Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Thanks, good luck to you as well. I have no RD experience so this is going to be an interesting (but fun, I think) challenge. I'd love to see it take off in the US.

Good luck with that, it would be good to think every city in the world should have 1. My friend just went to Australia and did the Sydney one whilst over there. I have just volunteered to become a race director so I will get more of an understanding of how it all works if I take on the role. But its expanding, there are new ones being created in UK on a weekly basis, and spreading across the world.

Ran a 20:57 today in the Vermont Corporate Cup.  

I'm a little disappointed, but it is still 4 minutes faster than the last 5k I ran a couple years (and quite a few pounds) ago.  The race was very crowded and I lost about 10 seconds just getting to the start, and I used a lot of energy battling through people over the first mile or so.  When I hit the first mile at 7:10, I knew that it wasn't going to be great.  My three-person team took 2nd place in our category, which was kind of fun, even though first would have been much cooler.

After my marathon in a week, I'll concentrate on doing some more speed work and maybe I can make some progress on this goal.  The immediate question is:  how many miles of backpacking can I do this weekend without impairing my marathon next weekend?

lagwagon

rgilbert...nice run, especially just 10 days after a marathon.  I think with a little more rest, and maybe better pacing, you'll kill it next time. (fwiw, I dont think your splits are too bad...maybe a little sub-optimal but pretty common and very manageable)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Check me in as a graduate: 19:38. (Berkeley Glenn RoadRunner 5K)

I really did not expect this so soon -- especially as my last PR was 21:34 (Feb) (Amnesty International 5K) .

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I really did not expect this so soon -- especially as my last PR was 21:34 (Feb) (Amnesty International 5K) .

Nice...Big mileage, big results!

Sweet!  Congrats on an accomplishment well-earned.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

lagwagon

First 5k in 5 years today.   Finished 21 out of 500.  3rd in age group.  Averaged 6:25 / mile on the garmin.  Came up short.

Official time was 20:19.  Felt great, no major issues.  Long (800m+) hill at mile 2 hit pretty hard.  I think on a flat course I would have had it.

I think I need some more focused workouts...very open to suggestions.  I think I'll formalize my "tempo" runs, which until now have been just occasional progression runs, and get to the track a few times.  Yeah, and maybe some hill repeats too.

All in all, feeling very good about the race.  Its my best since Y2K (!),  which is to say its basically my new PR.  Stoked to claim hardware, which is funny as I never used to care.

Next attempt is June 25....bring it on.

ohiopublic

Ran 20:59 on Saturday. 1st 5k on hilly course 2 weeks ago was 22:43. Think I'm going to get it June 9.

Lazy idiot

Just missed, 20:06.  I'm quite happy with the result, though.  Onward...

Tick tock

Go Pre!

Just missed, 20:06.  I'm quite happy with the result, though.  Onward...

Dude! You'll get it....next ime out!

First real effort is on the 9th June - fingers crossed !!!

2015 Goals:

Sub 18 minute 5km

Sub 38 minute 10km

Break 1,000 miles for the year for the first time ever...

Stay healthy and keep focused

Durst

Hey all,

I ran a PR 20:54 today at the Stone Harbor Turtle Trot. Even though my goal was Sub-20 I am not disappointed. I have slacked off a bit from training mainly because I feel a bit exhausted. It was very hot and humid so that was a little bit of a factor. Plus I gave myself a pretty serious bruise while I was demonstrating hurdling drills for my athletes last week. 

It now looks like Sub-20 will have to wait until the fall. Hopefully the half-marathon training over the summer will assist in my goal. Good luck to everyone who will be attempting Sub-20.

-- Durst

2013 Goals

1600m -- 5:30 (completed -- Penn Relays Corporate DMR 5:30)

5K -- Sub 20

5 Mile -- 32:30

Half-Marathon -- 1:35

Nice racing, everyone. Looks like lots of people are really close.

I've got a 5k coming up on Sunday. I don't know much about it - it's only in its second year and the course map isn't available online so I have only a rough idea of what's in store. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I was rock climbing in KY all last week and didn't run as much as I wanted to - I think I got about 25 miles in, but was hoping for 30-35. Still, lots of other exercise (climbing and hiking), and the running I did manage to do was VERY tough and hilly. Did a tempo-ish run on Tuesday and am doing some 200s tonight after work, then easy runs Friday and Saturday. We'll see how this goes. I think I can get pretty close to 20.

lagwagon

Good luck ellithoe.  Your log shows you hit 20 min for your 3 mile split on a 10 mile race recently, so you probably have a really good shot at it.  the reduced mileage one week before wont make much difference, and may even help if you feel rested and sharp.  Dont line up too far back at the start, and make sure you hit your first split, then hold the pace and you can do it!

I've decided to add a 5k and make another attempt at 20 this Sunday...last race was close and this one should be cooler and flatter, hopefully thats enough.

Good luck ellithoe.  Your log shows you hit 20 min for your 3 mile split on a 10 mile race recently, so you probably have a really good shot at it.  the reduced mileage one week before wont make much difference, and may even help if you feel rested and sharp.  Dont line up too far back at the start, and make sure you hit your first split, then hold the pace and you can do it!

I've decided to add a 5k and make another attempt at 20 this Sunday...last race was close and this one should be cooler and flatter, hopefully thats enough.

Thanks! Yeah, that 3 mile split in the 10 miler was encouraging. The thing is, though, that I find it easier to run 6:50-7:00/mi for 10+ miles than to hold 6:26 for 3. I kind of lack raw speed, I think. I'm going to try to work on that over the summer. Good luck to you as well! Looks like you were very close last time, and you've got some solid mileage behind you, so I think you've got a good shot.