Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So maybe I need to clarify a bit.

Having put myself through 4 different intense marathon cycles, I have a good internal sense of the different levels of quitting. I have bailed on many workouts in those buildups because I said "I'm just running myself into the damn ground right now." However, right now I'm quitting when things are getting painful, even though my paces are not necessarily slowing down.

To give an example, if I'm targeting 5:45 mile split for a threshold workout, I can literally run a 5:43 on my third rep and say "this is too difficult, I'm shutting it down." In my marathon buildups, I would at least wait until I started seeing paces slipping, and then quit, because my view has always been that if your effort feels right but you're 5+ seconds slow of where you need to be, you're not doing yourself any justice by continuing the workout. Right now, it's just "this is hard, I'm stopping." That to me should be trained through. I think I've just sort of forgotten what workouts are supposed to feel like.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So maybe I need to clarify a bit.

Having put myself through 4 different intense marathon cycles, I have a good internal sense of the different levels of quitting. I have bailed on many workouts in those buildups because I said "I'm just running myself into the damn ground right now." However, right now I'm quitting when things are getting painful, even though my paces are not necessarily slowing down.

To give an example, if I'm targeting 5:45 mile split for a threshold workout, I can literally run a 5:43 on my third rep and say "this is too difficult, I'm shutting it down." In my marathon buildups, I would at least wait until I started seeing paces slipping, and then quit, because my view has always been that if your effort feels right but you're 5+ seconds slow of where you need to be, you're not doing yourself any justice by continuing the workout. Right now, it's just "this is hard, I'm stopping." That to me should be trained through. I think I've just sort of forgotten what workouts are supposed to feel like.

Ah, got it.  Yeah, I agree with that.

The question I always ask myself during a workout is: "is this mental suffering or physical struggle?"  Even though I don't check paces when I run, I can tell when I'm starting to physically struggle - form gets ragged, can't unclench my fists, etc.  When that happens, I shut it down.

If I'm just mentally whining about how hard it is, well, that's when I keep going, with a big dose of "shut up" to myself.

Seems that's pretty much aligned with you.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - LOL it’s so fun when Mark names all the guys participating in the race, who’s behind, who’s in front.

A stark contrast to our race reports where we call them guy in red singlet, guy with the man bun, etc.

You should not dig too deep in workouts, period! Also, you specifically is starting to hit a certain age where it’s very not advisable to do that.

Workouts should be comfortably hard, never race hard. You hit race paces but it’s for a shorter period, so it’s not as hard as a race.

Think of it like this. You can only have a drink so many times in life. We are smart and drink once every week, every 2 weeks, once a month.

Somebody else drinks 2 bottles of wine per day, it will soon be a problem.

Likewise with training, you can only go to the well so many times before it comes back dry. And you should only go to the well during races.

Most likely you’re running workouts too hard for your current fitness. Just back off the pace a little for a few weeks and you will come back stronger. The mind can't go beyond the limits of the body  Also, sometimes you need to go for easier tasks to recover confidence.

I agree with you that the 10K is an excellent choice for this time trial.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio good analogy. I have found as I get older some workouts are too much for me and leave me shattered.

Probably trying to run them too fast based on current fitness too.

Did you guys see Calsbear has run 2 x 26 mile runs this week 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio good analogy. I have found as I get older some workouts are too much for me and leave me shattered.

Probably trying to run them too fast based on current fitness too.

I think it's just that the older you get, the less margin for error, due to how much harder recovery is.    High school kids can overshoot their training by a mile, and bounce back fairly easily and still improve.  But that magical recovery eases a bit every year.

One of the biggest mistakes I see in some of my age group peers is that they insist on training as if they were in their teens and 20s or even early 30s, both in terms of paces (especially easy day pace) and in terms of training structure.  They just can't accept that what their body needs and can handle is a moving target.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I got some information on Facebook about Parkrun New Zealand possibly opening july 4th.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I got some information on Facebook about Parkrun New Zealand possibly opening july 4th.

What better way to celebrate American Independence Day! 

Took advantage of some really good weather that came in courtesy of a cold front on Tuesday to do a 5k (ok, 5,000m track) TT today. Result: 19:12. The first km (3:49) seemed a bit soft, and while it felt like I picked up the effort for the next few the clock says that wasn't the case (:49, :51, :53). It felt like I was going even slower for the last km despite trying to hold on, but it was actually pretty decent (relative to what I perceived) at 3:50.

I don't know that I could really expect anything faster with only a handful of workouts in the past 3+ months, but I have a good data point by which to judge going forwards.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - the question is, how bad was the suck in the last KM?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - the question is, how bad was the suck in the last KM?

Not as bad as it could have been, which I think was a combo of being out of touch with race feel, lack of workouts, and it being a solo effort.

Looking back at the data my HR actually dropped from a peak of 185 after 4k to 174 with 300m to go (then rising back to 178 to finish).

Add in some race day magic along with similar weather and a good course and I think I could probably take down my road race PR (18:54). Still a good ways away from my last TT, though (18:25).

Upcoming Races:

?

Keen that's a good hit out without speedwork. Kudos for giving it a go.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen that's a good hit out without speedwork. Kudos for giving it a go.

Thanks.

I totally cherry picked the weather for this one. It's doubtful the weather will be this good here again until at least mid-October!

Upcoming Races:

?

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - that's good news on Parkrun.  Hobsonville Pt won't be able to start up again until Bomb Point is reopened though which won't be until August.  I might go up to Orewa and do Parkrun up there as I know a lot of guys that run it regularly.

Keen - nice job especially with no specific prep!

Cal's efforts this week blow my mind a bit... incredible.

I'm running a 10,000m tomorrow night with some of the Owairaka guys.  Not sure how it'll go, depends who shows up and how hard they go, but should be a bit of fun and a nice chance to stretch the legs.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark oh cool on the 10 000m will be a good marker to check your fitness.

Ok Calsbear ran his 3rd 26 miler this week. I'm betting on one more so he gets over the 100 mile mark.

watsonc123

And we have had an actual race on this forum!

Our club Mad Dash cross country relay.  I had it at 1.04km which I did in 4:04 watch time.  Flat on grass with two stream crossings.

First time since last July running in cross country shoes.

Our team really stuffed up our lap times, so my official was 3:48 (I didn't realize until I looked at Strava a few hours later).

We have our club handicap cross country of 6km next Saturday.  The handicap is based off today, so I don't be winning the handicap race!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Nice job Watson.

I ran 32:57 in the 10,000m race tonight. Conditions were ok but a bit of wind around. It was really nice to have a good rust buster and it was my 2nd fastest 10k ever. I didn’t totally max out and could’ve probably pushed the last 2 laps a bit harder but didn’t want to go nuts after 3 months of no races in what was really just a group time trial.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"