Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Add me currently running 22:23 but only started Sept last year although might not make it this year will try Smile

Alan

2012 Targets:

1:30hrs Continuous running

17.5km in 1:30hr

Half Marathon < 1:50 (PB 1:50:35 - 26/08/12 Pewsey)

10k < 50mins (PB 45:09 - 15/07/12 West Tytherley 10k)

5k < 24mins (PB 22:08 - 16/06/12 Andover Park Run 5km)

Average Weekly Pace < 8min/mile (Current Best 8:02)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This Saturday our community track coach put on a free 5K race in the park.  Having just gotten back from 3 weeks of vacation where I didn't do a single non-easy run, I didn't think I was sharpened enough to beat my mid-May PR of 19:38.  But, when someone offers to host a FREE 5K, you'd be an idiot to turn it down.  And to be honest, when I showed up and only 10 other people where there, I was pretty disappointed.  I think Coach was too.  Sure, there was a popular 4-Miler for Men on Sunday, but where were all the women runners on the beautiful morning?

TwoPack and I toed the line while Coach explained the route, a simple loop on the only near-flat stretch of pavement in town.  It's a river-side trail that I'd run many times when training for my marathon.  In order to facilitate a 5K and a two-mile route (required as a time-trial for those entering the marathon training program), he explained how the over-lapped courses differed.  The 5K ended in a weird way with a 50meter loop around a traffic cone in the parking lot -- which made the last kick hard.  With two hair-pin turns, and one right-angle, it didn't seem like the fastest of courses.  However, flat is hard to come by in town, so at least there's that.

My plan was to be happy with a 2nd sub-20 run: 19:59 would be fine; it would make the 19:38 a non-fluke.  I didn't feel "good" that morning.  I didn't feel "bad".  I kinda felt just "okay", maybe a little dopey/sleepy.  Again, expectations were set accordingly.

With only 10 people in the pack, and TwoPack and I the only men, I figured I might be leading this race.  Knowing the course helped a lot.  I took off at what the 2nd place finisher, a woman named Zen, said was 'slow'.  6:32 by my Garmin.  But the Garmin can't really be trusted because the canopy is pretty thick.  Still, it felt moderately fast and was part of my plan to negative split the whole race.  Still, 6:32 was a bit pokey but my legs didn't really want to give any more that early. I think my legs were still in bed.

Second mile, with the hair-pin loop-back was 6:22.  Okay, certainly better, but I'd need to drop down quite a bit to match my 19:38 time.

The 3rd mile was pretty interesting.  The end of the course makes a right-angle right turn toward the parkinglot for the last tenth of a mile.  However, because I haven't run this trail since the foliage has all returned I kept mus-interpreting when that right turn was happening.  It looks just 50m ahead of me, so I'd rev-up for my end of race kick.  Except, just 10 seconds later I see the 1/2 mile marker on the ground.  (It was the only recognizable distance marker on the entire trail).  A minute after that I think I see the trail head again, and so surge, but again I'm wrong.  This happened a total of 3 times.  Finally, I come out into the clearing, make the sharp left through no-car-beyond-this-point wooden uprights that clip my arm as I lean into the turn.  I pump my arms toward the traffic cone while Coach is shouting, "Under 20! 19:49, 19:50!".  And I think, crap, okay, well at least under 20.  I loop the traffic cone and try to recover my velocity in the last 25m.

"Wow, great job: 19:08!" Coach yells.

What?

Apparently, he was calling out 18:49, 18:50 and just didn't register or hear it correctly.

But hey, who is going to argue with a 30sec PR?

Since Coach wasn't going to be harried by lots of people yearning for his advice, I took this post low-key race to hit him up with my log and solicit a marathon training plan from him.  On the log I'd written down my 5K performances.  He looked at the Feb PR of 21:34, May's 19:38 and today's 19:08 and say, "What the heck is going on with you?!"  That was nice.  It's nice to be on the learning-curve.

Coach wants me to lay-off the speed work at the end of the month.  So a July 4th 5K might be my last real attempt at sub-19.  (Never thought I'd be saying that).  I'm hoping there are people to help me pace it.  Last two races I ran completely alone.  Also, while negative splits are really nice: 10-16 second negative splits sound like a bit much.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Stadjak - Wow, great race and nice write-up. Congratulations. Those splits are solid. You're so close to the sub-19 barrier now. I've said this before, but I am taking a hard look at your log to see what you've been up to. I would love to be in your position by the fall.

As for me, I raced again yesterday after a long-ish run and a day of climbing on Saturday. It was mostly for fun. My boyfriend and a couple friends were running it as well. I ran 21:44, but the course was long (3.14 by my Garmin). My legs were pretty stiff/heavy and I was exhausted so I'm happy enough with this. Now I have a month to prepare for my next race. I would like to be sub-21 at least.

Bushrat Runner

Just dropped in here to dream about being fast enough to push for a sub-20 goal...which is a ways away for me...

Loved the race report Stadjak. Very fun seeing the race through your eyes. Excuse me I have to go train now...

Well I finally got around to running a 5k... The sub-20 goal has been in the back of my mind for a while but with a spring marathon to train for I didn't put the 5k high on the priority list.  So today was a little race that our local running store sponsored.  It was only $10 (+$10 for what turned out to be a great asics T) so I figured why not.  (Oh, and my girlfriend won a free pair of Saucony's in some sort of packet pick-up raffle. I'm not complaining.)

I haven't done anything faster than about a 7:45 in training (although I ran about a 1:40 half in April I think) so I mostly wanted to gauge where I was at. 

I started out quick, about 6:15, and after a mile I was breathing pretty hard, but wasn't feeling like I had to slow up, so I went with it.  A couple rolling hills in the next .5 miles, but then a downhill to the turnaround, then back up.  I think that hill was just enough to slow me down.  Long story short, I finished in 20:21 (Garmin time) but it was a pretty small field and I can't see my chip time being too far off from that.

With some speedwork and a flatter course I'm sure I'll crack it later this fall!

Matt

I ran my 5K this morning - failed in my sub 20 attempt.  Garmin time was 20:21 - I was on pace right up until 4KM but didn't have anything left in the tank - and combined with a hill near the end I was toast.  I have more appreciation now for how hard a sub 20 is going to be...  This was definately a stretch for me given my current fitness but I am glad I tried.  I may make another attempt in November.

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

Getting closer. Had a race last night and ran a 20:41, which I'm happy with. It was really hot/humid and I think this bodes well for fall racing if I stay consistent with my mileage over the next couple of months. Leading up to the race I bumped up to ~40mpw for 3 weeks, then had a forced 'down' week (<20 miles) last week while on a climbing trip. I was worried this would hurt me but I think it actually helped, as I've felt really fresh since getting home. Next race is in mid-August, and I'm hoping for sub 20:30.

Troy.

I got there last night. 19:42 at the Orlando Urban Trail 5k.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Congrats, Coach Troy!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice job Troy!

I haven't had the opportunity to run a 5k since I broke 20 (for the first time ever) back in March.

I did run an 8k race today, which is somewhat comparable, and managed a PR by over a minute - 33:04.  Ran an extremely even race and was very happy with it for a slightly hilly, warm day.  Good to know that I could still get under 20:00 for a 5k!

Now I just need to figure out how to translate this to faster marathons!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

ohiopublic

20:14 Yesterday.  Forgot watch.  Probably would have made it if I knew I was this close.Shit.

Know I can do it now.  Previous best 20:59

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

20:14 Yesterday.  Forgot watch.  Probably would have made it if I knew I was this close.Shit.

Know I can do it now.  Previous best 20:59

quite an improvement.  Looks like you're really close.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

14 seconds is something you can overcome.  You should get it next time, but maybe wear a watch and check those splits!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Great work everyone! Looking forward to seeing many more attempts (and successes) this Fall.

I am going to go for a second sub-20 to measure my fitness after recovering from a stress fracture this Spring. Previously ran a 19:23 in January.

Put me down for the East Nashville Tomato 5k on August 11th. It will be hot and it will be hilly, but I am setting my goal as sub-19:00.

--

Nashville, TN

14 seconds is something you can overcome.  You should get it next time, but maybe wear a watch and check those splits!

+1.  When I finally broke 20 in May, it was 52sec off my PR in one bite.  (I don't count the 20:16, as it came on an obviously short course.)

Get in the right race, run hard, and you'll surprise yourself.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau