Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano- it's really a binary equation for us here in NZ.  At Level 1 (where we are currently), there are lots of races.  At a higher risk level, the gathering restrictions are much tighter so there are only very small races or none at all.

Flavio- doh!!!  I had assumed probably all of Italy was immune by now... I guess not.  I gotta say, I've made a lot of use of the 'free cancellation' option on some Airbnb's this year.

Watson - that's frustrating after your time off and rehab of that hamstring injury too.

After sitting out on the deck eating lunch at 12:30pm today, I am even less excited about NZ Road Champs, which also starts at 12:30pm.  It'll be hot, it's just a question of how hot - and there is no shade on the Pulman Park course.

I think my plan from here - with the big goal being Southern Lakes Half Marathon - and of course everything subject to whether or not races actually happen - is:

• Get the body right and get back to my 'normal' training (less km, more workouts).  
    • Have a good crack at Mt. Maunganui Half Marathon at end of November (covid-permitting)
    • Do short races over summer and work on getting the speed back-up
    • Do a tune-up half marathon in mid-late March (probably Maraetai or Whenuapai)
    • Southern Lakes Half Marathon on May 1

After that, see how I go, but half tempted to do a club cross country season (which I've never done) and the XC Champs / Road Champs midwinter double.  National HM Champs will be one to keep an eye out for too, depending when and where its hosted.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Wellington Waterfront 5km Series

Race 3, 20 Oct 2020

Race Report

https://www.strava.com/activities/4218981055

19:31, 33rd out of 226.

This was the third race of the Wellington Waterfront 5km series. The series goes through October to March roughly, every Tuesday, except between Xmas ad New Year.

This was my first race of this series. But I have raced previous series.

Originally the forecast looked excellent. However, the forecast changed a bit. The day had been quite windy (Northerly). My office
      is very close to the start. It was forecast for the wind to drop, and it did by race time. It was moderately windy, but ok.

Race start is 5:45pm.

I got changed at work, and then did the 5 minute walk to the start.

I then lined up for a few minutes to get my season's race bib, and get my 5 trip multi pass clipped. I had this left from last summer
      where I only raced once before my hamstring injury ruined my plans.

Originally I was planning on running the course as the warm-up, but I didn't have time. Instead I ran 3.8km return via turning around
      shorter than the course turn around.

The race starts near Te Papa (museum), then goes around other buildings, and after around 1.2km on the footpath on Oriental Parade, goes near the end of Oriental Bay.

Turn around, and come back.

There's a big turn out today, of around 250 (actual 226). Including several juniors from my club, plus our clubs quickest runner (Thomas).

Thomas is 19 and seems to be getting quicker every race.  He ends up winning in 15:18.

The original plan was 19:15. I downgrade on the day to 19:45 due to conditions.

So plan is to run with the 20:00 pacer, and at the 3.5-4km mark speed up.

I line myself near the front, but not at the front. And near the 20 minute pacer.

We start. Lots start quicker than me. Including the 20 minute pacer, who must have been more like a 17:30 pacer for the first 200 metres.

I start pretty good pace, 3:5x. My pacer is probably 25 metres ahead of me early on.

I find the pace I'm running hard really early on. I am a little worried I've gone too quick.

Around 0.5km in, we are are going around the apartment building. I'm overtaking quite a few people during this stage as they've clearly
      started too quick. This is the first race since June 2019 where I end up doing a small amount of jostling, as quite a few started quick
      and the area here is reasonably narrow.

I hit first km at 3:52, which feels about right.

We now go onto Oriental Parade, there's around 6-8 of us.  Second km done in 3:52.

Soon after I see the leaders coming back.

Turn around 9:45.

I felt like I took quite a while to regain speed after the turn around, but looking afterwards, it did not take long.

Third km in 3:57.  A little slower, but given the turn around, that was ok.

At the 3.2km mark I come across Madi who is 11 and is at my club and at my kids school.  She and a cyclist have crashed into each other, I stop to make sure they're alright.  Luckily a PR today was never in contention, so it makes stopping an easier choice.

I catch back to the pacer quickly.  She is slowing now, most likely as she wants to finish around 20:00

I and a few others leave her now.  4th km in 3:56.

We are now going around the apartment building.  The first part into the wind, the last with the wind.  Pacing was not great here as I over compensated into the wind and did it quicker than the downwind.

4.5km in, I am about 4:00 pace for this km.

I decide I speed up now.  The last 500m is made up evenly of side wind, head wind, then side wind.

I kick a bit at the end and go past one.  But the others around me also kick.

Through at 19:32 my watch, and later on it's 19:31 official.

I have gone sub 20 over 5km in races, at age 40+, but for an actual 5km race, it is a first 40+ sub 20.  Which is good.

Take homes*:

- I could have done 19:15 at best.  So pacing was good.  I would need to really start pushing at the 2km mark.

- The wind was ok.  It was not worth 30 seconds.  It is also much easier when it is only small sections at a time into the wind.

- Recovery is so much quicker for me for an even/negative split race than a positive split.

* Pre my subsequent injury.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

zebano

Hah I guess I didn't realize everyone but me in this thread is in New Zealand. Actually if I'm counting I think there are 3 other Americans but I should pay more attention to geography.

I'm taking a down week because I have a sinus infection. I hate these things I feel so miserable and I seem to get them when everyone else gets a cold. The only upside is I used to get more of them. As a side note, yes I immediately suspended all running with other people and got covid tested (awaiting the result) but 4 people in my immediate family have had colds and tested negative for the 'Rona so I'm fairly certain I'm safe in that regard. I'm just trying to decide if I go see the doc and get a Z-pak or not as I often need steroids to fight off these infections.  Regardless, today's workout is gone and I'll just do an easy jog instead.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Watson thanks for the report. You paced well.

Zebano I used to feel like that on the old forums where most were Americans. If I mentioned metric I could feel the eyes rolling. I've actually got 3 races in November which is more than my yearly total usually 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

Zebano - There are still more Americans than Kiwis on the board at any given time, it's just that the Kiwis all post consistently while we come & go depending on injuries, illness, babies, etc.  You, me, Keen, darkwave, JMac, and now Josh make 6, and mrakers, dps, CFarr, Brewing, longboat, CalBears, Elizabeth, and Lauren(?) get us over a dozen at different times this year, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Watson - That's impressive pacing, especially considering that you stopped.

Me - Son is back in the hospital having an abcess drained.  The doctors may wind up having to operate again.  Only one parent can stay with him in the hospital for virus reasons, and we can't switch.  DW is getting frustrated at not being able to be with him.  My appointment to have someone check out my possible hernia is Thursday, and I hope I'll be able to go & come back.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

James - ugh that's rough, I hope he's OK.

Zebano - those sinus infections can be rough.  I used to get them all the time, but fortunately only once in the last few years.  Normally the antibiotics knock them on the head fairly fast for me but if you're using the roids it sounds like you cop it a bit worse.

Me - weird one with this morning's workout.  HR was way too high, lungs were bursting, pace wasn't that fast, but I felt great because it was the first time in weeks I felt like I was hitting a decent rhythm and not having to work for every single step.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Darkwave, Steve – Thanks.

Flavio – Grazie. I stayed in Bologna for a few weeks during a summer course back in 1989, but I never realized how close Modena is situated. And I was absolutely fascinated by the mosaics in Ravenna, where you stayed first. I can't remember whether you had the chance to see them or was everything shut down already?

Watson – Uuugh, that's some tough luck. I hope you get by with less inactivity than that. I've had my share of trips and slips, but never with an injury that took me out for longer than two or three days. Thanks for writing a RR although you're probably quite frustrated right now.

James – Hope your potential hernia turns out to be something that can be treated more easily (By the way, Mark, I think it was JTReeves from the other thread, who had the hernia?). ETA: Good luck for your son as well!

Piwi – Re feeling lightheaded / fainting: Yup. I guess it's low blood pressure and an even lower RHR. When your heart only beats every 1.5 seconds, blood takes its time to get back to your head once you send it to your legs by standing up too quickly.

Zebano – “Hah I guess I didn't realize everyone but me in this thread is in New Zealand. Actually if I'm counting I think there are 3 other Americans but I should pay more attention to geography.Plus three or four more Americans (can't name them since I don't know who you are thinking of), Flavio from Italy, Marco from Italy/Ireland (if you're lurking: hope all is well), and the latest addition to the thread from Germany. Hope you tested negative as well. ETA: I see James beat me to it.

Me – I've been busy with life, three children out of school/kindergarten (holidays), trying to get together some useful information about my training (bilingual – metric and imperial), and preparation for the seemingly inevitable second lockdown. Or quarantine, whichever comes first – just got a notice, that a kindergarten teacher of our son tested positive ...

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

watson - Nice RR and all the best on a quick recovery.  Very nicely paced - a light wind day with no stops and I think you can break 19, so I imagine this mishap is extremely frustrating.

Mark - I'll reiterate my thoughts of a few pages ago about giving the road running champs a miss.  It does sound like you need some more recovery time.

James - Hope things get less complicated for you soon.

me - Had another session with my running coach last night.  He's adding in a 6th running day to my week, with just a short easy run.  His thinking is this is the best way to safely increase the volume.  I asked him what he thought I could expect at Queenstown based on my training.  He looked at the course profile and factored in the trails and decided on 1:32-33.  I think he's being conservative to keep the pressure off and help avoid some race anxiety.  I'm doing the same and trying to take all time pressure off myself and have a good experience.  With some community transmission at the moment I think it's a 50-50 chance of happening but that will increase every day, I hope.

piwi - If I get to Queenstown I will have done 3 halfs (including the time trial) and a 10km this year making 2020 the year of my most ever races, which is a bit crazy.  I think that is because it's my best run of consistency in training with no niggles (fingers crossed) for over a decade, and doing a time trial and small race has eliminated the Covid factor.  Along with living in a remote part of the world of course.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

The course does not look slow to me.  It is net downhill by around 60 metres.

I think your aim is good though.  Much better to start on the slower side.

The wind on my race was NOT worth 30s.  I would say 15s over ideal.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

Edit - a lot is trail / dirt track.  So it might need to be a by feel race with no specific time aim.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I wasn't saying the wind was worth 30 seconds, but that in good conditions you are on track to break 19.  As long as you don't lose too much in your recovery.

I did Queenstown in 2017 and don't recall the course being that difficult.  I had very inconsistent training and had a bad cold and did 1:35.  If it wasn't for my recent race struggles, I would say with my current fitness and no cold (I hope), I should smash that time.  But nothing can be taken for granted.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve i suffer race anxiety too. Its like a looming deadline of upcoming pain 

I thinks its a case of turning that worry into excitement and trusting the whole training process.

The relief after a well executed race is a real high though.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Watson / Steve - Queenstown is slow-ish for a mostly flat course due to the large amount of trail, plus it's a bit twisty and turny in places.  There's no big hills as such though.

Steve - yeah, I just have FOMO when it comes to races, particularly this year with the volume of stuff that's been cancelled.  But having said that, between NZ 10,000m Champs in March, the North Shore Run Series, and the Wairarapa Marathon, I've still got a lot to show for what has been a pretty challenging year.  There's a realistic chance that if I entered NZ Road Champs I could bomb spectacularly (or worse, injure myself) which would totally go against my 'consistency is king' mantra.

I had an unbelievable series of races in 2019 - I was reflecting on that yesterday and thinking what an absolute dream run it was (excuse the pun) especially with all the other challenges.  But in hindsight, the periodisation of my training, racing and recovery last year was near perfect, plus I was running HM or shorter races that don't carry the same training volume or recovery requirements as a marathon.  This year has had an obscenely long block of high volume training and a marathon.  I just need to hit the reset button and be patient.  I think it's far more realistic to target Mt. Maunganui Half in 4.5 weeks.  Even that will probably not be particularly fast as it'll be pretty warm.

Watson - nice RR.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Twists and turns can be deceptively slow.  Our club has several races through twisty bush, and it slows me down 20-30s per km.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - yeah, these are weird times, I have rhinitis which keeps me with a constant sore throat which from time to time results in cold-like symptoms.

The first few weeks back in March I was super on edge. I’ve since then figured out that if I’m not short of breath I’m alright, though I will avoid contact with others when I have symptoms, of course.

Watson - thanks for the report!

James - Oh man, your poor kiddo can’t catch a break. Hopefully this one will be quick.

Josh - I kept waiting until my Italian citizenship got recognised because then I could visit the mosaics for free. Then I had to move to Bologna super quick and never got to visit them LOL.

Ravenna is a hidden gem though, super pleasant town.

We’ll now have the Rona floating around for the full 6 months of winter, I’m curious what the governments will do since it seems no matter what they do the Coronavirus has his way.

It looks like we'll have to run quite a few more time trials...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly