corral strategy (Read 512 times)

lap

I have a pace goal of 7 minute miles in next weekend's National Half Marathon. I just received my assignment to the 7:01 - 7:45 corral. Should I stay with my assignment or try to get in the faster corral? Confused I value staying at pace (not too fast) early on, so the slower corral might make sense. On the other hand, I don't want to fight through the crowds in order to settle into my goal pace.
    mikeymike

I think if you line up at the front of your assigned corral it will be just about perfect.

Runners run

DoppleBock

+1

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

I value staying at pace (not too fast) early on, so the slower corral might make sense.
          You know your answer.
          On the other hand, I don't want to fight through the crowds in order to settle into my goal pace.
          This is National, not Marine Corps or Boston. From the front of the 7:01 club, you won't have thousands of people ahead of you trying to trip you or walking 5-wide. Good luck!

lap

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. In my heart I know you're right. I've since learned that there will be some 3:05 marathon pacers (7:03 pace), so if I stick with them for the first half or so, I should be good. Sadly, a piece of my treadmill belt came off 4 miles into a 7 mile tempo run this AM, so I'm starting my taper early.
              Sadly, a piece of my treadmill belt came off 4 miles into a 7 mile tempo run this AM, so I'm starting my taper early.
              My treadmill dyed last week Cry Cry .......at least it waited unti the really bad weather is over so its going into the trash and in late Sept or early Oct I'll finally get a new one..........but it did get me thru the winter.... Already told my wife to get ready --- cause I was planning on buying a really good one this time......... Big grin Big grin Good luck in your Marathon.

Champions are made when no one is watching