Maymont Half (Read 685 times)

va

I just noticed, one of our own, kevinyoder, kicked some serious butt in the Maymont Half Marathon in Richmond yesterday, with a 1:22:10 performance, first in age group, and a 5:04 minute improvement PR!!! I think he came in 5th overall!!! Congrats Kevin, what a geat performance!!!

Another Passion

My sister lives about a mile or so away from Maymont. Last Thanksgiving I drug my wife out with me for a "pre-gluttony" (what I thought was) 4 - 5 mile run on Thanksgiving Day and we ended up jogging 9 miles, part of which was through Maymont. Whoops... coulda used a Garmin that day! Big grin Congratulations to Kevin! Awesome race!

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Wicked....1:22 ELITE man! Congrats!
          Thanks, guys. I started writing a report last night but I was too tired. The day started with the alarm going off at 4:05. I thought the extra 5 minutes of sleep would help, but I could have used those 5 minutes later. After a 2+ hour drive and a bathroom break, I parked 2 blocks away with 12 minutes to spare. By the time I picked up my packet and number and dropped the packet off at the car, and jogged to the start (with a stop in the bushes since there were still lines at the porta potties), I had about 3 minutes to spare. At this point I was wishing I had taken a minute to put my contacts in, but I often run without them so I thought no big deal. Within about one minute of the start, most of the front row pretenders I started behind were now behind me, and I could see the 4 guys I’d be chasing following. Since I didn’t have my contacts, I missed most of the small mile markers. When I saw 11:52 at mile 2, I thought oh no, that’s more like 5k pace. It’s a really interesting course, with wide trails, narrow trails, roads, sidewalks, 4 stairways, several bridges (including one wooden bridge with a board sticking up that I almost tripped over with my poor eyesight). By around 5 miles I could feel someone overtaking me. Since I was lonely I ran beside him a little and told him I started too fast. He said he was finally warmed up, and that he had run this course every day for 4 years. I asked and he said he was aiming for 1:20. I briefly entertained thoughts of running with him, but instead encouraged him to run down “red shirt”, who was about ¼ mile ahead at that point. He passed him just after mile 8, on the way up the stairs to the floodwall. From around 7 to 10 miles was the hardest part for me. It included several short steep hills and stair climbs, and I could tell I was slowing significantly. But when I reached a flatter, straight stretch on Robert E. Lee Bridge (this IS Richmond) I could see that I was gaining on “red shirt”. When I saw the 10 mile mark on the bridge I decided I could work hard for another 5k. I caught him before mile 11, and he was nice enough to yell “left” when my poor eyesight and delirium almost took me off the course. I felt him settling in right behind me and it felt like I was carrying him and was barely moving. I managed to keep going and pull away, and I felt great knowing I would easily beat my 1:25 goal. I finished with a smile when I saw the 1:22 on the clock, although I yelled at the announcer that it is pronounced “yohder” not “yahder”.
          Jeffrey

Nice one! No contacts -- must have made it feel like an obstacle course.
              Wow! That's fantastic! I was at Maymont yesterday too, but I was there as a coach. We had two middle schoolers running the 3K at 9am, so I saw some half marathoners finishing then. Then I had to stay all day for my high schoolers, who were running at 2pm. Fun stuff, except for the sunburn on my face and the fact that I really wanted to get in there and run too! I may try the half next year... Congratulations on a ridiculously awesome time!!
                No contacts -- must have made it feel like an obstacle course.
                Smile that's a pretty good description
                  Awesome! - 5:04 WoW! Congrats,Kevin! Cool

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

I could see that I was gaining on “red shirt”. When I saw the 10 mile mark on the bridge I decided I could work hard for another 5k. I caught him before mile 11, and he was nice enough to yell “left” when my poor eyesight and delirium almost took me off the course.
                    That really was a nice gesture, runners is good people. That's a truly impressive effort, congratulations on your excellent result.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Holy Crap you are F-A-S-T!
                      2009: BQ?
                        Holy Crap you are F-A-S-T!
                        Thanks, I really don't see myself that way. But it is amazing to me that I seem to be able to run as fast now, after about 2 years of serious effort, as I could 25 years ago when my best 10k was 38:08. I'm not feeling so bad about being old any more.

Me and my gang in Breck

Great Job! Dame your fast! Good report too!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."