Silver Comet HM (Read 625 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

This is how all races should be run organized. Nice course, plenty of portajohns at the start, plenty of friendly volunteers handing out drinks and calling out mile splits, nice medals and a heavy long-sleeve T-shirt in your choice of colors!. Then lots of finish line food, even bison burgers! It's a fast, flat course along a paved rails-to-trails path, the weather was perfect (45°F start) and only at the very start was there a crowd. For my part, I wanted to run sub-8 minute pace for the HM, and ended up at 1:41:09, a 7:44 pace. Best of all, a PR by over 5 minutes, my previous PR was in 1989! Whoo-hoo! (Modified for clarity)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Wow! Sounds like a perfect day. I'm very jealous! Congrats on the 5 min PR.
        My neighbor ran the Silver Comet HM this morning. I was planning on running it as a pace run for the Richmond Marathon but since my training didn't go as planned OI skipped it. A big congrats to you on a fine race and a big PR!!!
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
          This is how all races should be run.
          That goes for race directors AND runners. Nicely done Perfesser, congrats!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Sounds like you couldn't have asked for a better race --- on all levels!! Congrats on the sweet PR Smile mmmm... bison burgers ...
            2009: BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

That goes for race directors AND runners. Nicely done Perfesser, congrats!
              Yes, I meant that as a compliment to Dana Greene, the RD, who does just as good a job at the Silver Comet 10k in March. I wish she would direct the ING Georgia Marathon!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

va

Nice job PerfesserR! You're in getting in Beantown territory!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

I forgot to mention... I caught the bunny! Big grin

Pretty sweet day for you, Perf!
                    2009: BQ?
                      Chui says WAY TO GO!

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

For my part, I wanted to run sub-8 minute pace for the HM, and ended up at 1:41:09, a 7:44 pace. Best of all, a PR by over 5 minutes, my previous PR was in 1989! Whoo-hoo! (Modified for clarity)
                        A wonderful performance. Big grin Hearty congratulations to you.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Me and my gang in Breck

Great run! It's awesome when everything comes together for a great preformance. Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

CONGRATS!!! WTG and sounds like my kind of half marathon! How it's organized makes such a differance!! MTA: Congrats on catching the bunny Russ!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Pre!

I do love a well run race. Makes a big difference all around. Well done and congrats on that PR. I also love the dancing pickle!
                                Sounds like you had a great time, Russ. Awesome job on the PR!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?