Do you ever run slower than your long run pace? (Read 955 times)

As far as I understand your easy run pace should equal your long run pace. However I really enjoy running even slower occasionally. I find it very restorative and relaxing. How many others do the same on a regular basis?
    mikeymike

My easy run pace is generally much slower than my long run pace and fluctuates a lot depending how I'm feeling. Pretty much any easy run that I do the day after a hard workout or a race is laughably easy.

Runners run

Bruno

I'll second MikeyMike's sentiment. My easy runs are just that amazingly easy more like homerun trot pace Big grin

Lia's Daddy

It totally depends on what my body is telling me. Two nights ago I ran 8.5 at a 9:20 pace. Last night I ran 5.5 at an almost 11:00 pace. I treated last night as a recovery run. I am doing a 20 miler tomorrow so I decided to take it nice and easy because I had some really sore muscles.
          "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
            As far as I understand your easy run pace should equal your long run pace. However I really enjoy running even slower occasionally. I find it very restorative and relaxing. How many others do the same on a regular basis?
            Two things: 1. Yup. Last two days were hard. Today is a rest day but sometimes I'll go out for a couple miles to just shake things out and do a recovery run that's slower than my long or easy runs. 2. If you're enjoying it, do it more. Wink
            Run like you stole something.
            JimR

Long runs aren't always easy. It really depends on the purpose of that particular run and your level of conditioning. If you're just stretching out distance, a la marathon training, you'll probably keep your longest runs easy just so you can cover the distance. If, however, it's more of a bread-and-butter long run that's part of your regular regime, you might push the pace on some of those long runs to build stamina. My longest runs are around 14ish miles right now as I don't often have more than a couple of hours to spare on the weekends, and I might run them easy and I might run them somewhat hard.
                +1. I (actually Pfitzinger) call it "recovery" pace. For me, its anywhere from 10 secs/mile to 60 secs/mile slower than easy/LR pace, depending on the day.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I often run my long runs at a slower pace then my easy pace. Currently my long runs are 10 milers and I purposely slow myself down. Sometimes I catch myself speeding up to my easy pace and even faster on days that I feel really good. BUT often times during one run during the week and my Sunday (long run), I make sure that I'm a full minute or more slower then my easy pace.......been doing some reading on this subject and have seen notable quotes from known names saying things like you cant run too slow on a long training run...and run 2 minutes slower then your race pace on a training run....... I personally think the slower the better sometimes.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

Most of my easy runs are slower, mostly because it takes me 3-4 miles to really loosen up and my recovery runs are usually MUCH slower. Or not. I just dont worry about pace at all on easy days. They are what they are. Long run days I tend to focus a little bit more.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

+1. I (actually Pfitzinger) call it "recovery" pace. For me, its anywhere from 10 secs/mile to 60 secs/mile slower than easy/LR pace, depending on the day.
                      That's a really good idea to log them as recovery, because they are slower than easy. I've started to not even run them with a watch because the time means nothing. Infact I think it's smarter to stop and do some stretching in-way than try to keep a certain pace. Berner you have excellent color choices in your log. I may copy your design. Smile

Bugs

Quite frequently. My long runs are usually a little faster than my easy ones. Not always, but usually.
                          Berner you have excellent color choices in your log. I may copy your design. Smile
                          I confess to putting some thought into the colors. Geeky, I know, but it helps me derive some feedback from the Summary chart. All the workout types go on a spectrum from Red (fastest) to Blue (slowest). Lighter shades of the same color indicate incrementally harder efforts, such as strides or long runs. My whole scheme: Plus, it makes for a diverse, colorful display. Big grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Half Fanatic #846

I'll second MikeyMike's sentiment. My easy runs are just that amazingly easy more like homerun trot pace Big grin
                            I like that terminology - "Homerun Trot Pace". I may use HTP in my log... Wink

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I like that terminology - "Homerun Trot Pace". I may use HTP in my log... Wink
                              I like that terminology too......of course this means David Ortiz HTP not Dustin Pedroia (Pedroia acutally runs his HTP pretty fast)...... When talking to people, I normally call it my 'really stupid slow pace' which is a lot more appropriae to what I probably look like when i am running my slow pace... Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

For me I just really get a kick out of being able to run 3-4 miles with absolutely NO stress. Never out of breath and nothing hurt during the run. Also I usually feel much better after it than I did before it.