One minute walk breaks ? (Read 1760 times)

So I'm trying to do this half on 5/31. My longest before this past weekend had been 8 miles. The plan was to do 9 this past weekend, and 9 again. Then 2 , 10's. Then 11, and hopefully 12. ( running out of time ) Well, I totally bonked. It was about mile 6, and I just started to feel bad. I manged to finish it, but the last 1/2 mile was walking ( or should I say staggering - like a drunk ) It may have been since I did 8 the Saturday before, and that Tuesday I did 7. I had two things working against me. Lead legs, and fatigue, which later turned to nausea and dizziness. So, I completely sucked. I went to the book store and read in a Jeff Galloway book ( not sure which one ) that he recommends a one minute walk break at the start of each mile. Do people really do this? I never walk during a run, other than every once in a blue moon, if I have a bad stitch or something else. But I'm usually just doing 5 or 6 miles. I also went out and bought some energy gu, and a hydration pack so I can bring gatorade with me. I'm ready to drop out, but these walk breaks may be the answer? I'm going to try the 9 again this weekend, and just go easy this week, nothing more than 4 miles at a time. What do you think?

- Anya

JimR

I say do whatever gets you through. Try it, see how it goes. This is new territory for you, it seems by looking at your log. You've done runs to an hour in the past, but pushing up around 1:30, 1:40...it's a long time on your feet when you've not done it before. Bear with it, you will learn to manage it. The thing about increasing distance is, you're always pressing your limits when you do it, and you'll have good runs and you'll have bad runs. I recall some runs I felt like I was running on bowling ball, my feet didn't seem to match what my auto-balancing functions were trying to do. I don't walk on my runs either, but that doesn't mean I won't halt my watch at a stop light and wait for traffic to clear.
        We all have bad days. My run yesterday drained me completely, I think it was the hotter weather, and not enough fluids during the run. The fatigue can cause dizziness as well. I can't comment on scheduled walk breaks as I don't practice that, I'd just walk all the aid stations, and that'll be enough breaks for me. If you did a 9 this weekend, you can definitely finish the half marathon in decent time. I am sure if you can get a couple more 10-11 milers by May 17, you will do just fine. The week before the race, run no more than 4-5 miles/day very easy, take Friday off, and run a easy 2 miler on Saturday, and you will be ready for the race on Sunday.
          I went to the book store and read in a Jeff Galloway book ( not sure which one ) that he recommends a one minute walk break at the start of each mile. Do people really do this?
          Yup. Not sure I'll be using walk breaks at Boston, I'm going to leave that choice up to my brother in law. Until recently, I've used 8 minutes run/1 minute walk for every race of HM distance or greater.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ahh ... the old Gallowalking controversy .... Hard to argue against a Olympic Marathoner ... But. Actually think is a great philosophy if done properley, especially in new runners (look at me talk like I am experienced). But main concept behind galloway is walk before you have to. I think many take it the wrong way and run their "run intervals" too fast and make the walk break a necessity. Last few races I see these runners moving faster than they should (can tell by the heaving breath signs ... 10% into a race) and maybe by the 3rd cycle you see them getting deeper and deeper. I would say these folks are taking the approach the wrong way. Personally I take short walk breaks only to fully drink water/gatorade without drowning myself ... usually 15 - 30 seconds. I Saturdays half mile I took a little longer (probably 45 - 60 secs) at water station around mile 9 - 10 and in my mind at time just drinking slowly but in reality taking too long of break and probably cost me the 30 seconds I missed my 1:55:00 stretch goal. When it came to last water station with 1.5 miles to go decided to truck on through for three reasons: 1. that water/PA was not going to do me any good in the race; 2. the half dozen folks in a group about 30 - 60 seconds ahead all stopped and looked gased so figured better to make that time up now instead of trying to out kick them (past up and stayed ahead of 5 of the 6); 3. I knew if I stopped/slowed I would not want to restart again!! But like others said ... whatever works for you and gets you through. I definetly take a 1 min walk/water break in training usually every 2 - 2.5 miles. So more like a 13 - 1 ratio for me during training??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

mikeymike

Hard to argue against a Olympic Marathoner ...
              Who's arguing with an Olympic marathoner? And which Olympic marathoner are we talking about? But yeah, I've seen run/walk work successfully for plenty of newer runners, most of whom eventually graduate to run/run. BadDawg has, in a short time, gone from run/walk to qualifying for Boston and running 5K's in the 18's.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hard to argue against a Olympic Marathoner
                Olympic marathoner? No. Olympic 10,000m? Yes. Still... hard to argue against a runner of his pedigree.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Olympic marathoner? No. Olympic 10,000m? Yes. Still... hard to argue against a runner of his pedigree.
                  Yeah, but he didn't walk during any of his Olympic runs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yeah, but he didn't walk during any of his Olympic runs.
                    I would have like to have seen him take a walk break during a 10k.

xor

Based on the amount of chop socky this topic has generated over the years, I'd say that it is apparently really easy to argue against it. And for it. Anyway, if you DO go with walk breaks during the race, pretty pretty please pull over to the side of the road before you take that break. Flying Pig and the Twin Cities Marathon are two of my favorite races anywhere, but alas two big memories of those races involve plowing into galloway folks who passed me, got right in front of me, and stopped to walk... causing me to Ole! in one case, and just simply run full speed into the chick in the other case. Sigh.

Jeff Galloway's one minute walk breaks work and especially for a new or under trained runner. I absolutely recommend you use some variation of a run/walk/run program at first -- I certainly do. If you look at my running log, you will see a number of runs that I affectionately refer to as 'Mileage Builder' runs and they all are 10 miles or more and I use the Run/walk/run method for them (thus the name Mileage Builder instead of Easy Run or Long run - since I'm trying to build my mileage). I was trying to build my mileage up quite a few months ago and basically asked this same question and after thinking about it, I decided to program walk breaks and its made a HUGE difference for me. Sometimes I run 4 and walk 1 --- and sometimes I move it up as far as 8R and 1 W == but for any run 10 miles or longer I use some variation of Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk/Run. Also, note that I ran a 1/2 marathon in March and although, I didn't formally program my walk breaks, I now believe it was a major mistake and I should have done so. I think if I had programmed walk breaks in the beginning of my Half Marathon, I probably would have had more strength to finish my HALF. For my next HALF or longer race, I will absolutely program walk breaks. OH YEAH -- Baddawg qualified for Boston this past October using the Run/Walk/Run method....lot of other runners use it... I recommend you do it -- it will make all the difference for you for your coming HALF and will help you finish. The ideas is that you conserve some energy and give your legs some rest in the early part of a long run/race so that you have more energy to complete the race later. Its more then theory -- it works.. I plan to phase it out at some time in the future, but I cant say when (it will be when I can go 14 or 15 without walking and feel reasonable decent after I'm done)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My friend and I ran/walked our first HM in September and had a blast. I had to do it because my training got screwed up when I injured my achilles in early June. I was so hesitant to do it, but it was a great experience. What surprised us was that we ran much faster than our usual pace during the running segments, so that our overall pace was faster than our typical non-stop runs! And we did 1 minute run/1 minute walk, from the very beginning! And yes, SR, we were very conscious of the runners around us and got out of the way each time we walked. It WAS kind of weird playing leap frog with the people around us. We finished at exactly the same time as another (younger) woman who ran the entire way. Having said all that, I'm planning on running my next HM non-stop, but I would not hesitate to recommend the walking breaks. We felt great at the end - not sore at all. Good luck, whatever you decide to do! MTA: This is kind of obvious, but I didn't think about it at first - even though our run/walk TIMES were equal, we actually ran a lot more than half the race, distance-wise. I felt better after someone pointed that out to us!
                            Wow, lots of great advice. Thanks everyone! One of the things I'm worried about is if I stop, I won't be able to start again. I guess I won't know, until I try it. Maybe I should think of it as a "tool" to build my mileage. I am anxious to try again. The other thing I didn't do was eat. But I never do, but I've NEVER gone that far. Maybe I should eat something like a energy bar before. Thanks, You guys always save me!

- Anya

I'm ready to drop out, but these walk breaks may be the answer?
                              Dont drop out -- you can do it ----- do the walk breaks......something like 2R 1W or whatever makes sense...you still have time to figure it out....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Who's arguing with an Olympic marathoner? And which Olympic marathoner are we talking about?
                                Please excuse me for my mistake! The point was with a PR is 2:16 he had a time that was olympic/world class and probably much faster than anyone on these boards.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!