Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Alright guys, let's take a little break and be in awe of Joshua Cheptegei who just broke the 5000m world record in the Monaco Diamond League.

He ran 12:35, 2 seconds faster than the previous record of 12:37, from the king Bekele back in 2004.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

aww yeah Cheptegei ! Now I have something I can try to stream tonight.

Cedar  Rapids, Iowa got hit by a hurricane Derecho  which was basically 45 minutes of sustained 100 mph winds. Thankfully my house took no damage (not true for most of my neighbors) and I just have two maple trees on the ground, so instead of running I've been learning to operate a chainsaw, and let me tell you I don't have the right muscles for that! The strangest part was that in addition to no power, we also had no cell service (voice or data) for 3 days. 2020 ... keeps giving me new reasons to drink.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Damn Flavio that's fast. He should do a Parkrun immediately 

Zebano wow that sounds nasty. I doubt my wife's new polyhouse would sustain that. In fact I know it wouldn't!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

What is a polyhouse? Is that where all the polyamorous folk gather for their parties?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Haha a greenhouse with perspex panels

Alright guys, let's take a little break and be in awe of Joshua Cheptegei who just broke the 5000m world record in the Monaco Diamond League.

He ran 12:35, 2 seconds faster than the previous record of 12:37, from the king Bekele back in 2004.

Good to see you guys have some appreciation of this!  Crickets chirping on the marathon thread.... That was a beautiful race to watch. I was skeptical he could get it based on the warm/humid weather but he delivered! So young too, he has an incredible career ahead of him.

2:52:16 (2018)

I especially like Cheptegai as we have the exact same running form.......

watsonc123

Admittedly I was a tad slower than Cheptegei, but my cross country race went pretty well.

It was about 8km, which I ran in 34:48, so 4:21/km pace.  Which on non-fresh legs I was pretty pleased with.   Although I must state it was a pretty quick cross country course as it's been dry for this time of year so the grass is pretty quick, the only slow parts were four stop banks, four stream crossings, and a couple of very small sections.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Nice pace Chris.

Just watched that 5000m

You know you are fast when you lap Julian Wanders in a 5000m 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good job Watson!

Nice pace Chris.

Just watched that 5000m

You know you are fast when you lap Julian Wanders in a 5000m 

I thought it was nice how Wanders pulled to the outside and cheered him on.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zebano - ouch, that’s scary. I’m glad to hear your house was not impacted.

JTReeves - Indeed, an incredible race, so smooth.

I hope he stays focused, I’d love to see some front running on the olympics next year.

Watson - awesome racing, I’m glad you’ve been able to race often.

me - I'm trying to map out my races for the next couple of months.

Perhaps a couple of 5ks and a 10k. Let's see if the god of pandemics will allow it.

I wanted a dust buster 5k around Sep 6th, I can't find anything so far, the only option is another race a week before, but with inglorious weather (around 25c 77f). I was really hoping for the chillier early mornings of the beginning of September, judging by past years weather history.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

aww yeah Cheptegei ! Now I have something I can try to stream tonight.

Cedar  Rapids, Iowa got hit by a hurricane Derecho  which was basically 45 minutes of sustained 100 mph winds. Thankfully my house took no damage (not true for most of my neighbors) and I just have two maple trees on the ground, so instead of running I've been learning to operate a chainsaw, and let me tell you I don't have the right muscles for that! The strangest part was that in addition to no power, we also had no cell service (voice or data) for 3 days. 2020 ... keeps giving me new reasons to drink.

Ooh...I missed this before.  I'm glad your house made it through unscathed!  We had one of those hit a few years ago, but only lasted about 10 minutes.  A lot of branches from trees in the back yard ended up in the front yard....

The no cell service/no power is a tough combo.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JamesD

JamesD

Well done, Watson.

Zebano - Too bad you didn’t get any award when you finished third overall.  I sort of wish races here would give age-group awards to the fastest people in the age group, even if they also get overall awards (as long as the top three overall & in each group get awards, not the top two).  I’ve felt sheepish the times I’ve won age-group or masters awards when someone in my category has beaten me but received an overall award instead.  I can see why race directors would rather give out awards to more people than give two or three to the same person, though. 

I had another bad set of 1200s on Monday, an embarrassing fall on Wednesday, and a slow short tempo on Friday.  Good thing Sunday is an off day, in case the pattern continues.  I averaged 4:41 per 1200 on Monday, a bit better than 4:45 a few weeks ago, but still way worse than the 4:25 I averaged in March with the same effort and after less fast work than I’ve had recently.  My earlier tempo and short hill workouts were fine, so I’m not sure what’s going on.  The only reasons/excuses I can think of are that our family has been having allergy trouble, and that the workout was at 7am, earlier than I’m used to.  On Wednesday, I tripped on a root I’ve stepped over dozens of times before, got a faceful of dirt, and banged my right shoulder & left knee.  Didn’t twist anything, just had bruises & rashes & minor swelling, so it could’ve been a lot worse.  I’m hoping Friday’s short tempo was slow just because I wasn’t fully recovered from Monday’s workout.

Not sure what to expect for next Saturday’s 5K.  Based on my last two 3.5-mile tempos (in which I passed 5K around 20:15 in less-than-race efforts) and my last hill workout, I was expecting to be somewhere around 19:30-45, but my last two sets of 1200s were slower than sets I ran before a 20:19 5K last year, my slowest ever.  I’ll see in a week, and it’ll be fun to be racing again.

Sun - off

Mon - 7.0 track miles including 5x1200 @ 4:41/~3:25 rest

Tues - 6.3 slow recovery

Weds - 10.7 easy

Thurs - 32 minutes swimming

Fri - 4.5 track including 2 @ 6:37

Sat - 6.6 slow recovery

Total - about 35.1 miles

12/26/52-week averages - 45/43/39 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice job on the race

Zebano- we get the occasional power outage here but nothing like 3 days worth.  We are on tank water so no power also equals no running water.

Flavio - good luck finding races.

James - ow!  That happened to me a few months ago too.  Glad it's nothing major.

Me - all time record week in the bag with a couple of solid MP workouts (Tues / Thurs).  Thurs was particularly good as it was on rolling terrain, and after the new lockdown news I didn't know whether I'd have the motivation for it.  But you know how sometimes you kick it up a gear into tempo and you know straight away that you're up for it today?  Yeah.  It was a nice feeling, I was consistently at MP on rolling terrain having done a workout two days earlier as well.

Mt. Maunganui Half has been moved to its fallback date in late November, so that's my tune-up half for Rotorua gone.  I will probably still run a hard long tempo effort instead.  I'm optimistic Rotorua will still happen if it we can get on top of this quickly.  Fingers crossed!

Weekly for period: From: 10/08/2020 To 16/08/2020

Date Name Distance
                              in km
                              Duration Avg Pace
                              per km
                              Elevation Gain
                              in m
                              10/08/2020 And now the work really begins 15.14 01:09:35 04:36 26
                              11/08/2020 A bit wet and a bit windy 16.63 01:07:30 04:04 34
                              12/08/2020 Day 1... again. 11.01 00:52:52 04:48 61
                              13/08/2020 Day 2: It’s back to running in the middle of the road again 21.21 01:24:15 03:58 107
                              14/08/2020 Day 3: Easy recovery 7.45 00:35:02 04:42 79
                              15/08/2020 Day 4: Long one with some impromptu sheep herding 🐑 30.04 02:17:09 04:34 316
                              16/08/2020 Day 5: Iced boardwalk 16.05 01:16:09 04:45 111

Total distance: 117.54km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Congrats Mark. You may as well use level 3 to run lots of miles.

James good luck in the 5k next week.

Darkwave I think it's fair to say Julian Wanders had given up at that point but yes nice camaraderie.

Got to mention Jakob Ingebrigtesen at 19 running 3.28 1500m 

Pretty poor week for me with 60kms run and no workouts.

I was sort of peaking towards  August 31st but now its postponed for 2 months I'm losing the fanatical connection between my brain and my body to keep training hard