Where can I get running flats? (Read 1716 times)

she runs like a girl

I'm looking to get new running flats. I train in Mizuno Wave Rider 13s which are as light as my racing flats. I want faster ones now.

I'm looking at Asics Piranha 3s:

Or Mizuno Wave Universe 3:

So Originally I intended to ask which one is better. But now I'm asking where do I find these shoes in my size!!

I wear a ladies six but all the retailers I find tell me these shoes are unisex - so I just subtract 1.5 sizes from men's sizes. Ok that's fine - but no one sells men's size 4.5!!!

Help Sad

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Feeling the growl again

Unless you get lucky, you will have to buy online.  Kelly's Running Warehouse is where I've found the best price.  Physical stores cater to the mass market....which is more interested in fuel belts and motion control shoes than racing flats.  It has been almost 10 years since I spotted a pair of flats I liked in a store.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I found the "Mizuno Wave Universe 3" on RoadRunner Sport's and various other websites, but size 7 is the smallest they show.   

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/MIZ673/

I also did a search for women's racing shoes which did turn up other ones in your size:

Women's Racing Shoes

Maybe you can find a different one that you like?

Prince of Fatness

Holabird and Eastbay are a couple of online sites I have used.  I have bought ASICS flats from both.

Not at it at all. 

Best Present Ever

Our local running store serves the local high school and college runners and will special order anything as well.  I don't know much about racing flats, but they have a whole bunch of them, and the kids who work in the store are mostly current and former athletes, so I assume they know about racing flats.   Wouldn't most decent sized places have a speciality store like that?
            henryc

Seems that the smallest men's size they make is 6 for the asics

Asics America website.

Kimmie:

3!!!?  Do you guys use a different sizing system in Canada?  Or is that the US sizing 3?  Do you happen to know your shoe size in centimeter?  If you do, let me know.  I might be able to help you...

Oh, by the way, did you see the recent Canadian Running magazine?  That's the Drayton article I was talking about.  I got the image of him on the podium and 3 (or 4?) colored photo of him running Fukuoka marathon for them.  If I can get Drayton pictures for CR magazine, I can get racing flats for Little Kimmie who runs like a girl! ;o)

PS: They DO make size 4 (US) for DS Racer and Hyper Speed.  The latter is the one Ryan Hall was wearing at Boston.  They are quite a bit thicker (cushioner) than Piranha but not bad at all.
                  mikeymike

And I see the Hyper Speeds in local specialty running stores all the time.

Runners run

she runs like a girl

Thanks everyone! This was very helpful! I am going to continue looking for the ones I like. I am really leaning toward the mizunos because I am in looove with my wave riders right now!

Nobby, I don't know my shoe size in cm but my Mizuno's say my Japanese size is 22.5. 3 is just the model of the shoes I like. I wear a ladies 6 so in US sizes that's a men's 4.5 Smile

And Yes I did get the Canadian running magazine. It came in the mail today! I'm excited to sit down and read it tonight

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

she runs like a girl

Also, has anyone heard anything about the adidas Adizero line? I see those every where but I have had no luck with Adidas shoes for running but flats for a 5k/10k runner is a different story

Feeling the growl again

Also, has anyone heard anything about the adidas Adizero line? I see those every where but I have had no luck with Adidas shoes for running but flats for a 5k/10k runner is a different story

My Adizeros are okay, they are harder on the feet than the old Cubatos at about the same weight (I treasure my dwindling stockpile of Cubatos like gold).  If you train in Riders, the fit should be OK for you.

I can't speak for everywhere, but the Detroit specialty stores carried virtually no flats and Ann Arbor only carried 2-3 models at any one time.  So far Indy has been terrible, and I expected better from a store owned by Bob Kennedy.

Sad

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Kimmie:

I just checked this site where they sell Japanese running shoes.  They have size 23.0cm for the equivelent of Piranha.  The catch is; with the currency rate, it'll cost something like US$97.  So including shipping, it'll get close to, or over, $100.  This particular model I really like and I have a pair as well.

If you want, I can help you get them.

With adidas, you want to look for adiZero Pro or adiZero CR or adiZero RK (new one).  I just checked but I think the smallest size is 6.

she runs like a girl

I just spoke with a Runner's Den owner in my area. He hosts a lot of the races I go to and helped my bf get sponsored by MIzuno. He has seen me run many times and suggested these:

Brooks Mach 12
                              Brooks Mach 12 spikeless flats

Pretty minimalist which is what I like for racing. The flats I have now are similar weight to my training shoe but I still wear them because of the feel; I love shoes with less support for racing.

They are super light @ 4.9 oz. I have never had luck with Brooks running shoes because of the higher heel but these seem pretty look.

Plus they look sweet! Which is always a bonus and @ $65 bucks a pair it may be worth a try

any thoughts?

Feeling the growl again

I just spoke with a Runner's Den owner in my area. He hosts a lot of the races I go to and helped my bf get sponsored by MIzuno. He has seen me run many times and suggested these:

Brooks Mach 12
                                Brooks Mach 12 spikeless flats

Pretty minimalist which is what I like for racing. The flats I have now are similar weight to my training shoe but I still wear them because of the feel; I love shoes with less support for racing.

They are super light @ 4.9 oz. I have never had luck with Brooks running shoes because of the higher heel but these seem pretty look.

Plus they look sweet! Which is always a bonus and @ $65 bucks a pair it may be worth a try

any thoughts?

Sure are light enough...what's up with the toes?