but there are also races for 12-hours, 24-hour, 48-hours, and 72-hours.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Marky_Mark_17

If you're really interested I could point you to some 6-Day race reports, but I'm only running the 12-hour event.  The 6-Day race is the premier event but there are also races for 12-hours, 24-hour, 48-hours, and 72-hours.

I shudder at going for more than 3 hours let alone 6 FREAKING DAYS!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I shudder at going for more than 3 hours let alone 6 FREAKING DAYS!

The world record is an astounding 1,036.8 km, 644.2377 in miles.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I think for many of us that negative split, it's because we want to ease into the first part of the race. For a half marathon, I want that first mile to be my slowest. It's on purpose: if that first mile is fast, it means I'm too amped up and overcooked the first one.

I agree and I normally start races with people who pace 1-2 minutes slower than me just so I won't accidentally go out too fast. That's unless it is a course which will get congested, like a trail race. My definition of being aggressive at the beginning doesn't mean the first couple miles but settle into a fast, comfortable pace for the first 7 miles which has some risk of getting a little worn out at the end. My last attempt at the Half more than 2 years ago had me stopping at the porta-crapper 3 times in the last 6 miles when I know I would have PR'd so my original message about the very conservative start was coming from anxiety of setting a PR no matter what. My problem is I don't truly know what my HM pace is so anything below 7:35 is a risk. I still have that big downhill late in the race to either save me if I'm worn out or supercharge me if my pacing was good during the first 7 miles.

Stretching - I have been much more diligent the past week with stretching and it has paid off significantly. Even after my hard workout/run yesterday, I am not having any of the tightness I have experienced the past 6 weeks. I think it took my father in law to show me I sucked at stretching and to research some stretch poses that focused on my problem areas. I had not started doing the diligent stretching after runs until the past few days so I cannot comment on that change yet but I don't see why that wouldn't be more beneficial than at a random point in the day. I certainly got benefit from going to the Stretch Zone last week but their business model is hard on the wallet because they make you purchase a package of numerous sessions up front. With us going on a cruise in 10 days, my wife said no to spending $450 on that right now.

Yes, I will be recovering from my Half on a cruise ship to the Bahamas. Kind of like going to Hawaii for a marathon to start your trip.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Marky_Mark_17

MarkyMark since you mentioned doing workouts in flats I thought I’d say I only do my workouts in non-super shoes. MY personal belief, after discussing it here with others, is the normal shoe helps build the strength to run faster. Proper form, more feed back, more controlled effort, more exhaustion, etc. The super shoes are there for an added perk. On race day I want some extra pep. On workout day it’s there to do the workout and get the stress. NOT hit a specific target (avoids rant) pace for a 400 or 1 mile workout. My Tuesday workout this week was in cold and wind, and I missed the target PACE (4:03/km) for almost all of them I hit the target of the workout (anaerobic stress) which is more important. I’m sure I could have put my super shoes on and made myself feel good about getting a 4:03 or 4:00/km pace on the chart…with a much lower heart rate.

So, I agree with the logic and theory behind this, but I've also heard a theory that being able to train at the higher speed enabled by super-shoes generates additional neuromuscular benefits (you are training yourself to move faster).  A lot of elites often do seem to train in supershoes too.  IDK, maybe the answer is to alternate? Or wear a supershoe on one foot and a normal one on the other then swap over halfway through the workout.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Pain is my friend

Yahoo. Maybe I will see you there. I am running the 24 hour on the 16th. 6 days on an indoor is nuts. I will never do that one. I think!!

First race of the year I've officially registered for:

wcrunner2      June 16       Six Days in the Dome 12-Hour         40-45 miles (Sorry I can't be more specific for a goal)

The race is on a 443.5m track around the ice rink at the Pettit Center in Milwaukee. We'll change direction every 4 hours. Comfy 55F temps for a June race.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

DavePNW

MarkyMark since you mentioned doing workouts in flats I thought I’d say I only do my workouts in non-super shoes. MY personal belief, after discussing it here with others, is the normal shoe helps build the strength to run faster. Proper form, more feed back, more controlled effort, more exhaustion, etc. The super shoes are there for an added perk. On race day I want some extra pep. On workout day it’s there to do the workout and get the stress. NOT hit a specific target (avoids rant) pace for a 400 or 1 mile workout. My Tuesday workout this week was in cold and wind, and I missed the target PACE (4:03/km) for almost all of them I hit the target of the workout (anaerobic stress) which is more important. I’m sure I could have put my super shoes on and made myself feel good about getting a 4:03 or 4:00/km pace on the chart…with a much lower heart rate.

RP - the equivalent of swinging a bat with a weighted donut in the on-deck circle, right? (Apologies to the non-Americans.) I do the same, but mostly because I want $250 shoes that are only good for 200 miles to last as long as they can. I know some people use them for workouts once the odometer passes 200, but I haven’t gotten that far with mine yet. In any case—whether RP’s or Marky’s approach is better, I’m guessing the benefit is minimal in the grand scheme of things. Once of the nice things about being a middling hobbyjogger is that I don’t have to stress about every detail like the elites do.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's funny we still call them "flats" when your racing shoes these does have mega stacks. The only flats I truly own are my old takumi sens and I really enjoy doing workouts in them. Not just because I love the shoes, but because it puts different stresses on my feet, which IMO is one benefit of rotating your shoes for easy days and workout days.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

So, I agree with the logic and theory behind this, but I've also heard a theory that being able to train at the higher speed enabled by super-shoes generates additional neuromuscular benefits (you are training yourself to move faster).  A lot of elites often do seem to train in supershoes too.  IDK, maybe the answer is to alternate? Or wear a supershoe on one foot and a normal one on the other then swap over halfway through the workout.

Probably a combination of both. ,at every if I was racing a 5k I’d wear them to train for sprints. I don’t think I’ve reached my maximum on speed yet, and I’m still a dad with an expensive hobby so like DavePNW I want them to last. Maybe you and jmac benefit from them on speed work because you’re already goin 12 mph and it helps develop that extra bit of elite speed to edge out the competition. I don’t think a 22 minute 5k runner would benefit too much from the,, but maybe I’m thinking of myself when I was developing speed back then and they didn’t exist. I’m no coach or community college walk on athlete. Just a guy trying to avoid spending time with his family.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yahoo. Maybe I will see you there. I am running the 24 hour on the 16th. 6 days on an indoor is nuts. I will never do that one. I think!!

My reaction

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah I’d be interested.  Only thing I have seen was some Netflix documentary about a religious race in New York where the same guy won it for years. It’s around a building/religious place of workshop I think, and mostly focused on the main guy.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll be on the starting line with you. My 12-hour is on the 16th.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yeah I’d be interested.  Only thing I have seen was some Netflix documentary about a religious race in New York where the same guy won it for years. It’s around a building/religious place of workshop I think, and mostly focused on the main guy.

Here's an extensive analysis by Bob Hearn, bhearn here on RA but he doesn't post much anymore.

https://bobhearn.blogspot.com/2020/02/six-days-in-dome-2019.html

Here's one by Viktoria Brown, who is also a triathlete

https://holdthecarbs.ca/blogs/viktoria-brown/3-canadian-records-and-a-world-record-my-first-6-day-race

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

DavePNW

Ha, I was literally just about to post Bob’s report, I was hunting around for it. He ran 530 miles in 6 days in 2019. He went for it again last year, but was injured and finished with “only” 450.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - one of my wife's uncles was in Paris and we thought to go see them seeing as they were in "the neighbourhood".
                                The old downtown Porto is quite car friendly in the sense of having streets where cars can go, I'm told though the quality of the streets makes your car deteriorate faster.
                                And driving can be challenging at times with some streets that are very narrow and have very steep ups and downs.
                                I'm sure your jeep would excel there.

Me - We're in Barcelona now. Tomorrow we'll move to the nearby town of Castelldefels where the race happens.
                                The hotel left us a bottle of wine as a welcome gift. We're off to a good start!
                                Temps are predicted to be excellent for Sunday morning.
                                I need to run 3:33/km (5:41) for a PR, my recent 10k PR suggests 3:37 (5:47) instead. I should be close so I'll either be super happy or super pissed I just missed the PR for a few seconds LOL.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly