Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Interesting.  I considered the cop car by far the safer choice.  Especially since they contacted the race management so it was known where I was.  

I could just see myself getting into this stranger's car and vanishing, never to be seen again.  It'd eventually make one of those 30 minute mid-afternoon TV shows  - "runner mysteriously and surprisingly drops out of a marathon very early, and is never seen again."

[but yeah, when a stranger gets VERY INSISTENT that he give me a ride back to my hotel, I get VERY RELUCTANT]

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-kidnaps-woman-baptize-her-underwear/

After humiliating her, kidnapping her, sexually assaulting her, and “baptizing” her, deputy Wilkey then arrested Riley for the marijuana roach.

1 month ago.

Now when someone you've never met, don't know from online, AND ISN'T A RUNNER it's totally understandable you don't get in a car with them. I always put situations I've entered as a "imagine your kid tells you they're going to...." and then end it with "but it's totally different because they're a ____" and people kind of think twice. "totally weird if they're those online video game people, but (triathletes, horse riders, artists, burning man, Jeepers, etc.) so it's different." As someone who doesn't identify as a woman anywhere I totally get trusting a cop. Too many stories of cops abusing power to make me not second guess entering a car with someone with that much power and a gun.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Also, I did a "not-a-race" report if anyone's interested.  I've found that lot of people are curious about the mechanics of dropping out in a small, non-urban, point-to-point marathon.

My advice, if you must drop out in a race without public transportation, do it near race officials or police.

https://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2020/03/race-report-one-city-marathon-march-1.html

Darkwave - Hope all is well. Wishing you a speedy recovery/ back to normalcy,  that nothing is really wrong.  I just read your race report, what a coincidence. The winner of the full is a good friend of mine very close with my GF. She always reaches out to me to pace her through long run workouts. She had a BAD NYC and this was a redeemer to capitalize on fitness.  She is not on my team but we used to be teammates and she lives very close to me.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've been on long runs before and gotten an injury and thought about hitchhiking home.  I think I would risk it rather than hours walking home...mind you, I live in NZ so I'd probably get picked up by my cousin....or Nathan Jones.  You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a dodgy policeman at a marathon?  I feel like darkwave could kick anyones ass anyway - I have nothing to base this on, just an impression I have.

So obviously the US Olympic trials aren't something I really follow but I came across a podcast called Running on om featuring Molly Siedel.  Definitely worth a listen, she sounds like a very interesting person, and a champion.  The podcast was recorded a month or 2 before the trials.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

Rune  - I'd love to see those workouts. I'll give their podcast a try since I seem to be running short of things to listen to on the bike right now.

OK, here's a sample workout. I can share my google sheet with you so we don't clog up the running boards with swim workouts. I'll show what the really fast people do/what I did when I was in ok swimming shape. Most of the workouts I did should last for about an hour and a half.

10 minute easy warm up (800yds/500yds for me)

5x50 kick/50 swim, light progression in speed, kick with fins/snorkel (4x50/50 for me)

3x400 pulling (with ankle strap/buoy/snorkel), progressive (4x300 for me)

20x25 fast, 10 sec recovery between each (16x25 for me)

400 pull recovery in zone 2 or 70% effort (300 for me)

Repeat last two steps 3x

Cool down (400/200)

For the fast people this was 5600 yards, I was at 4100. So this isn't really a recovery workout in its true form, except it kind of is for running since you have little load on your legs. And then you also get a great aerobic effect of it as well.

My physical therapist said I could try some easy swimming again too so now I finally feel like I'm on my way back!

dw - I have to agree with everyone you made the right decision. I also had no idea what the IS joint was until now.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well it looks like sickness has gotten the best of me, which is forcing me to rest my injury! Been sick now for 2 days. Thought I was turning the corner yesterday but my fever has returned, so I won’t be running. Not great timing with the NYC Half, but then again, I’m still not sure that will go on given the coronavirus looks like it’s starting to spread in NYC. It’s crazy how this entire cycle may have been wasted, but we shall see how this virus (both my personal and corona) evolves. I think Boston is greater than 50% cancellation at this point.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So much to catch up on! Hopefully I'm not missing much here, but my apologies if I do.

Mostly tough days at the races all around (E11, I've got that RR queued)... Plenty of good weeks.

Rune - Great to see you sticking your head in here again! Way to be smart about the running.

Flavio - Altra is messing with their shoes?? I guess that's what I get for buying 1/2-1 versions back for cheap on ebay rather than keeping up with their latest ones. Though I have wondered if they plan on trying to follow with the whole "super shoe" trend. I'm guessing not.
              Also, thanks for the table generator!!!

MRakers - Killer improvement on the 5k!

DWave - I subscribe to the same school of thought you do regarding gels during a HM. Thanks for the tip regarding dropping from a race like that - I've genuinely wondered about that.
              Hopefully the chiro gets you lined out. Do you use a pillow between your knees when you sleep? I used to have issues in the SI department that practically disappeared in just two nights of starting to use one myself.

JMac - Sorry that your sick, but nice that there's the upside of it simultaneously resting that injury. Hopefully they're both resolved quickly, regardless of if you have to pull out of Botswana or not.

Me - DW and I stopped for a few days at a B&B halfway back from Ft. Worth to prematurely celebrate our 10th anniversary. Having several days of nothing to do but relax (and hardly touching my phone) was really nice.
              Cowtown is probably the favorite course out of the marathons I've run. From the beginning I should have just canned all thoughts of a time goal and ran just a bit harder than easy. I do think I could have gone sub-3 if only the heat (slightly warmer than Dallas to start, but quite a bit less humid) or wind (starting at 15-17 mph or so) had been there, but both at once was just way too much. Trying to hold the full effort was just not smart.
              I tried holding on all I could until ~18.5 when the course turned back and went largely with the wind (my stomach also started turning a bit around here with my last gel) hoping that boost would help, but it didn't help as much as I thought it might and the effort required to salvage even a BQ (which likely still wouldn't have made cut-off) was more than I wanted to give, so I decided to run/walk it in from there to save the extra stress.
              I almost made it past the marathon/50k course split before realizing that I might not be able to make checkout at the hotel if I did the full 50k distance, so I dropped to the full. Honestly, the thought of a time-crunch for hotel checkout hadn't crossed my mind before that, so that's something I've made a note to better prepare for in the future.
              I haven't made any decisions about trying to try for a fast marathon (Grandma's? Bismark?) later in the year yet. I did sign up for the OKC Memorial Marathon this morning (comped entry that came in while I was gone, courtesy of my employer). I'll likely take it easy for that one, but if I'm feeling particularly good when it rolls around AND the weather is favorable (doubtful on the last part) I might make a go of it.
              I do have a silly thing I'm considering doing next weekend, and there is an 11 miler between two towns I grew up near that I'm considering running as well (this would just be a fun run).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well it looks like sickness has gotten the best of me, which is forcing me to rest my injury! Been sick now for 2 days. Thought I was turning the corner yesterday but my fever has returned, so I won’t be running. Not great timing with the NYC Half, but then again, I’m still not sure that will go on given the coronavirus looks like it’s starting to spread in NYC. It’s crazy how this entire cycle may have been wasted, but we shall see how this virus (both my personal and corona) evolves. I think Boston is greater than 50% cancellation at this point.

*sips cheap Mexican beer sugar free Rockstar drink while living in an area with a population density under 10,000*

Damn. Hop you feel better soon. I know the half was a big goal for you going into Boston. I think you'll surprise yourself. Oh and remember while YOU'RE sick you're going to have a kid needing your assistance. IT. SUCKS. I was in bed the first week we were home with my son. Wife slept in the other room because I went from the bed to the bathroom and back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - get well soon.

We've had a handful of confirmed cases down here in NZ.  The media hysteria has actually gotten quite silly - when the first confirmed case was announced last Friday, people went nuts and there were massive queues at the supermarkets which promptly sold out of hand sanitiser and essentials like toilet paper and bottled water (but not canned food?!?!).  Ultimately it is a slightly more dangerous (or possibly slightly less dangerous) equivalent of the flu.

No sign of it impacting races down here yet.  I think Southern Lakes should be fine as it's a small race (limited to 500 I think) in a slightly remote location and they will probably just go ahead regardless.  Maraetai Half is this weekend, as is Ironman down in Taupo, both are going full steam ahead.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Okay, so I accidentally posted this in the Marathon thread. I thought I was in this thread because so many people are the same. Here is my post:

- - - -

Hello all, I am back. I felt like I was taking up the whole thread with my half marathon report.

Boston Cancelation: If Boston were 2-3 weeks out, I'd be worried. But I feel like we will reach a "new normal" by April. It seems like this virus cannot be contained, so it might be a matter of ensuring people adhere to best practices for germ avoidance. I feel like the whole world now understand the germaphobia I experience during a taper!  I am thinking the likelihood of it being canceled is very low.

Course Errors: Course errors are the worst and I always fear them if I can't see at least one runner ahead of me. The worst was Rehoboth beach when you ran on a gravel trail. Thankfully I had one person with me and we didn't get lost. My best story for this was the Love Rox half marathon in Richmond 7 years ago. The leaders went the wrong way and thus, the first 100-200 runners also went the wrong way. When they realized it, they turned around, so all the runners turned around and it was complete mayhem. That course also had 6 flights of staircases. It was the most poorly organized race I have ever run.

Caffeine: I've read several articles by running dietitians that said that if you have caffeine, you have to wait an hour for it to kick in. So, when I took a caffeinated gel at mile 7, with just 42 minutes today, I probably didn't get the full effect. I wonder if I should be taking the gel sooner, but I don't want it to spike my blood sugar, and then crash. My husband theorizes that maybe the caffeine lowered my heart rate, but that wouldn't explain why it did NOT go down in Indy when I had the same fueling.

Brewing: I really hope you nailed the interview and that you get the job.

JTReeves: Hello. Good plan on getting fast now and then adding endurance later. I've heard great things about Hartford!

Cyberic: So awesome that you run commute. Efficient use of time. That weather sounds so miserable. Do you have access to a treadmill?  You can post in this forum without talking about your training. Lots of good non-training convo here.

Longboat: Sorry about the achilles tendon. Do you have insertional tendonitis or something else? I have heard that the night splint and the stretching are not good for it if it's insertional. Weighed heel drops really worked for me.

AceHarris: Cool about Nathan. I had a really good experience with Black Diamond headlamps. Their headlamp didn't fit my head so they CUSTOM made me my own strap!

- - - - - -

Okay, so I did my Thursday-after-Sunday half marathon workout. 1 mile @ 10K pace, 3 minutes recovery, 8 x 800m at 10K pace, with one minute recovery, 3 minutes recovery, 1 mile FULL-OUT. I was shooting for 6:35 as my 10K pace with the 800's being 3:17-3:18 with such short recoveries. But I was a little faster:

6:35

3:19, 3:14, 3:14, 3:16, 3:17: 3:16, 3:15, 3:14

6:24

This was not as hard as I had anticipated because it was 10K pace and not all-out 800s. I had plenty of energy for that final mile and was happy that it was over 10 seconds faster than the first. So I keep earning my recovery phenom title. Hopefully this means I can run a 6:35 pace at my next 10K, provided the weather is good. Although nothing is ever as flat as the track.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Now I will respond to what people are saying in THIS thread.

SteveChCh: Do you use RunningAhead to track shoe mileage? I don't track shoes in Strava because I do it here.

mrakers: That sounds like a really exciting 5K to be chasing down the high school students. I ran my first sub 20 at the age of 40 so I think you can be setting PRs for many years to come.

JMac: I hope the cough is just allergies and that it goes away.  . . . read your more recent post. Sorry to hear you are sick. I think that the NYC half has a greater chance of being canceled than Boston. By that point, I think they will have either realized that the virus cannot be contained, or realized that canceling these huge events is not a solution.

Darkwave: Thank you for the encouragement. You have gotten so much faster over the past few years- it inspires me and makes me believe that I can too. Good note about heart rate and the weather. My heart rate got up to 199 the the Firecracker 5K last summer.

And as a fellow-reynaud's sufferer, that's a really interesting perspective. Okay, so I won't beat myself up for wimping out based on HR data. I'm relieved to hear that you don't have a super serious injury. Hopefully the chiro can fix it up and you'll be training again in no time. I was actually really interested about the logistics in you dropping out, but at the time I didn't think it was really appropriate to ask!

Brewing: I agree with Darkwave that if you went sub 3:00 at CIM you can get under 1:30. And I don't think you need a net downhill course to do it.

CommanderKeen: Oh,  happy 10th anniversary. My husband and I were also married in 2010, but in August. A good year for marriage. It's good to hear you liked Cowtown so much because that's on my list. I have family in Ft. Worth. That's super awesome that you have a comped entry to OKC. It's good you can be flexible based on the weather and how you feel.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Running Problem

Problem Child

Elisabeth I HATE when people call a virus a germ. I know it's a broad term. A virus just isn't a living thing. It's like people asking for antibiotics being upset because "they didn't give me anythign for it." yeah  because it's a virus, not bacteria...or a BIOtic where BIO = living.

Thanks for the hopes. I'm expecting to hear back in about a month. Today was the last round of interviews. It could take 3 months just to ACTUALLY get offered a job. same background process law enforcement go through.

mark yeah I thought Purell stock would be going up but it's privately held. Amazon is upset people are marking up hand sanitizer. A friend sent me a photo. Apparently there was a woman in a Las Vegas Costco yelling at people trying to buy toilet paper. She had a flat with 13 packs of toilet paper. Each pack has 30 rolls of toilet paper. In front of her is another 15 packs of toilet paper. I wouldn't be so kind about taking toilet paper from her. "If you don't give me toilet paper I'll wipe my corona virus infected fecal material on you and you won't need to worry about toilet paper."

Sometimes I'm glad I don't go onto face page anymore. Blissful ignorance as to how dangerous the world is during an election cycle. Oh and some kids locally died from an overdose of fentanyl and MDMA. Parents "want justice" and my comments wouldn't be appreciated.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Wait, what?  Brew's got a sub-3 marathon and doesn't know if he can hit a sub-1:30 half on a (non-CIM) course?

And you all call me a sandbagger?!?! 

Brew- the media here are getting a little bit crazy about coronavirus, which unfortunately has led to some people getting really hysterical.  The corollary of that is that most people who aren't hysterical think the hysterical people have gone crazy (which they have), and are causing the opposite problem - undermining the threat by saying that people are just getting hysterical.  The 'sensible' response is probably somewhere in between (we need to be careful but ITS NOT A NUCLEAR APOCALYPSE).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Under 10,000/sq mi? *Laughs in rural Oklahoma* sub-190/mi here! Though that's largely because the power-hungry city council has decided on huge boundaries for the city which includes lots of farmland with few people living there.

E11 - Nice post-race workout!
                            Nothing is as flat as a track, but you didn't have competition in that workout and weren't gassed at the end of it. Social facilitation/competition and true race effort (not to mention not being just a few days post-HM) can go a long ways.

Irrational(?) mental stuff - Dallas was pretty warm and humid, but by far my biggest issue was just that stomach bug kicking in mid-race. Ft. Worth was warm (but not too humid) and windy, and I know I simply failed to adjust effort properly for that. Before the both of them I had a really good HM, though. The logical part of my mind tells me that I've been putting up good training and lots of volume but simply made a mistake in Ft. Worth and that I would have been screwed no matter what the conditions were in Dallas.
                            But there's some sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that's telling me that my training just isn't right at all and/or I'm just not cut out for this fast marathoning stuff and that I should stick to races in the 10k-25k range. Or that since I've liked the training I should just stick to that and avoid races altogether.
                            Typically the logical side of me wins hands down (and that side is currently in the lead as-is), but the little doubts are a bit concerning because they're new and two failed marathons in a row (whatever the reasoning) provide a little backup to them, despite that good half.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Elizabeth I agree I think things will settle down once this initial corona virus hysteria settles.

I think there are so many races these days that the organizational standards can be low with alot of them put on by non runners. This leads to course errors and insufficient marshals etc.

Mark crazy that supermarket chaos. 4 cases in NZ which will obviously grow but still an over reaction.

Brewing Ive come out the other side of kids... almost, 2 have left home and the other 2 sleep till 11am on weekends and dont want to do anything with me as Im old 

Jmac good forced rest for you. I guess living in a huge city with people in close proximity does make for spreading a virus more easily.

Steve i used to take my phone on long runs incase I needed to call my wife for a pick up or general safety. They can be a pain though bouncing round in your pockets.

Rune great job hanging in there. Watching you on Strava has been good. Looking forward to the comeback.

Keen did you run a marathon or 50k ? Sorry Im out of the loop. Im still following OKC in the NBA. They advertise the OKC marathon on there.

I feel a little more motivated this week which has coincided with some nice cooler temps although one horrible muggy day. I tried a beginners speed workout yesterday with 3kms of quicker stuff at about 3.55/km which didnt feel to tough.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Re caffeine - for me it will kick in sometime between 20-60 minutes, normally around 30 minutes.  I just take caffeine pills before the race.  I had one 5k race where it took 60 minutes, and by that stage the race had finished.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25