Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I'm sorry.  Presumably she's going to be trying to find a position somewhere, right?  Perhaps you can follow her there?  Or is she retiring or moving?

Nah, she was on maternity leave and needed to find someone to take over the practice to run it until she wanted to come back.  Her other full-time osteopath (who I'd been seeing in her absence) has also just gone on maternity leave, so that left her with one part-time junior osteopath and no-one to run the practice day-to-day.

She'll probably go back into practice at some point, but she's got 1 year old twins so I'd say that's at least a year or two away.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Great comment - I'm so over seeing anyone who thinks we shouldn't be cowering in fear in our homes or showing concern about the economy (which clearly impacts health) being accused of wishing death on old people.  Seems a lot of people are easily brainwashed.

We literally had a lady cowering from our group of 4 last sunday as we ran past her.

This with 1 active case in the whole country !!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

No more GAP either.

I used that Training Log feature from time to time but very rarely. And, yes, I do not see GAP anymore but I think it was wrong anyway - 45ft incline would slow me down 20-25 seconds but Strava would say it slows me down maybe 5 seconds per mile.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

watsonc123

We literally had a lady cowering from our group of 4 last sunday as we ran past her.

Are you sure her fear was related to COVID-19?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

I’ve seen this quite a bit too. There’s still a lot of fear in people’s heads. Rationally, if people are still afraid they should just stay at home, of course but fear does weird things to people.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson wins comment of the day

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Possibly my body odours 

Marky_Mark_17

watson wins comment of the day

+1

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - I originally did the same thing as you're saying: I avoided weaving in and out at all costs, and often just ran on the wrong side of the road in Central Park. I was terrified that even passing someone was gonna lead me to a overrun hospital. However, so much research has come out indicating there is little to no risk of transmitting this thing outdoors, especially when your interaction with somebody is just passing by them. I do try to give people space: moreso out of respect for other people's desires than my own concern, because I think a large percentage of people still believe runners are going to give them COVID.

The ultimate case study of this will be the protests. If there isn't a big spike in cases by the end of June, then that should seal the deal that it's almost impossible to catch COVID outdoors during the summer. It already shouldn't be much of a concern given how many more people are going outside than they were a month ago, and yet case counts continue to plummet, at least here in NYC.

Hopefully that was a neutral enough statement that trigger happy Trent won't come storming in here saying I hate all grandmas and wish death upon them with that statement 

I actually agree with all of this - I haven't been particularly concerned about picking something up while running (except for the one time about a month ago when an @sshole thought he was being funny by lunging at me while coughing).  It's not like there are floating clouds of COVID hovering invisibly in the air, ready to infect me as soon as they touch my skin.

But....things have been very tense here, with runners being a particular flash point for angry debate in my immediate area.  If I can modify my behavior a bit to do my part to avoid adding to the conflict, I will. 

Additionally, the rules in my area are that we are supposed to maintain 6 feet plus of space when outside.  Even if I personally think it's fine to pass close to people for a moment, that's not what the rules say.   And I'm going to abide by the guidance we are given, rather than make up my own set of rules based on my interpretation of all the studies, etc.

(note that I don't consider wearing a mask while running to be a "small modification to avoid adding to the conflict."  I am very grateful that we are now officially excluded from that requirement.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

watsonc123

Question for Darkwave - Adiós 4 v Takumi Sens 5.  Specifically for racing, and over which distance, which is better.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Question for Darkwave - Adiós 4 v Takumi Sens 5.  Specifically for racing, and over which distance, which is better.

For myself, Takumi Sen up to 5K, Adios for anything longer.

Has less to do with the lightness of the shoe, and more to do with where the Boost is located.  In the Takumi Sen the boost is in the forefoot, while in the Adios it's more in the heel.  For 5K and under I tend to strike further forward on my foot, so I like the boost in the forefoot.  For further than 5K, I strike further back towards my heel, so I prefer the Adios.

If you have a different striking pattern with your foot, i.e. forefoot strike even at longer distances, you might like the Takumi Sen for further than 5K.  At the same time, some people find the lightness of the Takumi Sen limiting once they get up to a certain distance.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JamesD

JamesD

Another reasonably good week.  I did Tuesday’s recovery run in a different park with a ~3k loop.  Mostly wanted a change of scenery, but I also wanted to see if it might be a good option on days after rain when my current route by the creek is muddy.  (When it’s actually raining, I can just run on the normal path, as there won’t be anyone too close.)  The new park was visually interesting, especially at the spot where I ran several times through a flock of about 15 Canada geese honking loudly.  When they’re on the ground, they look big.  There were enough turns and tiny hills and changes of surface to vary the stresses, but not enough long straight segments to make it good for a long or a fast run.  I twisted an ankle fairly badly and felt lucky when I finished the run ok and it got better after a couple of days.  

My short tempo on Friday was a few seconds/mile slower than two weeks ago, and I faded, but that may have been because it was warm (TDP 152, strong sun) and I hadn’t slept well the night before.  Otherwise, I seem to be a bit more acclimated to the heat, and my legs aren’t as tired as they were last week.    

Sun - off

Mon - 12 miles easy

Tues - 7.5 easy in different park, twisted right ankle

Weds - 10.6 easy, ankle hurt some

Thurs - off

Fri - 6.1 track including 2.5 @ 6:21/mile

Sat - 7.7 easy

Total - about 43.9 miles

12/26/52-week averages - 42/41/36 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JamesD

JamesD

Forgot to mention that our local running association did put on its 5K this morning, though the course was moved yesterday, I think because of a demonstration near the planned route.  There were 196 finishers, down from 267 last year but still a pretty good turnout for a local 5K.  20 people at a time, standing 6 feet apart, started every 10 minutes beginning at 7am.  There wasn't any organized effort to have the few sub-20 people start together, though about half of them did start at either 7 or 7:10, and I may suggest that they do that next time.  For me, unless I start with a few people that I'll be able to see for the first mile or so, there's not much difference between this kind of race and a solo time trial.  The next race is a 5-miler in four weeks.  Not sure if I want to do that - our state has mostly opened up but still has a pretty high number of new covid cases each day, and we're still having about 25 people die every day (population 10m).  Also, my base training is going well.  May wait to see how things look for the early-September 10K I ran last year.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James good to hear racing is starting in one form or another. And good your ankle recovered. I find trail is where I'm likely to roll over on mine and then it becomes more vulnerable.

Watson I've had a few Adios but only versions 2 and 3. They were always solid performers for faster longruns. Lightish and firmish but very comfortable. I'm still to try the Takumis. May have a crack this week. I'm hoping they will be good and fast for up to halfs.

Good week for me 87kms. My calf is about 95%. I get the odd tightness but rarely. My other leg the Achilles is getting a little sore.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice mileage!

Watson - saw you did a club race yesterday, hope it was fun!  I think that makes you the first person on this thread to have a race (non-TT) since lockdown began.

James - nice week again, hope that ankle isn't anything major.

Me - a bit of Strava chat turned into an invite to join Nick Moore and Dion O'Neale for a Sunday long run with 1km at MP / 1km off.  It was a good workout and nice to have some company.  They are both really good Masters runners and ~2:40 marathoners - Dion actually placed 3rd at Hawkes Bay last year with a 2:38 on a flat-but-not-fast course.  The MP segments actually ended up 5-10s/km quicker than MP, Nick was feeling good and pushed it a bit and so I worked to try and keep up with him.  I was definitely feeling it by the last couple of repeats (having already done a couple of decent workouts this week!) but it was nice to get a good long workout in the bag.

Right hip was really niggly on Wed/Thurs but seems to have come right now.  I'm trying a new osteopath tomorrow so we'll see what she thinks.

Weekly for period: From: 01/06/2020 To 07/06/2020

Date Name Distance
                                in km
                                Duration Avg Pace
                                per km
                                Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                02/06/2020 Let’s never be apart for this long again, Tamaki Drive 14.34 01:06:35 04:39 54
                                03/06/2020 A little bit of MP and a little bit of fog 15.18 01:04:48 04:16 81
                                04/06/2020 Easy breezy 11.02 00:53:03 04:49 146
                                05/06/2020 Putting in the work 15.04 01:01:53 04:07 83
                                06/06/2020 Felt best on this run while doing hill sprints 🤷‍♂️ 10.66 00:50:24 04:44 196
                                07/06/2020 1km on (MP), 1km off with Dion and Nick 26.98 01:48:25 04:01 43

Total distance: 93.22km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"