One minute walk breaks ? (Read 1760 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did he run his 2:16 with walk breaks?
    mikeymike

The problem some people have had with Jeff Galloway in the past is his insistence that run/walk was more than just a problem solving strategy for people who had yet to build a really solid base and that ALL runners could benefit, even citing such examples as Bill Rogers stopping to tie his shoe when he had a 2-minute lead in the Boston Marathon as evidence that Gallowalking can help elites run faster times. He has made some pretty ridiculous and/or hypocritical statements to promote his books over the years and these have been the subject of ample debate on running forums and elsewhere and there's really no need to rehash them here. It's actually pretty easy to argue with this kind of nonsense even if you haven't run 2:16 or run in the Olympic 10,000. I just bristle a little when I hear you can't argue with an Olympian. Of course you can. World class athletes are wrong all the time. Sometimes they even say things they know aren't true. They are human afterall. That said, and as I said above, there's nothing wrong with run/walk if that's what gets you through.

Runners run

Ojo

So I'm trying to do this half on 5/31. My longest before this past weekend had been 8 miles. The plan was to do 9 this past weekend, and 9 again. Then 2 , 10's. Then 11, and hopefully 12. ( running out of time ) Well, I totally bonked. It was about mile 6, and I just started to feel bad. I manged to finish it, but the last 1/2 mile was walking ( or should I say staggering - like a drunk ) It may have been since I did 8 the Saturday before, and that Tuesday I did 7. I had two things working against me. Lead legs, and fatigue, which later turned to nausea and dizziness. So, I completely sucked. I went to the book store and read in a Jeff Galloway book ( not sure which one ) that he recommends a one minute walk break at the start of each mile. Do people really do this? I never walk during a run, other than every once in a blue moon, if I have a bad stitch or something else. But I'm usually just doing 5 or 6 miles. I also went out and bought some energy gu, and a hydration pack so I can bring gatorade with me. I'm ready to drop out, but these walk breaks may be the answer? I'm going to try the 9 again this weekend, and just go easy this week, nothing more than 4 miles at a time. What do you think?
        What about walking the water stations? This was recommended to me for my second HM and I took 9 minutes off my time. I still do this towards the end of marathons as it gives me a few seconds to relax some muscles. Just a thought.

Sara

MM #2929

I think mikey is right -- Jeff Galloway tends to contradict himself sometimes and I also have a hard time believing that an elite can improve his times by walking in a race.... BUT In the context of this thread --- will it help Anya -- the answer is (in my opinion) that it will help her A LOT...

Champions are made when no one is watching

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I would have like to have seen him take a walk break during a 10k.
            The key to 10K walk breaks is finishing them just before the starting gun fires.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The key to 10K walk breaks is finishing them just before the starting gun fires.
              That's funny !!

- Anya

Dont drop out -- you can do it ----- do the walk breaks......something like 2R 1W or whatever makes sense...you still have time to figure it out....
                Ok, I'm going to try it again this weekend. I can't believe it was so hard. The run I have maped for this weekend is 9.69 miles. I can totally see how people may do this, and once they are "comfortable" with that distance, they can nix the walking part. I just need to change my view. When I used to run with my old Shepherd, I used to get so impatient when she tried to stop and sniff. ( wish I could take that back now ) I was always telling her, " No stopping! " Too bad she's no longer around!!! She would love the walk breaks!!! Thanks for the encouragment!!!

- Anya

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Anya, Also don't forget that you will have good days and bad days. Maybe you just had a bad day? Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to the run/walk thing. I'd just hate to think you'd assume a bad run, which we all have here and there, is representative of your preparation and abilities.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Lane

Please excuse me for my mistake! The point was with a PR is 2:16 he had a time that was olympic/world class and probably much faster than anyone on these boards.
                    Disregard anything BuckeyeChamp says in favor of my advice. I am much faster than he is, which is apparently the key factor in deciding who to listen to when looking for advice.
                      Ok, I'm going to try it again this weekend. I can't believe it was so hard. The run I have maped for this weekend is 9.69 miles.
                      Anya - Experiment a little with the walk breaks during your runs this week too -- its like everything else -- you ought to try it a few times......just to get the feel of it........ Also - you 'might' want to go to this website ( www.gymboss.com ) and consider buying one of these little timers. Its a double timer in that you can set you intervals. I got one and use it when i am doing my long runs so I dont have to keep looking at my watch and trying to figure out when I'm suppose to walk or run.....They only cost $20 and you can attach them to a wrist watch..... They make the Run/walk/run method a lot easier cause when it beeps/vibrates, you can just switch from running to walking and not be watching your time through a whole run (which get really annoying after a while)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hi y'all. I have run quite a few marathons since 2000. Some with the walk breaks, some without. My fastest marathon of 3:51 was with the walk breaks. My fastest without was 4:04. I'm pretty much a middle aged jogger who runs strictly for fun and health so I'm pretty happy being in the mid to back of the pack. I ran the Georgia ING Marathon last weekend as one of two co-leaders for the 5:30 group. We used a 2/1 run/walk ratio and hit the finish line at 5:30:21. I'm running Oklahoma City at the end of this month and am leaning toward a 4:40 finish. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to use the walk break or not although I'll probably make up mind this week on that subject as I'm getting down to the final preparation. If I do use run/walk it'll either be a 2.5/1 ratio or 3/1 for the race itself. When doing long runs in excess of 13 miles I usually use a 5/1 ratio. The advantages of the run/walk for me is I feel better after the race and recover quicker afterwards than without them. I've never had an injury using run/walk. I'm also not quite so tired during the race itself in the latter miles (18-26). So they work for me in my marathons. I have used them in my 1/2 marathons but only sparingly. My fastest time using run/walk in the half was 1:47; my fastest running without was 1:44. And I don't use them at all in my 5k and 10k races as I can run better without them for those distances. I always advise people to experiment with the run/walk if they are contemplating using it. Some people find they really like it. Others not so much. Best advice I can give you Anya is try it and see what you think. Regardless of which way you decide to run, best of luck.
                        USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

Why is it sideways?

Please excuse me for my mistake! The point was with a PR is 2:16 he had a time that was olympic/world class and probably much faster than anyone on these boards.
                          Much faster, for sure. But mikey is also much, much faster than you. I'm a lot faster than mikey, but I've learned a hell of a lot from him and still consult him publicly and privately about my training because a) he's been at it for a while and b) he cuts through the crap. Are you ready to say that you know more about running a 2:16 marathon than a 2:30 guy just because you read a book once by a guy that ran 2:16? Really? Even though you've never run a marathon? Those 40 seconds per mile are somehow magically the difference between knowing your shit and not knowing your shit? By the way, I think walk breaks are great for many runners.

Lazy idiot

By the way, I think walk breaks are great for many runners.
                            +1 (from a 4:45 marathoning novice)

Tick tock

Anya - Experiment a little with the walk breaks during your runs this week too -- its like everything else -- you ought to try it a few times......just to get the feel of it........ Also - you 'might' want to go to this website ( www.gymboss.com ) and consider buying one of these little timers. Its a double timer in that you can set you intervals. I got one and use it when i am doing my long runs so I dont have to keep looking at my watch and trying to figure out when I'm suppose to walk or run.....They only cost $20 and you can attach them to a wrist watch..... They make the Run/walk/run method a lot easier cause when it beeps/vibrates, you can just switch from running to walking and not be watching your time through a whole run (which get really annoying after a while)...
                              That's so funny, I've been trying to figure out how I was going to manage it. I hate running with a watch, and don't have any "timer" watches. I was just going to look down and try to to it every 10 minutes or so. I can't wait till Saturday to try this again. I'm hoping it goes well. I'm not going to run Friday, and make sure I eat, and drink extra. Come on Saturday !

- Anya

Anya, Also don't forget that you will have good days and bad days. Maybe you just had a bad day? Don't get me wrong - I'm not opposed to the run/walk thing. I'd just hate to think you'd assume a bad run, which we all have here and there, is representative of your preparation and abilities.
                                You may be right. The last time that drunken thing happened to me was 3 years ago when I was doing ( trying to do a 10 miler ) I never tried again until now. I just thought I was in better shape now ?! I've been doing a lot of core work, and when I did the 8 miles the week before, no prolbems at all. I hope you're right.

- Anya