Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I'm convinced at this point foam rollers are useless. Not rolling, just foam rolling. They're not firm enough and don't do nearly the work either a lacrosse type ball, the stick, or a true vibrating massage would do.

Are you using a firm enough roller? Some of them are way too soft but I’ve got quite a hard one that works well (especially if I use it on a hard surface rather than carpet).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Are you using a firm enough roller? Some of them are way too soft but I’ve got quite a hard one that works well (especially if I use it on a hard surface rather than carpet).

Yes. I use one that has a hard plastic shell underneath the roller. The only thing I believe it works well on is an IT Band, with moderate success in the quad too. When it comes to hip/glute (ball), hamstring (stick), calf/achilles (stick+massage), foot (ball), the roller is not as effective.I never get that level of correct pressure that I want. However, I will say this is more for trigger points / niggly injuries, not "my hamstring is sore." There I can see it working well. Foam rollers are like the Swedish massage of all tools.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Auckland and Queenstown Marathons on a knife edge

This is somewhat disheartening.  I've decided my poor performances this year are because of the time trial and small race factor - 8 laps all by myself.  I'm really looking forward to a proper race.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

It's not really news though is it Steve?  There's always a risk of new community cases appearing and if they do then it's the big races that'll be the first to go.  I've no doubt they'll go ahead if they can - they will have taken a hit on Hawkes Bay this year already so they'll be desperate to get these events away if they can do so within the restrictions.

Incidentally I had a Covid-test yesterday.  The pub in Greenhithe that was visited by someone who later tested positive is just down the road from me.  I've only been inside once in my entire life but I go to the barber shop next door and the bakery next to that.  Anyway there was an engineer in our house on Monday who'd been in the pub last Friday night when that subsequent positive case was there, so I figured I may as well get tested.  No results yet (seems a bit slow?).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah - and the current status led to Auckland in lock down and the rest of the country in Level 2 in August.  I suspect that won't happen this time because a certain event has passed and the need to brainwash is reduced Smile

I guess I'll just do a Marky_Mark and keep training not knowing if I'll actually race.

2024 Races:

Steve you would be happy with all the covid infected Russian fisherman staying in Christchurch presently 

Long weekend here hurray 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I guess I'll just do a Marky_Mark every single person on this board outside of NZ and keep training not knowing if I'll actually race.

FTFY. It sucks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Meh there's always Parkrun Steve. Turn yourself into a 5k beast 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nah JMac I think I had it right first time - you guys are training knowing you won't be racing which is even worse.

piwi - I'm probably built more for the 5km...but I'd still prefer not Smile

2024 Races:

zebano

Jmac - I'm with you. The stick is useful for calves occasionally and a lacross ball for glutes but honestly I don't find such types of self-massage to do more than just give me a little pleasure while watching TV, it doesn't seem to fix anything while running. IT bands in particular never really were helped (as in increasing the duration I could run for) until I started doing the appropriate strength work to help my hips.

Steve - I'm with you, it's just hard to bring the same energy level to a TT that we do for a race. Skip the parkrun and just train for the 800!  You can age grade your result just to trigger some of the thread-locals.

In my world, I'm about to be stupid and do my first proper 20 miler in ages. Everything over 12 the last two years has been run walk so this is going to be fun!

Finall - a question for the board, after a hardish workout, at what point do your legs tell you that you're sore? I did a really fun workout on Tuesday and finished thinking I easily had another rep or two in my legs. I got up the next day and they felt fine, but then I went to run at noon and all of a sudden I was getting the "hey we did something hard yesterday" signals.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Zebano DOMS ( delayed onset muscle soreness) usually shows a day or 2 after the effort.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Hi, my name is Josh and my HM has been cancelled today …

My last online appearance was on RWOL which I left when I was chronically injured and couldn't stand my own whining anymore. I said I'd be back after my first painfree run of over 60 minutes. A few weeks later RWOL was shut down + life took over.

Now I'm 54, married, three sons (aged 4, 8, and 11), and still chronically injured – but I've learned to live with that. Pain is shifting around my right AT, PF and heel bone. Some days are good, some are a little bit harder, but I'm running.

My last two races have been indoors and very short for me, a 400m in 78,3 and an 800m in 2:50 back in January. Plans were made to run a few 5Ks and 10Ks and then close the racing season with my first timed HM ever. Guaranteed PR at 54, yes! Those plans were cancelled one after another, and after today's cancellation of the HM I thought I should join the raceless crowd (no prediction here, Steve!).

I'll probably try to get an opinion from you what my goal for the HM should've been, considering a few bits about my training the past few weeks, but that will have to wait. It's already late over here (UTC+1), so I'll just add two things to my introduction. First, my native tongue is German, so please pardon any hiccups you may notice in my writing. Second, after the end of RWOL my impression was that most folks (or at least the more interesting ones) went on to RA, so I started reading here with the intention of posting soon. Well, intentions … . As a result I feel that I know some of you quite well (or ar least your RA persona), while you don't know me at all. Don't let that irritate you, it will change soon enough.

Now off to find out how to create a sig line. ETA: Aah, got it.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Zebano DOMS ( delayed onset muscle soreness) usually shows a day or 2 after the effort.

+1. I think DOMS is worst 24 to 36 hours after the effort, depending on your activities. You can get up in the morning, not feel anything unusual and if you move around during the day it will stay that way. First thing in the morning I have to downstairs, then upstairs again, then down again etc. Often this is not a real problem even after hard workouts the afternoon or evening before. But I have a desk job and after sitting for a few hours, my legs send a totally different message. Just don't get (too) stationary during the day.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Josh welcome aboard. Your niggles sound tough !

I hope you can work through them.

I joined RWOL in about 2010 and hung out on the sub 1.30 forum.

watsonc123

Josh - welcome.  Can you give us an idea on your training?  At first glance, I would say 1:40 for the half, assuming you're averaging 45+ miles per week.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25