I know the answer, I just need to hear it... (Read 380 times)

DaBurger

Of course. If you have trouble with that, may I recommend Baboon's excellent advice above, or for your convenience, copied here below. Admittedly this is for the full marathon, but you can apply it to the Half. Just run a good hard 1500 opener, because of halving everything. If you can break 3:30 in the 1500, you will know you are in great shape. Even if not, you can at least try.

I think my bigger challenge is finding a 10 mile race that isn't monstrously hilly, or run in mid-August :P

Know thyself.

Feeling the growl again

I think my bigger challenge is finding a 10 mile race that isn't monstrously hilly, or run in mid-August :P

Not sure why the correlation but pretty accurate.  Always like Run Thru Hell (Hell, MI) but dang hilly.  A month later the Crim (Flint, MI) but typically a sweat sock and apparently drinking the water on the course is now a no-go.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

We have a ten miler -  the Spencer Mountain 10 mile race.  The name says it all

I am kind of into the science cause it helps me determine how I train and get faster.

I know the answer to this without getting into science.

mikeymike

So, you probably don't want to rathole on this any farther, but...

The elites run marathons as close as they can to LT. If that is not LT "coming into play", then what would you call the limiting factor in marathons?

Correct on #1.

Everyone runs marathons as close as they can to their LT. They run as close as they can to their 5k race pace too. It's just that "as close as they can" varies greatly based on fitness. I'd say aerobic endurance is the limiting factor in marathons for everyone in this thread.

Runners run

mikeymike

The first 10 miles of the New Bedford half is great. Problem is when you PR at the 10 mile mark, the next 3.1 kind of suck.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Why is it sideways?

I love it when an epistemological squirmish breaks out. What does it mean to know something? Or to give a full explanation?

Stoshew claims that we don't really know anything until we've traced that knowledge back to fundamental physiology -- the Science.

Mikey claims that fundamental physiology is not the best criterion for knowledge in this case -- instead, it's the practical lived experience of runners and racers. This is referred to by Stoshew as "anecdote."

How to resolve this dispute? We look at the nature of the question: the criterion for what counts as an answer depends on the question that is being asked. In this case, we have a question about appropriate racing strategies. Have racing strategies ever been tested in a physiological laboratory? I am trying to imagine the physiological laboratory that can test racing strategies.

Here's an idea: you could have thousands of people over decades run races, and then measure their relative performance positive splitting, negative splitting, and running even splits under tons of different conditions. That sounds like a pretty good lab. We don't really need to know about what's going on inside of their bodies because the question at stake is a question of racing, not a question of physiology -- moving a body from A to B as quickly as possible. We just need a bunch of bodies and a start and finish line. A stopwatch would be nice. Maybe some fancy "chips" that we could tie to shoes.

Instead of scientists, who are prone to jargon that can sometimes impede inquiry outside their field, we could just give the job of analysis to those weird, old bone-legged, crow-eyed runners who seem to show up at each of these experiments.  This is their field after all. They could just watch over a few years, Try it themselves hundreds of times, talk to their friends, check out the race results, and then draw conclusions.

Maybe Stoshew is right -- maybe the scientific method is the best criterion for knowledge. He's just misidentified the correct laboratory for inquiring into the fact.

mikeymike

epistemological squirmish

My dude!!

Runners run

xhristopher

Off the top of my head...

Old Fashioned 10 Miler in Foxboro. Flat, competitive, and in February.

Black Cat 10 Miler in Salem. Gently rolling, reasonably fast, sometimes competitive, and in March.

those weird, old bone-legged, crow-eyed runners

*SWOON!*

I love it when an epistemological squirmish breaks out. What does it mean to know something? Or to give a full explanation?

Stoshew claims that we don't really know anything until we've traced that knowledge back to fundamental physiology -- the Science.

Mikey claims that fundamental physiology is not the best criterion for knowledge in this case -- instead, it's the practical lived experience of runners and racers. This is referred to by Stoshew as "anecdote."

How to resolve this dispute? We look at the nature of the question: the criterion for what counts as an answer depends on the question that is being asked. In this case, we have a question about appropriate racing strategies. Have racing strategies ever been tested in a physiological laboratory? I am trying to imagine the physiological laboratory that can test racing strategies.

Here's an idea: you could have thousands of people over decades run races, and then measure their relative performance positive splitting, negative splitting, and running even splits under tons of different conditions. That sounds like a pretty good lab. We don't really need to know about what's going on inside of their bodies because the question at stake is a question of racing, not a question of physiology -- moving a body from A to B as quickly as possible. We just need a bunch of bodies and a start and finish line. A stopwatch would be nice. Maybe some fancy "chips" that we could tie to shoes.

Instead of scientists, who are prone to jargon that can sometimes impede inquiry outside their field, we could just give the job of analysis to those weird, old bone-legged, crow-eyed runners who seem to show up at each of these experiments.  This is their field after all. They could just watch over a few years, Try it themselves hundreds of times, talk to their friends, check out the race results, and then draw conclusions.

Maybe Stoshew is right -- maybe the scientific method is the best criterion for knowledge. He's just misidentified the correct laboratory for inquiring into the fact.

Smarts vs. wisdom?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

mikeymike

Smarts vs. wisdom?

Wait.

Who are you calling "smarts" and who are you calling "wisdom" in this false dichotomy? I need to know how to be offended.

Runners run

kilkee

runktrun

karl knausgaard?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Kalsarikännit

No need to get into arguments!

Nonsense. Back in the olden days, when we used to walk two miles, uphill both ways just to get on RA, arguments were frequent, grand, and glorious (I'm sure one of the RA archivists could come up with some great examples of knock-down drag-outs).  They were tremendously entertaining.  For example, a simple mention that women who wear running skirt are less interested in being competitive and more interested in how they look on their 17 min/mi shuffle, would lead to countless pages of screeching and throwing of pre-jog mascara wands.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart