How do you do your intervals? (Read 737 times)

I did an interval workout today. The focus was more on varying my usual run than getting faster, maybe that's my problem... Confused I jogged 1/4 mile at 4.5 mph, then ran 1/4 mile at 6.5 mph and repeated that 4x. Is that wrong? My average pace was pretty much the same as when I do my easy runs, even though on my easy runs I alternate between walking and slow jogging (or what I thought was slow jogging but I guess not). How should I be doing them? Should I do the faster running for a longer distance than the slower part? It's easier to keep track of when they're both the same distance, that's all. And do you do them on a track? I had to do it on a treadmill today... I NEED HELP!! Pwetty pwease! Big grin
    rlemert

At the risk of confusing you even more Sad there are different types of intervals that vary in pace, duration, and interval/recovery ratio. My current training schedule has me anything from 10 x 1/1 (10 repeats of one minute interval with one minute recovery) to 4 x 5/2. In general, though, you're trying to develop your anaerobic systems so you want to push anaerobic as much as possible, with just enough recovery to keep going for a longer workout. As a result, I believe your recoveries should take no more time than the preceding interval - and usually should take less time. I generally prefer to do my intervals on the treadmill because it makes sure I maintain the pace I want. On the track I'm too likely to slow down for the later intervals - and go too fast on the earlier ones Angry . For most of us, though, I'm sure the details don't really matter so much as the fact that we're doing this in the first place. We can always sweat the details when we become an elite Roll eyes Big grin .

A Saucy Wench

worry less. as you run more you can fine tune and try different workouts etc. There is no "perfect" way. Just do what works for you for now. When something starts to feel routine, shake it up try a different way. FWIW, yes, my average pace on interval runs tends to be the same or slower than easy runs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

letsrun post on intervals The gist of the post is that most regard intervals as running quite fast/hard, what is considered 'anaerobic', and this would be true if it takes a lot of recovery between intervals (i.e. ~3 or more minutes). The poster here regards intervals as being quite aerobic in nature and designed to simulate the effects of a long slower run or a 'high aerobic' tempo-style run. The idea is you run fairly short intervals segments of around 400 meters but not so fast it takes a few minutes to recovery, instead do them about a tempo pace and a recovery jog of about a minute. You should also be able to do a lot of these so the workout is more like a longish run in time. So the actual harder run sections are quite manageable, you're not gasping for air so to speak neat the end of them but doing each quite comfortably. Overall, your heartrate stays elevated througout, even during the recovery sections but never excessively high. I haven't tried doing intervals in this way but I might incorporate this style come spring to see if/how it works and can I keep restrained enough to do them properly.

Prince of Fatness

You may want to read this thread.

Not at it at all. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I see your profile says you are new to running. Intervals are a great way to get faster, but looking at your log, you may want to concentrate on more miles first. I had a cross country coach who advised no fast stuff until at least 40 miles per week or so. Your mileage may vary (no pun intended), but think of it this way -- intervals are the icing on the cake, but you gotta bake the cake first, through base mileage. As you run more miles, your average "easy" pace will naturally get faster as your aerobic system gets more developed. To answer your questions directly, let's look at your paces: jog 4.5mph = 13:20/mi int 6.5mph = 9:14/mi First of all, average pace for an entire interval workout is a number you don't have to worry about. I sometimes have interval days that average out to being slower than easy days. You recently ran a 5k in 34:19 (on 10/11) @ 11:03/mi. If we plug that race into a running calculator, such as this one using Jack Daniels' formulas, we get Easy pace: 14:00/mi Threshold/Tempo: 11:26/mi Interval: 10:37/mi Reps(short intervals with equal distance recovery): 2:34/400m (10:19/mi) Looking at these suggested paces, it looks like you may be doing your everyday easy runs too fast, and your intervals as well. You currently do a lot of easy runs 11:15~12:00/mi range, which is awfully close to your race pace. Now, since you're new to running, you are probably on the fast part of the improvement curve, where yesterday's race pace seems to become today's easy pace as you run more. But still, I worry you're going too fast every day. Can you sustain a conversation for the duration of your easy runs? If the answer is no, slow down until you can. MY overall advice is to ditch the intervals for now, slow down your easy pace, and run more miles. Running more will make you faster, whether it's in a race, or just your easy pace. And running slower will prevent injury. A lot of slow miles is better than a few fast miles. Don't be afraid to vary the pace to make it interesting, but focus on doing most of your miles at a conversational pace. Good luck!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think FIRST and FOREMOST, you should be VERY VERY VERY cautious. Interval running can be very damaging and many runners end up hurt from running intervals until after they have established a strong and firm base mileage first. Your weekly average is around 12 MPW, so I believe you should NOT be doing interval training YET (of course this is my $.02 - but a lot of good runners in RA will agree with me). I think you should focus your attention on getting your base mileage up to an absolute minimum of 20 MPW for around 12 consecutive weeks (and 30 MPW for 16 weeks would be better)... More mileage at an easy pace will build and improve your strength, which will also improve your speed (its not as sexy, but it works and its safe). It will condition your body for the regors and additional pounding that you will experience while doing interval training. After you have achieved a more solid base, then consider running interval based on your most recent race time. If your read the information at this web site ( http://www.runbayou.com it will probably help you alot. Get your mileage up to a stronger base, and ask this question again in about 15 or 16 weeks....... Again - thats my $.02 - but I ask if there are any other runners out there in RA world that agree with me in this case?????? Shocked Shocked by the way - the www.runbayou.com uses the same formulas that were outlined by Jeff in the above post........I like consistency -- good advice Jeff... Hate to keep going on and on - but I just re-read Jeff's advice and I recommend you look at it very hard, because he laid some great information on you..... Big grin Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hmmm, ok. Seems the consensus is run more, no intervals. Okie dokie. Thanks guys Smile Sorry to be such a n00b and keep asking dopey questions. Cool
                    Hmmm, ok. Seems the consensus is run more, no intervals. Okie dokie. Thanks guys Smile Sorry to be such a n00b and keep asking dopey questions. Cool
                    Dont be sorry -- this is what Running Ahead is for.........Keep asking questions, because there are lots of people here that will give you GREAT advice....and if your new to running you can make LOTs of mistakes until you understand it better........we will keep you correct if you ask.... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue Smile

Champions are made when no one is watching

worry less. as you run more you can fine tune and try different workouts etc. There is no "perfect" way. Just do what works for you for now. When something starts to feel routine, shake it up try a different way. FWIW, yes, my average pace on interval runs tends to be the same or slower than easy runs.
                      Ditto to that!
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09