Best race to BQ? (Read 1104 times)

I've only run the San Diego Rock n Roll, it's on the list, it worked for me. Big grin Good luck, I have no doubt you'll BQ this year!

Jennifer mm#1231

From the races that I have run to date, these are my suggestions. Note that this is what I'd think about running a first time marathon at one of these races and trying to run a BQ. I've run BQs at all but 3 of these (my first two marathons, and the 50k): Good for BQ --------------- Jacksonville (1st marathon, but very flat.) Vermont City Marathon (If you get motivated by your friends spectating, this is the best specatator course that I've run so far - you go through the same area multiple times with only one early out and back going over the same ground for more than a quarter mile at a time. If you are by yourself, then move this to "Okay for BQ") Marine Corps Marathon (Well supported and mostly flat.) Okay for BQ --------------- Cleveland (Mostly flat.) San Antonio (It isn't a challenging course, but it is a two looper and pretty boring.) Not Recommended for BQ --------------- Maine Marathon (Very hilly, and the toughest road course I've run so far.) New York City (Too many people.) Bad for BQ --------------- Pisgah Mountain Race (it's a 50k, so you probably won't finish in time!) Mystic Places Marathon (Great course, very flat, but with a lot of turns. Oh, and it no longer exists.) Boston (can't run the race to qualify for it!)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mikeymike

Boston (can't run the race to qualify for it!)
        Not entirely true. You can run Boston as a charity runner or weasel a number some other way and use Boston to qualify for Boston. I know people who have done that. MTA: This is not to call charity runners weasels, but to say that weaseling a number is an alternative to running for charity.

Runners run

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Some people have said Columbus... though, not this person. At least not this year. Cry
          Another marathon in Columbus is the Last Chance for Boston, held on a brisk February Sunday in a quiet suburban office park. The course is 26.2 totally flat one-mile loops... but not as mind-numbing as it might sound. Why run this one: only 110 people ran it last year (tho' you need to add in some folks doing the relay and shorter distances) with many BQs, you pass the fluid stop every mile, the host hotel is 100 feet from the starting line, quality wind-jacket schwag, friendly race staff and volunteers: http://www.premierraces.com/LastChance/lastchance.html When I'm 59yo, this is where I'm gonna to try for my 4:30 BQ time!

Jeanne

Why is it sideways?

Bad for BQ: Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon Good for BQ: Sacramento's California International Marathon (net downhill)

Not entirely true. You can run Boston as a charity runner or weasel a number some other way and use Boston to qualify for Boston. I know people who have done that.
              Good point; I hadn't thought of that.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for your input, folks. I think I'm going to run Marine Corps --- it's fairly flat, well supported, has pace groups .... and doesn't require airfare or hotel costs Wink
                2009: BQ?
                  If you want to travel to Little Rock, you're more than welcome to stay at our house, Trishie. The race is March 2 and the weather last year was perfect (altho I've heard the back 13 are pretty hilly).
                  ---- Cynthia
                    If you want to travel to Little Rock, you're more than welcome to stay at our house, Trishie. The race is March 2 and the weather last year was perfect (altho I've heard the back 13 are pretty hilly).
                    Awh, thanks Cyn! I don't think I'll be ready by the beginning of March, but I do appreciate the offer !
                    2009: BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

If you want to travel to Little Rock, you're more than welcome to stay at our house, Trishie...
                      What, you're not opening it up to the entire RA membership? Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've never run it (hell, I've never run a marathon), but the St. George Marathon in Utah looks BQ-tastic. USATF Certified, Boston Qualifier Net elevation change: 2560.4 ft. drop Shocked PDF of course elevation profile Tuck and roll from the start to mile 7, gut it out from 7 to 14, then tuck and roll the rest of the way home.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

What, you're not opening it up to the entire RA membership? Wink
                          Well sure! Cool
                          ---- Cynthia
                            Well sure! Cool
                            I was looking at possibly doing LR marathon because I have family in Arkansas that I could come visit while there. Tell me about the hills... especailly the big one.
                            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                              I've never run it (hell, I've never run a marathon), but the St. George Marathon in Utah looks BQ-tastic. USATF Certified, Boston Qualifier Net elevation change: 2560.4 ft. drop Shocked PDF of course elevation profile Tuck and roll from the start to mile 7, gut it out from 7 to 14, then tuck and roll the rest of the way home.
                              Ouch! I think my quads would explode. I'd rather run up it.
                                Your opinion, please Big grin
                                Marathons I have personally ran that are good BQ candidates are the Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Rocket City in Huntsville, AL, the Shamrock in Va. Beach, the Free Press Marathon in Detroit, The Philadelphia Marathon, and the Louisville (KY) Marathon. Oh ... and the Gasparilla in Tampa Fl.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.