Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

zebano

DW - I'd be incredibly upset with those volunteers, it's a shame that happened, but you seem to have a good attitude about it. I know some people that don't take such things well. I'm curious are you choosing to swim/water run less to avoid people? I've been assuming the chlorine makes pools relatively safe as long as you're not sitting at the end of the lane chatting it up with people. I have been avoiding showering at the gym as well as using any of the normal gym equipment.

Marco - have you seen a doctor? Those do sound like long term Covid symptoms and you wouldn't be the only one with them, but it certainly sucks. Best of luck. Every time I hear about stuff like that I get scared into wearing my mask a little bit more religiously when indoors even though I know it doesn't really help me personally.

James - I'm with you on the weight. I'm up 7 pounds and can feel it in the running. ugg. Good job shedding so much pre-race. That's a solid time regardless of age IMO but you must have been speedy when you were younger. That's kind of crazy that you didn't pass anyone in the second half of the race, I love starting conservatively and passing people and usually someone obliges.

Piwi - 3x2k @ 10k sounds rough but you're crushing everything these days!

Mark has yet another really good week! I hope you get to race with that fitness.

Watson why did you choose to go watchless?

Steve  - 5 hour drives are rough.

You Kiwis start your races crazy late. Most of our start at 6 AM because they want the roads unblocked ASAP, it doesn't matter if it's dark or not. I always appreciate ones that start latter.

1% slopes at the end of a HM are just brutal. I died at mile 12 of my HM PR because of a tiny incline.

Piwi - are you part Irish? They only drink on days of the week that end with a "Y".

I personally have been having too much beer which is aiding my weight gain. It also impacts my RHR/AVGsleepingHR and I don't feel quite as good as when I don't have them. I'm not ready to give them up but I'm trying to cut back to 1 a night and only if someone is having one with me.

I had a solid, if shortish week. I wanted to re-establish routine and I did that.

M - 5.5 mi w/ 7x10sec hill sprints which really destroyed my quads and were way harder than they should be

T - 8.1 w/ a terrible 800m progression. Started at 3:31 pace and only made it 5 reps. The legs were super beat up and wouldn't turn over.

W - 6 easy

Th - 7.8 w 11min tempo, min rest, 9 min tempo. Very dissapointed with my 7:15 pace during the tempo effort but it is what it is.

F - Rest

Sat - 90 minutes on a super hilly course (1350 feet of elevation gain/ 9 miles).

Sun - Easy 8. Started out just jogging for awhile and very slowly sped up to easy pace.

Sun eve - 7 mile bike + 1 mile run "brick" with my son who is doing a triathlon in a few weeks. He trained really well for the race .. in April. with the postponement due to Covid he kept it up into June but really dropped the ball and I'm worried this is going to go beyond "learning experience" to "I hate running" experience level very quickly. I actually advised that he Gallowalk it but we'll see, 13 year old boys don't usually take that kind of advice well.

44 miles.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - I'd be incredibly upset with those volunteers, it's a shame that happened, but you seem to have a good attitude about it. I know some people that don't take such things well. I'm curious are you choosing to swim/water run less to avoid people? I've been assuming the chlorine makes pools relatively safe as long as you're not sitting at the end of the lane chatting it up with people. I have been avoiding showering at the gym as well as using any of the normal gym equipment.

Nope.  I would dearly love to use the pool more, but there are limitations.  Basically, I'm only allowed to reserve one 45 minute slot per day.  We're also supposed to check in 15 minutes before our slot (i.e. if I book 7:00-7:45 am, I show up at 6:45 to check in), and I've found that usually I can breeze through check in and get into the pool a bit early, which is how I have those 55 minute pool-runs.  But no 2 hour pool-runs (those were a staple of my marathon training pre-Covid 19).

Additionally, the pool time slots are allocated among different groups - some time slots are reserved for seniors or family pods.  For example, I used to regularly do a recovery swim after my hard workouts, but I can't now because the time slots that would work for that are limited to seniors.

So it is challenging.  Definitely not like it was before when I could just swing by at my convenience, drop in, and do what I wanted.  But I'm grateful just to have access at all.

NZ people - I hope things settle down and you are able to race.

Zebano - refresh me - what is the distance of your son's Tri?  Is it a sprint?  He might be able to fake 5K.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Oh yeah those limitations make things difficult. You end up planning around the gym instead of planning gym time around the more important stuff.

My son's (and mine) tri is just a sprint so 500m swim, 20km bike, 5km run. Two months ago he was jogging 2.2miles with our dog twice a week no problem (it's a neighborhood loop I used to run often) but yesterday after a  7 mile bike ride we ran a mile at 9 min/mile   and he said his legs were killing him just a quarter of a mile in. I guess it's good it's not the lungs but eek the bike ride was really slow (13mph on a road bike). I'm sure he will finish but it would have been more enjoyable when he was swimming 5 days per week, cycling 3 times and running twice. He legitimately likes swimming and misses his team so I expect him to do well on that leg. It's out of my hands at this point, I did give him weekly reminders so he knew it was coming but as a parent I don't want him to have a totally negative experience. A painful one is good, but there's a fine distinction there. Oh well.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano this will be a good experience for your son and will hopefully give him some fitness habits for later in life. When my son was 13 he was running 20 to 30 mpw but by 16 he had enough. Now 23 though he still phones me up for the odd run. Its really cool.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - It sucks about the volunteers not directing you properly. In that situation I would have stayed on the road just as you did.

James - Great job snagging that sub-20. I don't doubt that you'll be able to go sub-90.

Mark - Awesome weeks lately. And 12 hours of video calls? Wow, that sounds like exactly zero fun. Bourbon fan? You might see if you can find a movie/documentary on Netflix titled "Neat" that's quite interesting.
            Any chance you'd want to run a flat out-and-back marathon in rural Arkansas in late November

Flavio - Nice week, and I agree with DWave that the ladder is interesting.

Steve - Good week as well.

Imperceptible climbs - The OKC marathon has one of those. In all the times I've run this (racing or training) there has only been one time when it wasn't against the wind, as well. Lots of people really wished they would have removed this part during one of the several course modifications in recent years.

Not a fan of my last couple days of running. GI issues halfway through my intended LR. Would have been physically fine to complete the second half, but wasn't there mentally as well. Then holding threshold effort this morning was way too hard and I cut that run short by about half as well. I've been feeling pretty tired for the last week or so (combo lack of sleep and lack of sleep quality), so I'm going to call this a cut-back week. Reduce mileage, try to sleep in a little and recuperate. This should also help as a taper for a 5k I'm considering running this weekend, depending on how the legs feel (feel good, race. Not-so-good, short LR).

This race is one that drew over 1,000 people last year (massive for the area), and it'll be interesting to see how many people show. On one hand, COVID. On the other, this is the most well-known race to go off in the area since February. Looks like a rolling start, chip time only. Tables with small, sealed bottles of water - no cups. No crowds at the start/finish areas, and no DJ!

Weekly for period: From: 08/17/2020 To 08/23/2020

Date Name Distance
            in mi
            Duration Avg Pace
            per mi
            Elevation Gain
            in ft
            08/17/2020 20 min T, 10 min T 14.05 01:47:50 07:40 338
            08/18/2020 One rabbit and three turkeys 11.75 01:38:31 08:23 361
            08/19/2020 I like big buns and I cannot lie 11.50 01:34:55 08:15 344
            08/20/2020 2x (4x 1k @CP). 1 min reco, w/ 4 extra between sets 13.60 01:40:19 07:23 322
            08/21/2020 2 deer (2 strides) and 1 armadillo 11.50 01:39:42 08:40 502
            08/22/2020 The donkeys were smart enough to stand in the shade 2.50 00:20:33 08:13 95
            08/23/2020 Not quite how I had this planned 9.51 01:19:55 08:24 79

Total distance: 74.42mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I totally understand the lack of sleep.

You were afraid that Mark would pipe you in weekly mileage!

I guess now that he did it, you can sleep better 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Zebano - nice week and good luck to your son.

Keen - awesome week.

For those who asked about me racing watchless:

1. The teams time themselves.  Normally using someone's phone, but then you have to share pins, people risk stuff ups etc., so I decided we would use my watch.

2. I am a terrible watch checker when racing, I look far too often, so I wanted to race by feel.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - I would totally be up for 6am races!  Good job getting back into the rhythm.

Keen - I would be 100% keen for that!  Although I may need to charter some sort of stealth aircraft to avoid border control.  I finally managed to pip you in weekly mileage, but I think it says it all that I *just* beat you with my highest week ever, coinciding with you having a bit of a tough week.  I am in no danger of usurping the thread mileage king, that's for sure.

The workout was pretty fun... 4 x 1600 @ MP / 400 hard.  I ran it on the track and I found the toughest part was the 400m or so immediately after finishing the 400 hard.  Settling back into MP after a hard effort was initially tough but then surprisingly smooth once the rhythm took over.  My legs were still a bit tired after a huge couple of weeks by my standards but it went well.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey guys, sorry for being MIA! Work has been very busy and life in general with the newborn. Quick passing by thoughts:

- shout-out to James for an incredibly impressive time. I wonder if weighing a bit more actually helps you. If I remember correctly, you're closer to the underweight category. So hard for most of us to figure out what the right racing weight is, but this was interesting experiment

- enjoying the Kiwi speculation here on reopening

- starting up another 5K/10K block for me. My goals are sub 35 10K, sub 17 5K in these time trials. NYRRs has already cancelled all races for the rest of the year, and so has Long Island (through end of October at least), where I do most of my shorter races. I know DW has pointed out CT, may keep my eye on that, but I'd almost rather run a TT than just some race where 5-10 people start at a time.

- Keen: you know how much I love not running. Down weeks are king. This is a great time for a reset. It's totally anecdotal, but the folks I see who never take down time seem to not race as well as those who go up and down in their training. You'll even see it with elites: they'll just take 2 weeks off after a major marathon with some super light jogging. Could be good for you!

- DW: it's interesting how much you ascribe this to your pool running, but you know so much about your training and what works / doesn't work, can't really comment much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac good to hear from you. Your 5k 10k block will keep you motivated. Time trials are the next best thing after races.

Keen good to listen to your body. I'm sure a low week for you will still be 50 + mpw 

What your goal for the 5k ?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac & Piwi - The down week is already feeling pretty good, though my legs were a bit tired this morning still. I even let myself sleep in an extra 45 minutes from usual! I'm not planning on getting to even 50 miles. Maybe mid-40s.

I don't have any particular time goal for this one. Partly because I don't know exactly what I'd be capable of. I just want to go out and run hard. I figure I'll go by feel and maybe look at power from Stryd a bit - no looking at time at all. Stryd does give me an estimate of what it thinks I can do for 5k, and I'm curious to see how it will align with what actually happens.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks to Magrawlas over on the marathon thread I now have a fallback marathon option (Plan C)... the Wairarapa Country Marathon on Oct 11.  There were 33 entrants in 2018 and I believe 23 in 2019.  It boasts an Athletics NZ certified course, as it has hosted Wellington Marathon champs on occasion (including this year).

Watson may know the event, it looks like a nice course.  It's two laps (one for the half) of countryside running, mostly pretty cruisy with a few rollers.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Assuming it is on, I am running the half at Wairarapa.

I ran the full in 2017, with about 30 racers.  From the 5km mark, I had two people racing the half overtake me, and around 35-37km I overtook one full racer.

I was slightly sick, slightly injured and slightly underprepared, so I had a slow last 15km.  It was the most lonely race I ever had.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson/Mark yeah that would be more like a time trial. It's hard to replace the buzz of a big city marathon and the adrenaline it brings.

I went to the track today for the first time in  few years. They resurfaced it a couple of years ago and didn't want people running in lanes 1 and 2. I met a couple of local serious runners who said it was okay but I decided not to as I wasn't doing a time trial but just a tempo.

After my warmup a big group of down syndrome folk turned up for some fun races. They were all over the place but it was all fine and they were having fun. Problem was they would all try and race me each lap I came round. They were good for about 10 secs but then ran out of petrol 

Here's a pic of our track. Note the rugby posts 

JamesD

JamesD

- shout-out to James for an incredibly impressive time. I wonder if weighing a bit more actually helps you. If I remember correctly, you're closer to the underweight category. So hard for most of us to figure out what the right racing weight is, but this was interesting experiment

The extra weight doesn't help.  If it were muscle, maybe, but it's not.  Now that I'm aware of it, I'm pretty sure it'll come off gradually, and (unfortunately) I've got time before any goal races.

Disappointed but not surprised that the Nov. 1 half in Alabama that I was targeting (I think it was plan C) has been cancelled, along with the local 5Ks between now & then.  About the only half option before winter would have me leave at 4:30am and drive two hours for a race outside Atlanta on Halloween morning - if that one is held, which I doubt.  There's a local 5K in November that looks like it'll have a good course, and I can always hope that it's less cold than usual in January when we have a usually competitive half that starts and finishes 3 blocks from our apartment.  At least I'll have some time to try some new things in training.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32