Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JamesD

JamesD

OMG, I started graduate school that year.

It's funny how the little things can make you feel old....

If it makes you feel any younger, my first baseball memory is from 1970.

Son is doing better recovering from his appendectomy.  Still not 100%, as the surgeon had to move some intestines around to get to the appendix & they're still sore, but he's a bit better each day.  Today was his first day back to school.

I'm an extreme introvert and have not minded social distancing at all.  In pre-lockdown days, when my wife's family would stay up all night talking, I would excuse myself & go to sleep.  At first they were a little puzzled, but they're fine with it now.  They're Chilean and I'm the only American they know, so they may think it's a cultural thing rather than an introvert thing.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

my wife's family would stay up all night talking

This sounds like my worst nightmare.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

One thing I've struggled with several girlfriends over the years is having them understand that when I want/need alone time, it's not because I don't want to be with them.  Without running plus some quiet alone time (or loud alone time with headphones on), I doubt they'd like to be with me!  It's how I keep my sanity.

James - That sounds pretty rough for your son.  I hope he's recovering well and it hasn't been too stressful for you either.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

zebano

Piwi - one of us had to make an honest living!

Keen - 👊. Good on you for helping out an ultra runner. How did you find the slower pace? I had a group run Monday with two people who paced last weekend and one was thrilled about it, the other ... not so much. It doesn't help that our course had something like 175 feet of gain per mile so there was naturally a lot of walking, especially that late in the race. The coolest bit was a friend of mine (she) overtook 1st female with 2 miles to go and had to sprint her last mile in to secure the win. Your 40 miles is almost as much as I ran.

Mark - you nailed the Introvert/Extrovert explanation there. I've been asked why I run alone so much, and it's not always simply opportunity, it's my *me* time.

James - Glad to hear the good news about your son. I hope he deals with the long term changes well. My wife had that surgery 5 years ago just days before Christmas and she's had to change her diet to deal with her digestive system.

Baseball - My first memory is the 1987 playoffs. =)

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm an extreme introvert and have not minded social distancing at all.  

This is me - I'm practically an outlier on the introvert side of the scale. When the covid shutdowns happened my "social" interactions actually INCREASED in the form of my kiddos being home from school all the time.

Personal anecdote: My wife and I (along with some other volunteers) took a personality profile that was based on Myers Briggs to help find our "best fit" for some volunteer work. We filled them out then "graded" them by ourselves before discussing things. As I was finishing up my "grading" someone asked the psychologist overseeing things how common it would be for a person to score all on one side or the other of the "introvert/extrovert" of the test. The psychologist quickly said that it would be "extremely uncommon" for a person to mark down answers that were all on either extreme. To this I held up my paper and said "You mean like this?" as all of my answers were on the introvert side of things. Then my wife held hers up with all of her answers on the extrovert side...

Zebano - I kinda fell into step with the guy to get locked in to the pace, but that wasn't difficult. Had I just tried running at that pace by myself I don't think it would have gone as smoothly since it's not an effort level I run at.
            I'd definitely pace someone again, but my biggest issue with that is that I don't know more than just a a couple ultra runners. Then again, for this my BiL sent me a message a week-and-a-half ago saying "hey, I have this buddy who's running a 100 miler, would you want to pace him?" so it kinda fell into my lap.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm also an introvert.  Not shy at all - I'll happily give a presentation or strike up a conversation with a stranger if appropriate.  But being with others drains me, and being by myself recharges me.

I suspect that there's some selection bias.  I suspect introverted runners are more likely to train solo and to participate in boards like this one.

I know quite a few extrovert runners - they are all very big on the group run and struggle doing workouts or even regular runs solo.  And they don't tend to participate much in internet running discussions other than the occasional comment on Strava.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It's good to hear it's not that uncommon to enjoy running solo - early in my running career I regularly turned down running partners/groups and felt like an outlier.  I like it now for recovery runs but I would never want to do a workout with someone else.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Heh, Flavio has prompted a good discussion here.

Darkwave - you are totally right about self selection in terms of the people on this forum!

Zebano - totally, running is such a great time to think, or actually just be.

Steve - my wife didn't used to quite get either but I think she's learned it - took a while though (the converse of this with me learning about extroverts was also true!).

James / Keen - I used to think I was a fairly extreme introvert but I would say that actually I struggled with the lockdowns/distancing in some regards.  I need a little bit of social interaction (maybe not much though haha).  In some ways it's quite hard having a wife that is the complete opposite but it's been a good thing overall for me.

James- hope your son is doing OK.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

James - That sounds pretty rough for your son.  I hope he's recovering well and it hasn't been too stressful for you either.

Thanks.  It really hasn't been too stressful, either for us or him, once he had the operation.  A friend of his had had it last year and was fine, so he wasn't worried going in.  Once it was over, the doctor & nurses explained that he was fine but was going to be in pain for a couple of days, so it was "just pain" (easy for me to say) and not anything that caused uncertainty or stress.  It also helped that he had just finished his university applications that were due last week, and his school had a fall break last week so he didn't worry about missing time.  He's getting a little better each day, which also helps.  My being retired made it easier too.  Much better that it happened now than next year when he's away from home at university.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

One thing I've struggled with several girlfriends over the years 

Showoff  and thanks for the compliment.

I'm keen to dress as Gaga and its pretty likely with Flavios 5k time.

James my 39 year old nephew who I see a lot is married to a Chilean. She is extremely family orientated and social. They have family visiting from Chile regularly. Hope your boy recovers well.

Zebano I think folks with physical jobs don't have the energy to run as well as work whereas those with desk jobs crave the exercise. I'm lucky as my job is semi physical and probably helps keep me a bit stronger in other areas that running doesn't target.

Keen im sorry the coffee sugar thing has halted our relationship 

Watson initially i got results just off your strava where it showed who you ran with. Solid job and first sub 20 post 40 years old right ?

I think our zoom meetings give some clues to who is introverted etc. James was politely quiet whereas I kept butting in 

That reminds me. Where has Calsbear gone ?

Those bloody 100 mile weeks broke him. Thats the danger of a challenge like that.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Yes, first sub 20 5km race at 40+ old.

At 40+ I have ran sub 20 over 5km during longer races, this and last year.  I think 19:47 was the quickest.  Just not during a 5km race, until yesterday.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - not sure about low 17s again, who knows, but low 18 and sub 18 are very reachable by you at the moment.

I’m not sure how up to date you are with the latest research, but after the cheater fly, now the new trick used by runners to run fast is to dress as Lady Gaga.

I haven’t tried myself, but maybe it works for you? Remember that Mark dressed as a fairy not long ago and then suddenly was running 1h10 half marathons. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

I’m surprised your work is considered blue collar. When I think blue collar I think some dudes doing manual labor at a construction site.

I've grew up on a farm working to help my dad since early ages, then onto various manual labors like tending a tomato plantation, working at a clothing factory until I found a gig teaching the basics of computers to people and then eventually became a software developer.

I still roll my eyes and get annoyed to this day when I see somebody looking down at a waiter or server.

Piwi/Watson - thanks for the info on the restrictions. It sounds like business as usual + you don’t have to care about deniers and no maskers.

Zebano - I have a better answer for you next time somebody asks why you run alone. Just tell them that burning running partners is against the law.

Darkwave - Yeah, extrovert runners are nowhere to be found in boards like this. They’re busy by the water cooler debating the latest from the Kardashians.

In the topic: Americans share stories of their first Baseball memories.

Rest of the World: What’s a baseball?

me - I seem to be recovered from the 10 with a nice workout yesterday, a good 50 minutes strength session earlier today followed by 45 minutes of easy running. Up next I have a workout this Saturday, then a lot of easy running and race sharpening short workouts next week before the 5k on the first of November. I'm working hard to keep allergies at bay.

The race will be held at this location in case anybody is curious enough. Roughly 6 laps on a 830 tarmac oval.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I can't remember if I posted this one:

tower finish line

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I think the lack of upcoming races is what took out calbears, although smashing 100+ mile weeks didn't help. It's really too bad Boston 2021 is looking unlikely because I was looking forward to meeting up with him and mikkey beforehand. No big race organizer in the US is going to want to pull the trigger on a race until the fall probably.

Flavio - 9+ hours is not good for a 10K. Pick up your training.

Introvert/Extrovert - I think a few of you sound just like me; introverted, but I do need some interaction. WAH has been nice, but I do miss some casual chats with the team. It did take years for my wife to get used to it; she calls it "quiet time" now when she realizes I'm not not entertaining her random questions. But as Steve said that's what makes a good partner: they know that you not talking is not a sign of disrespect.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac i really hope next year is better for you guys over there. Another year of this will really be hard from a motivation level.

Flavio your 5k course looks fast. Slightly boring doing 8 laps but a nice surface to run on.

Any improvement on what I've achieved this year will be good motivation for me.

I haven't had to wear a mask at all since covid hit. I carried them in my work van for callouts during lockdown but nobody seemed bothered.

I think the blue collar white collar thing isn't such a thing anymore. Tradesmen can earn great money nowadays.

Gaga doesn't wear much....so could be good on a hot day 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "