Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

kimba

Have any of you had burning on the balls of your feet with new shoes?  I just got a new pair of Mizuno Wave Sky wave knit, same model as my previous pair which I loved, and the balls of my feet burn like hell when I wear them!  Nothing else different, and other shoes I still wear now don’t burn my feet.  I don’t get it and I’m really disappointed as I loved my previous pair :-(

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW, definitely no shame in going slow. And conversely, no heroism in going fast when it's not warranted.  In fact, if I boast to any of my running friends, I'm usually boasting about a run wherein I actually maintained the prescribed slower pace!  That's more noteworthy for me given my history of being an idiot and blowing my load early.   And I agree with you about outcomes yielded with time-focus vs. competition-focus.  But, just because you're right about it doesn't mean I do the right thing!  Lol.  I often go into a race thinking I'm going to race other people vs. race myself, but it rarely ends that way.  I'm just not disciplined enough.  And as I said, I can rationalize any outcome, including getting beat by people because I made a stupid mistake.  My main rationalization is that no one really cares about my result except for me, and I'm not a professional runner so my job security isn't dependent upon my race times, so if I want to be undisciplined, make stupid mistakes, and have sub-par long distance race times, so be it!  Don't get me wrong, I wish I could be more disciplined; but at the end of the day I just love to run and physically push my limits, so that's what motivates me more.

Good luck in your upcoming race!  I can see that you really love to compete, so I hope it's not canceled at the last minute so you can burn those competitive juices!

And that's honestly what I think is most important.  You can have the best training structure in the world, but if you don't enjoy it, you will likely not respond.    I honestly feel that it's very important that the joy remain in your training if you are going to perform your best.  And sometimes that means doing things in a way that is not classically optimal, but works for you.

James D - I agree with Jmac - if I'm driving, I like to do it as early as possible.  And for the really important or far races, I usually do it two days before.  FWIW, I actually find driving easier than being driven, for some reason.  I think I'm just slightly more active, and thus less stiff.

Kimba - Re: shoes - could they be too tight in the toebox?  Burning in the balls of the foot sounds like it could be a nerve compression from the metatarsals getting squeezed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kimba

That’s what I thought at first, DW, and loosened the laces - no help.  And the thing that’s weird is that the other pair that is the same exact model cause zero problems!  So annoying.  I almost feel like my foot is sliding around and the friction is causing it.  I just can’t figure why it would be different in this pair vs. my other pair.  My next idea to fix it is to get those forefoot no -slip pads like you get for high heels and see if they help.  But I will take any and all suggestions from anyone who has experienced this!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

shouldbedeleted

DW - Yeah, possibly, but it’s weird cause I never had this kind of niggle, so I better watch out.

Kimba - My strategy is to always start very fast until eventually I’m faster enough that it becomes a negative split 

Kimba are they the same model and version ? Each model normally tweaks with a new version each year which can ruin a shoe. Check for reviews online of that exact model and version and you may find others having similar issues.

Mizuno is not that popular with runners although I think Mark has experience with them.

To me it sounds like they are too stiff.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Kimba - I used to run in Mizuno quite a lot.  I didn't really notice it at the time but after switching to mainly Saucony I do find the Mizuno's quite rigid relative to other shoes.

The main reason I stopped running in Mizuno was the Wave Inspire 12.  I loved the Wave Inspire 11 but the 12 was like a completely different shoe.  I'm only saying this to demonstrate the fact that they have in the past made pretty drastic changes to the same model of shoe.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

kimba - great to see you back and nice work on the website.

flavio - Sounds very similar to what I had a few weeks ago.  I needed a day or 2 off and then a week or 2 of easy running and that seems to have sorted it out.  I had a similar issue last year and didn't take a day off when I should have and it cost me 3 months.  You might get away with just easy running.

On the photo of piwi I understand obviously that all of our races are smaller than in the States, but is that really an unusual photo of the leading pack in a small mid-winter park run?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve -I just realized something. The lack of racing this year means you got off easy as thread leader. We may need to extend your reign. I don't like that I had to put in so much work and you get to slack off as my heir.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

One of the benefits of being thread leader is I get to make decisions like that....I'm leaning towards nominating you.  What else will you have to do at 3am after changing a nappy?

And I've had to put in significant work googling each event and updating them to cancelled...very time consuming.

2024 Races:

kimba

Kimba are they the same model and version ? Each model normally tweaks with a new version each year which can ruin a shoe. Check for reviews online of that exact model and version and you may find others having similar issues.

Mizuno is not that popular with runners although I think Mark has experience with them.

To me it sounds like they are too stiff.

Yes, same model and version, just a different color.

kimba

But possibly the insert on the new shoe does feel more slippery.  Sometimes different color fabrics can have slight differences in texture.  I’ll try swapping out the inserts and see if that helps....

JamesD

JamesD

On the photo of piwi I understand obviously that all of our races are smaller than in the States, but is that really an unusual photo of the leading pack in a small mid-winter park run?

"in the States" covers a huge range of running communities, some much larger and faster than others.  Our metro area has 300K people, and I would be surprised and delighted to see that many people running Piwi's speed in any but the largest of our races.  Our last several races have averaged maybe 6 people under 20 for 5K (or comparable times for other distances), and some of them didn't have any.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

"in the States" covers a huge range of running communities, some much larger and faster than others.  Our metro area has 300K people, and I would be surprised and delighted to see that many people running Piwi's speed in any but the largest of our races.  Our last several races have averaged maybe 6 people under 20 for 5K (or comparable times for other distances), and some of them didn't have any.

Fair point.  I didn't want to say New York and offend other states...I know the US is basically 50 countries with the vast majority much more populated than NZ.  I agree, that particular Park Run does attract some good runners - in piwis race there were 15 sub 20 and Christchurch is a similar size to where you live.

2024 Races:

watsonc123

James - I would drive earlier if you can.  If not, do what you need for a good sleep.  I would not run on the Friday.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Yes, same model and version, just a different color.

OK that is weird then!  I assumed it was a new version.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"