1/2 before a marathon? (Read 652 times)

Running Miami on 01/25 ... I am trying to better dial in a pace. Do you see any problems with running a 1/2 this Friday? [Just over 2 weeks prior to the marathon to recover?] Alternatively, I was going to run a 4 mile WU and then run 9.1 at slightly faster than target marathon pace.

2012= under-goaled

I would run the half. Be careful about putting too much stock in predictions for your marathon pace because it is likely to be 20-30 degrees warmer in Miami than in NJ.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

mikeymike

I have run a half 2 weeks before a goal marathon and I don't think I'd do it again. Not much to be gained from it. The longest I'd probably race that close to the marathon would be about 10k. IMO 3 weeks is needed to fully race a half and recover completely to fully race a marathon. And if you're not going to race it all out then don't bother. So I'd do the 9 mile MP run during a 15-17 miler.

Runners run

I second Mikey's comments. IMHO, 2-weeks out is too close for an allout HM. I would not race a HM closer than 3-weeks out. The guidelines that I like for allout racing before a marathon is a minimum of two weeks for 10k, three weeks for a 15k-10m, and four weeks for a HM....and in each case an additional week is even better.
            I’m running the Disney Half this Saturday and the RnR AZ a week from Sunday. It wasn’t my intention to do back to back race weekends but I registered for Disney early last year and then decided to run in Phoenix a few months ago. I don’t plan to run all out in the half but I expect to be around PR pace (because I have improved so much this year). Although I would never enter a race as a training run, I would have probably gone on a 10-12 mile run this weekend any way and since I’ve already registered and I love the course then I might as well run it. My goal is to go all out in the Marathon in Phoenix, and break the PR I set in November, so after I’m done I’ll let you know how the back-to-back race weekends worked out for me.

Res firma mitescere nescit
            Running in Tampa

Kimmie

I've run halves three weeks out from my marathon and two weeks out and I definitely prefer three weeks to recover, like others have said. I think you have to be disciplined to run a race easy. The only way I think that would work for me would be to start talking to someone slightly slower than me and try to stay with them. Good luck! I am from south florida and I hope to run Miami sometime soon. It will be warm but gorgeous.
                Half away! I am one of those crazy dudes that has ran marathons on many back to back weekends and an occassional back to back to back so take my excitement with a grain of insanity. In reality though I see no problem with running a half two weeks out. This will likely help you feel confident but remember as the other poster said that the temps will play a big factor as will hills and at times lack there of. Treat the Marathon with respect and go get it.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Double IPA Please!

lol..posted this same thing in the other forumRoll eyes I'm gonna do both. I have a half and a full 3 weeks later. Gonna run the half hard and do the full to finish (it's my first full anyhow so I don't have any set goals for that other than to finish).

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Thanks for your comments ... I am bailing on the 1/2 ... miami report to follow shortly

2012= under-goaled

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Thanks for your comments ... I am bailing on the 1/2 ... miami report to follow shortly
                      Really? Bummer. Even if you don't race it, it'd have been a good opportunity to fine tune your race routine - pre race meal; nutrition on the go; and hyrdation during the race. Being comfortable with those aspects helps with the mental prep for the marathon. An alternative to racing the complete distance is to run the first 10 miles at m-pace then nail it for the final 5k. It's good to pass lots of people at the end of a race and makes up for running slower for 10 miles... Smile Again, a good training stimulus and mental boost.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

If you run it, I would follow RunAsics advice -- easier for 10 and faster on the last 3. Having said that, I wouldn't run it. It is too easy to get sucked into a faster pace and you will pay for it in the marathon. Two weeks is just too soon to be running that many fast miles. You would be better off doing a longer run, with only a few miles at MP. I am a bit of a raceaholic myself and have made this mistake before.
                        Roses Revenge

Have you done a half before? How did you feel two weeks after you finished it? Could you have comfortably done a marathon? That may give you your answer.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!