XC Flats and Barefoot Running Question (Read 802 times)

I've become pretty interested in the whole barefoot running concept. As much as I love barefoot running, sometimes it's just not ideal. I know the Vibram Five-Fingers are out there. But I was wondering if a light racing flat would function just as well, while looking more like a shoe. Would this be a better alternative than my usual shoes? (I've loved the Brooks Adrenaline line) Or is there still too much cushion in the heel in even these shoes? Any insight would be fantastic. Thanks!

Half Fanatic #846

I wear XC flats for any trail running that I do (and a recent 25K trail race) - you can definitely feel the ground in them compared to normal shoes.  IMHO, nothing functions the same as actually being barefoot - minimalist shoes like XC, Vibram FF, even water shoes, etc.  provide varying degrees of the barefoot effect, some much better than others such as VFF.

I really can't speak to what's better for you - I had some specific goals when I started.  I decided to go barefoot even more because (1) my chronic running injuries went away a few months afterward, (2) it strengthens my feet and legs, and (3) it's very enjoyable.  So that's what works for me.  I still run in shoes sometimes.   

Good luck  and  check out the Barefoot Runners forum too...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Thanks for your input!
        C-R

True XC spikeless flats have very little to them as far as cushioning. I run in the Nike XC Streak and the Saucony Kilkenny and think highly of both. I also run in VFF's.

Not sure what to advise you as each person is different. I don know Eastbay carries the Kilkenny and usually at less than $20. That's a low price to pay to experiment. VFFs will cost you over $60 a pair. If you buy the Kilkenny  size up at least one full size as they tend to run small.

Can't speak too much of barefooting as I have only limited experience.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Half Fanatic #846

Not sure what to advise you as each person is different. I do know Eastbay carries the Kilkenny and usually at less than $20. That's a low price to pay to experiment. VFFs will cost you over $60 a pair. If you buy the Kilkenny  size up at least one full size as they tend to run small.

The last couple of recent Eastbay catalogs I've received didn't have flats - just spikes, but they're probably available online.  I had to size up 1 size too.

One of the apparent advantages of VFFs is that a couple of people I know of that run high mileage in them have gotten well over 1,000 miles on just one pair.

I do all my running now either barefoot or in more minimalist shoes, so what I look for is little to no cushioning, support, or stability in all my shoes, even for work.  This works well for me - YMMV. 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!