Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everyone just had to talk about NZ making it 100 days. You don't talk to a pitcher in the 9th inning of a no hitter and whatever that translates to in Kiwi. Someone just had to mess it up for everyone......

It's like the Sports Illustrated cover jinx.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Apparently (if our questionable news media can be believed) one of the affected workers went into two workplaces while symptomatic.

I mean, how f%$king stupid / selfish can you be.

If he infected someone in one of those workplaces, and they have to miss a race, well no punishment is too great.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - no need to feel guilty for feeling selfish about this. You guys had your lives back in order and now the rug is being pulled out from you again. That's almost worse the US: at least here, I know that we're in for a terrible ride until at least spring/summer of 21. USA! USA! USA!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

TBH, I'm not really coping well with the news.  It sounds selfish but one of my first reactions was, oh crap, big question mark over the marathon in 7 weeks.  Work is tough going at the moment - it's always a demanding environment but it's been more stressful of late - and working towards the marathon has been one thing really keeping me going.  Now I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

yeah, exactly why my motivation is close to 0 - we won't have marathons at least until Spring 2021, I am pretty positive about it. So, any heavy training at some point started to look and feel so stupid...

Meanwhile, in Russia they are running with no problems - and they have more than 4 cases per day Smile - actually they have something like 5,000 cases per day...

Half marathon in Saint Petersburg, Russia - 08/09/2020

One of the guys mentioned in the article that he ran half marathon in Moscow the week before...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

watsonc123

Rotorua is still over 6 weeks away.  So there's a chance of it still happening.  Note that one of the people who tested positive traveled to Rotorua!

I'll be ok if Rotorua is cancelled, but really want it to be level 2, so should still be able to holiday there.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure this weekends Wellington Cross Country will be cancelled.  There's no way Level 2 outside of Auckland will drop down to Level 1 for the weekend.

I've had a cold recently, I'm pretty sure it was just a cold, but I COULD have been a spreader.  I think I might get a Covid-19 test for it, just to be sure - I still had taste and smell throughout my cold.

Steve's comments on 99.99% being minor symptoms is wrong:

- Let's say that the 744,450 deaths is all the deaths.  So none have been missed, which is highly unlikely in places such as Brazil.

- Let's say that it is minor if you don't die.  So even if you end up on life support, are permanently impacted etc. it's just minor.

- Then that would mean that 7.4 billion people have already been infected.  Which is 95% of the worlds population.  If the infection level was this high, and assuming a person gets immunity for one or more years, then the we'd see infection numbers per day dramatically falling right now.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I added at least one decimal point for effect.  The percentage of people actually sick enough for hospital or worse is absolutely minuscule.

But we don't want this thread going the same way as other threads...so we better stick to the races that aren't happening!

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Rotorua is still over 6 weeks away.  So there's a chance of it still happening.  Note that one of the people who tested positive traveled to Rotorua!

I'll be ok if Rotorua is cancelled, but really want it to be level 2, so should still be able to holiday there.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure this weekends Wellington Cross Country will be cancelled.  There's no way Level 2 outside of Auckland will drop down to Level 1 for the weekend.

I've had a cold recently, I'm pretty sure it was just a cold, but I COULD have been a spreader.  I think I might get a Covid-19 test for it, just to be sure - I still had taste and smell throughout my cold.

Steve's comments on 99.99% being minor symptoms is wrong:

- Let's say that the 744,450 deaths is all the deaths.  So none have been missed, which is highly unlikely in places such as Brazil.

- Let's say that it is minor if you don't die.  So even if you end up on life support, are permanently impacted etc. it's just minor.

- Then that would mean that 7.4 billion people have already been infected.  Which is 95% of the worlds population.  If the infection level was this high, and assuming a person gets immunity for one or more years, then the we'd see infection numbers per day dramatically falling right now.

1. I'd say Rotorua's gone from 90% likely to 60-70%.  Possibly lower depending how the next few days pan out.  I'd say Mt. Maunganui Half is more like 30%, unless the transmission can be identified very quickly.  Lockdowns have tended to go in blocks of two weeks so it's pretty unlikely that everything will be back to normal in 2.5 weeks time (cf. 6.5 weeks until Rotorua).

2. I won't be fine with it!  Plan C for a marathon for me becomes increasingly problematic (and frustrating).  The only feasible option left this year would be Auckland, which is only a week before National Road Champs.

3. Probably, but not certainly.  Those type of events, where there are a series of age-grade races with relatively small numbers in each, could be held without hitting the 100 cap if they allow for enough time for people to arrive, run their race, and leave before the next one.

4. Just get a test.  It's probably just a cold but you might as well.

5. Best left for the Covid Wild West thread.  I quite like this thread not locked.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

1. I think 60-70% is about right.

2. I realize your year has been way different to me.  I'm pretty much pleased to be able to run at a reasonable pace given my injury.  If I'd had a big marathon cycle, I'd been extremely disappointed.

3. Wellington Cross Country has way more than 100 at the event.  There's around 100 men, 100 woman, lots of juniors, spectators, marshals etc.  There's no way it happen at Level 2.

4. You're right, I should get the test.

5. I'm just being factual about the percentage stated.  Governments all over the world are making really hard decisions, where every decision is "wrong" in some sense, so I only will criticize things that are blatantly wrong, such as some people stating it's a hoax.

I also started today, I got my contract changed to start today.  So I was able to go in and get my laptop, monitor and swipe card.  I don't have my log in sorted yet, but I have enough work to do for now where I don't need to log in, just using my personal laptop.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

This evenings run included four strides.  Near the end of my last stride, there was this guy who put up his hand and said "excuse me", so I stop my last stride thinking he might be lost or have some sort of problem, and then "by any chance do you have a lighter?"!  I grumpily said "no" and carried on running.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - I took a soccer ball to the head once which knocked me down. It was all fun but I did have the ball hexagons printed on my face for a couple of hours.

Jmac - Do you know what’s even better to time trial? The 1500 and the mile. See, that was a rhyme, I hope you found a smile.

Steve - I was full on lockdown-team until the government told me I could not run outside and made me lose 2 months of training due to a stupid rule  I’m more on your side of the fence right now.

Kiwis - You guys need to realize how incredible it was that you were Covid free when the disease was at its worst.

The disease is a lot more manageable now than back in March. There's a lot more knowledge and medicine. Doctors know now how to handle the disease effects and avoid total body collapse.

Simple things like turning the patient face down to improve their breathing are making great strides in hospitals.

It sucks it might be coming in, but you should be alright 

Watson - Somebody asked for information during my run today. I grunted in his direction and made a sign with my arms pointing in the right direction. But I didn't stop 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio I reckon one day they will ban heading in football. Or they will have special headgear.

Watson you dont carry a lighter when you run ? 

Nobody stopping me running if it's a workout otherwise I dont mind.

Jmac a golfball hit sounds nasty ! I was talking to my wife recently about how heavy basketballs are and how it must hurt getting one in the head. My wish came true 

Parkruns here have been cancelled again. I was going to do one this weekend as a tune up to the 10k in 2 weeks.

I think Mark and my upcoming race is in doubt now. I'm not confident we will leave level 2 down here anytime soon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've lost count of the number of people who ask for directions when I'm running.  On an easy run I might yell the answer as I keep going but on a workout they're out of luck.  My highlight was when running in a park in Melbourne and a guy from a gym tried to sell me a membership in the middle of a long run.

I'm hearing rumours that Auckland will be at level 4 by Saturday and the rest of the country at level 3, for at least 4 weeks.  So that will rule out all races during that period.  I'll bite my tongue about our govt.

flavio - I agree, we'll be fine disease wise.  But the cure is worse than the disease.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Parkruns here have been cancelled again. I was going to do one this weekend as a tune up to the 10k in 2 weeks.

I think Mark and my upcoming race is in doubt now. I'm not confident we will leave level 2 down here anytime soon.

They've just emailed and said they'll make a call Monday, but realistically I think we'll know at 1pm today.  They have a backup date in late November so I'd say they'll just fall back on that if Level 2 gets extended for you (or increased).  The odds aren't good to be honest.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

I've lost count of the number of people who ask for directions when I'm running.  On an easy run I might yell the answer as I keep going but on a workout they're out of luck.  My highlight was when running in a park in Melbourne and a guy from a gym tried to sell me a membership in the middle of a long run.

I'm hearing rumours that Auckland will be at level 4 by Saturday and the rest of the country at level 3, for at least 4 weeks.  So that will rule out all races during that period.  I'll bite my tongue about our govt.

flavio - I agree, we'll be fine disease wise.  But the cure is worse than the disease.

I don't think the rumours are helpful.  The decision isn't being made until tomorrow; a lot could change based on information and cases in the intervening period.  Realistically we're in for at least 2 more weeks of fairly tight restrictions, maybe more.

Based on that I'd say Mount Maunganui is almost certain to push back to their November date.  F%$K!!! I was really getting excited for that race and a much-needed family holiday.

More worried about Rotorua tbh.  That's 6 weeks away so it's still a reasonable shot if this is contained early.  I had a really good MP workout this morning too, just to rub it in.  Didn't know if I'd feel up for it with everything going on but as soon as I kicked the effort in, I felt really good.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watching you guys debate when things can happen again brings me back to March in the US. Now we're just cranky here and resigned to 2020 being a lost year. We're just hoping for 2021 to come ASAP

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)